Experiences with non-techies

There is more stuff like this on reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport.

however, now to my story. I work for a IT company at mulitple locations and one of these we have to deal with patrons, the most dreaded job. It's at a library and we have to make tickets with pin numbers to sign in, and they always ask for help with really simple things and it requires a lot of patience. However, some make me realize why there's directions on poptarts. Here it is: Lady at the library for my job, asks me to go over and help her so I oblige.

"Why do you guys have this bing thing? this is illegal according to the freedom of choice act of 1972" me: "It's just a search engine, you can use google if you want, just type google" her: "It's Illegal for you guys to do this" me: "Uh no it's not, you have the choice to use google, just search for it...." her: "Yeah but it searches through bing" me: "Until you click on google and search through google" her: "This is illegal and your job sucks, I feel sorry for you and this illegal business" me: "If you have no further questions I have to leave. Thanks, have a good day."

I just posted it to facebook on thursday haha. I have a ton of stories like this.

just a tip, select your text and change font colour to default B) :D us ngiht theme users are dying ovah heer. :o

People that don't know what "internet browser" means.

This is one of those things that make me think people just go stupid the second technology gets involved.

i forgot my laptop and phone at home and i needed to google search some nutritional stuff for a tea i was trying to order. 

so i asked my mom to unlock her ipad for me.

this is what happened. 

-   ''what do you mean unlock???''

i explained it.

-   ''oooohhh, you mean turn it on?''

i explain she hasnt turned it off in the past 6 months.

-   ''oh, well whatever''

she unlocks it for me. 

-   ''mom, where's safari?'' i ask. (somehow, SOME FUCKING HOW it wasnt on any of her home slides, doesnt apple make it so you cant un-install???) 

-   ''whats safari?'' she replies. 

-   ''the defualt web browser for IOS'' i answer. 

-   ''Aaron Terrah, stop making up words to sound smart and just do what you needed to do'' she remarks. 

-i have to download it and show her-

''ooohhh, you mean internet explorer apple edition?'' she says after i show her. 

<WAT_meme>

He also says his  3770k has 8 cores.

this reminds me..

when you go to a place where they sell computers (i cant say bestbuy, because all the best buys within 50 miles of my hosue ive been kicked out of and banned from. x'D ) and you see the people all like ''QUAD CORE PREFORMANCE''

and you're just like

''........... neh breh.'' 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

just a tip, select your text and change font colour to default B) :D us ngiht theme users are dying ovah heer. :o

i forgot my laptop and phone at home and i needed to google search some nutritional stuff for a tea i was trying to order.

so i asked my mom to unlock her ipad for me.

this is what happened.

- ''what do you mean unlock???''

i explained it.

- ''oooohhh, you mean turn it on?''

i explain she hasnt turned it off in the past 6 months.

- ''oh, well whatever''

she unlocks it for me.

- ''mom, where's safari?'' i ask. (somehow, SOME FUCKING HOW it wasnt on any of her home slides, doesnt apple make it so you cant un-install???)

- ''whats safari?'' she replies.

- ''the defualt web browser for IOS'' i answer.

- ''Aaron Terrah, stop making up words to sound smart and just do what you needed to do'' she remarks.

-i have to download it and show her-

''ooohhh, you mean internet explorer apple edition?'' she says after i show her.

<WAT_meme>

this reminds me..

when you go to a place where they sell computers (i cant say bestbuy, because all the best buys within 50 miles of my hosue ive been kicked out of and banned from. x'D ) and you see the people all like ''QUAD CORE PREFORMANCE''

and you're just like

Home shopping networks are just like this. QUAD CORE!! QUAD CORE!!! BUY IT NOW, IT'S ULTRA FAST!!!

No you dumbasses, that's only part of what you need to know. You also need to know model number and clock speed as well.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

this reminds me..

and you're just like

Home shopping networks are just like this. QUAD CORE!! QUAD CORE!!! BUY IT NOW, IT'S ULTRA FAST!!!

No you dumbasses, that's only part of what you need to know. You also need to know model number and clock speed as well.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

<html>

<facedesk>

<facepalm>

</facepalm>

</facedesk>

</html>

Is facepalming inside a facedesk even possible? If so how would that work?

Shouldn't it be

<html>

<div id="facedesk">

<p>Splat</p>

</div>

<div id="facepalm">

<p>Slap</p>

</div>

</html>

Oh god, I've forgotten what <div> does....

Semantics.

Weird how I know HTML better than English and I forgot what <div> does as well.

A div container...?

It's been like 4 months for me but I'm jogging the memory a bit :P

i have no idea what any of you are talking about. 

:wacko:  :huh:  :mellow:

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

HTML, it's the type of code used to build websites :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

<html>  <body>    <a href="http://w3schools.com/">Basic HTML...</a>  </body></html>

Take some of those computer science classes. First thing they'll do is teach you HTML.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

He also says his  3770k has 8 cores.

Look at my comment...

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Take some of those computer science classes. First thing they'll do is teach you HTML.

I took some of those a few years back... First thing they taught us was the history of computers...

When ever the internet in my house doesnt work or has some issues , my sister and my mom and dad would blame me .

they thought they made burth to an IT support speciallist .

(⌐■_■) 

-snippy the dog-

that was gold x'd

-Jim Hensen

maybe i'll join osme of the classes at freegeek. :D

-Jim Hensen

What would piss me off is the fact that when my sis wants to talk about 1 of my fave subject: audio.

I can't stop hearing Best beats by Dr.ripoff every 2 seconds.

The power of marketing...

What would piss me off is the fact that when my sis wants to talk about 1 of my fave subject: audio.

I can't stop hearing Best beats by Dr.ripoff every 2 seconds.

they're literally just good looking bass cannons. even for that they're oeverpriced, thier 350$ set i'd put at 125$. 

(and personally they're not really good looking, they're just modern and hipsterish)

theres this super douchy lookin hipster guy at my school i got to every monday who has a pair, 

he understands ''i got them for looks, and thats about it, at home i have my HE 500's and an amp a friend gave me''

but all the people he hangs out with......... they are constantly plugging in their ipods and iphones into them and sitting there listending by his side, ''OH MY GOD THESE ARE SOOOO GOOOOODDD'' 

its like......

have you not heard high quality audio before?

like.. ever? not even the bose ones next to th beats solos at best buy?

-Jim Hensen

The power of marketing...

senhieser really should have commercials... T^T talking about how thier headphones actually sound instaed of ''OHHH HUEHEUEHUEHE I CAN GET IT IN ANY OF THESE 3 COLOURS HUHEEHUEH'' 

and yes. only sennhieser. 

they're the most popular, and will get people into audio the right way. they will naturally learn about the other brands on their own.

-Jim Hensen

there was a lady at freegeek who walked into the thrift store and baught a few fans from the bin i was in. (not actually in, no, i only fit in the monitor stand bin) 

she came back about 3 minutes later asking what they were supposed to do. 

i'll end it there. 

-Jim Hensen

When people just assume that you can always fix whatever problem they have.

you're a techie therefore you know how to re-write all of windows for them in 9 mintutes.

duh.

-Jim Hensen

you're a techie therefore you know how to re-write all of windows for them in 9 mintutes.

duh.

I know some people what honestly think I'm like this. They give me a computer and say something like "I can't connect to the WiFi, fix it" without any more information. Yes I'm fairly good at troubleshooting but I usually need information to do it.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

if any of us techies becomes a celebrity, just wear auto technicas and when the other guys get pissed at you, tear a beats packaging box and then throw it at them.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(