Experiences with non-techies

There is this person at the Verizion store when I was getting my S5. He directed me to cases, and I am like why? they make my phone look like shit. He is like its not waterproof. He said he put his S5 in the tub, and pulled it out and it got rekt. Its waterproof for real world settings, not for testing limits of IP certifications. You look ONLINE for limits, NOT throwing 600 dollars down the toilet.

#WaterGate

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i get what you're saying. and completely agree. (i hope)

dumb:

times 6 and 4

smart

6 times 4

correct? :D

Correct. It irritates me too.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

#WaterGate2015

no, just #watergate it cant be a specific year because at that point its just a joke. 

was it ever gamergate,insertyear>?

no. x'D 

this needs to be a long running joke. x'D 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

no, just #watergate it cant be a specific year because at that point its just a joke. 

was it ever gamergate,insertyear>?

no. x'D 

this needs to be a long running joke. x'D 

fixedgate

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Correct. It irritates me too.

^_^ yey im smartz. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Im at someones house. Theres the typical fucking asshole who wants to watch youtube, so instead of using the android (thank god) tablets available, he is like bitching about crap like apple is superior and applemasterrace (he didnt say that) so he goes on a shitty old pentium 3 HP abomination, takes 2 mins to load windows xp. he complains on how fucking slow is is and crap, and yeah when he left we had a much better time.

He is a real dick FYI, as he kept kicking me in the shins. My signature move (Console killer) will make him on the floor crying about why he could just stayed home

#PCMasterRace. Dont be offended. Calm down. Its a joke.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Listening to radio, heard this in an ad: "hotels.com is the best .com for booking hotels, and the worst .com for anything else"

It's called a website, not a .com

Morons

It's like when people say times instead of multiply. "and then you times three by five and get fifteen". It's MULTIPLY, you idiots.

Last year in my advanced math class (actually is advanced, too) I was too lazy to differentiate between "times" and "multiply". The teacher was having me explain a problem that I happened to be the only one in the class to understand, which is rare, and I couldn't decide which to say, so I said "times-eply" which we still use in the current year of my special math.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

There is this person at the Verizion store when I was getting my S5. He directed me to cases, and I am like why? they make my phone look like shit. He is like its not waterproof. He said he put his S5 in the tub, and pulled it out and it got rekt. Its waterproof for real world settings, not for testing limits of IP certifications. You look ONLINE for limits, NOT throwing 600 dollars down the toilet.

Guess he didn't take it apart and dry it before testing if it worked.

Im at someones house. Theres the typical fucking asshole who wants to watch youtube, so instead of using the android (thank god) tablets available, he is like bitching about crap like apple is superior and applemasterrace (he didnt say that) so he goes on a shitty old pentium 3 HP abomination, takes 2 mins to load windows xp. he complains on how fucking slow is is and crap, and yeah when he left we had a much better time.

He is a real dick FYI, as he kept kicking me in the shins. My signature move (Console killer) will make him on the floor crying about why he could just stayed home

#PCMasterRace. Dont be offended. Calm down. Its a joke.

i feel like the only people left on the planet with any logic in their heads are the ones who are techs. 

how the fuck is a 2014 macbook pro with like an SSD and some haswel proccesor something fair to compare to 2005 dual core 500gig-HDD thing from dell?!?!?

-Jim Hensen

A few stories come to mind. 

1) Went to Best Buy to purchase a new laptop HD on short notice due to an unexpected HD failure. I purchased it for a price that made me wince because of what I'd seen for the same device online, but I couldn't wait because of an upcoming research deadline. I went to Geek Squad and asked them if they'd install it (out of sheer curiousity), and they said that they do offer the service. I asked if it was free, and they said, "no, we usually charge $100 but drop it to $50 if you buy the HD here." In shock, I asked the man to hand me his screwdriver. I then removed the old HD, installed the new one, returned the screwdriver to him, and asked, "$50 for that!?" After a moment of silently nodding, he then asked me if I wanted a job there. (To be honest, I almost applied, but then saw the sales quota in the contract, and I want no business being in a repair company with sales quotas) 

2) In 6th grade (a long time ago) our school replaced the powermacs with windows machines. In order to turn off the new Windows computers, you needed to press start to shut down. At the end of computer lab, both the school secretary sat staring at the computer, wondering how to turn it off, while the whole class tried to tell them. They simply couldn't believe that the computer would have you press "start" to shut down. They argued with us for about 10 minutes before they tried and their jaws dropped open. I never had so much fun laughing at adults as a child. 

3) Opened up some computers in high school for my teachers that weren't working. Running Win 98, they had the minimum (I think 64 MB?) RAM plugged in, and couldn't boot up properly. Easiest solution? I took some shelved computers and cannibalized them so that my teachers could perform their grading. The next day, the janitor came in and told the teachers that he'd have to report the computers as "stolen" because the components were missing (he was the makeshift IT staff for that high school of 2600). The teachers quickly removed me from class and asked what we should do. So I put the cases back on the cannibalized computers and told them to say the components had been replaced. Sure enough, the next day he really thought everything was fine, even with some computers missing optical drives and HDs! Literally all I did with those cases was rotate it so that he couldn't see. He had no idea if the components were still there, or even if it would run. 

4) Same high school, more fun. We had network switches to connect multiple computers to one internet connection (literally PnP), but none of the teachers knew how they worked. Problem was, the classroom orientation was constantly changing from semester to semester, as was where the computers were situated. And while the janitors could plug in the computers correctly, we usually were left with a ball of ethernet cables on top of the network switch. So each semester I got to travel to the social studies classes to fix all the computers. 

5) Same high school. The math department head wasn't very tech savvy, and we had some extra computers lying around. So one day, the physics teacher took one of the other computers and switched it out from under the monitor. The math department head was very surprised to turn on the computer, have to change the username to log in (from a teacher who'd been retired for 3+ years), and then find all her files missing! Finally the physics teacher had to explain to the math head what happened before she ran off to "IT" to solve it. 

6) A+ Computer class at the same HS. Our textbook was supposed to prepare us for A+ certification for computer repair. At first, the book seemed legitimate, but then took a turn for the worse. It never mentioned the cooling fluid between the CPU and the CPU fan (which our teacher concluded was unnecessary and should be removed, before a kid in class from CompUSA stopped him), and it told us that there were only 128 USB devices available for peripheral use...as if the number was accurate or ever even slightly meaningful. Worse yet, it constantly mixed up directions between Windows ME, NT, and 2000...it was more entertaining than educational. 

7) Let someone borrow my GoPro for a rodeo video shoot. Thought it'd be cool to get some horseback footage. She borrowed the camera, and the charger, and came back a week later and asked why it stopped working. She was really worried that she broke it. I turned it on, and sure enough, she hadn't charged it! I asked her if she had, and she said that I gave it to her fully charged and she shouldn't need to. I tried to explain how batteries need to be recharged and she couldn't handle it. This happened twice. Not a month later I had recharged it and lent it to her again, and then repeated the process a week later. 

8) Working in cheerleading. Worked for a cheer company. They wanted to stream videos across wifi and share internet across the same connection. Their solution? A wireless extender. No router, no switch, just an extender. And they think it's the only thing that can work because it "uniquely" (their words) can connect to an HD and share the files with anyone on the network. Worse yet, it's a Mac product, so they spent the same amount of money on the extender that I could use to run a switch and double router system on. 

the part about the GoPro batteries made me giggle. :3

-Jim Hensen

I know some people what honestly think I'm like this. They give me a computer and say something like "I can't connect to the WiFi, fix it" without any more information. Yes I'm fairly good at troubleshooting but I usually need information to do it.

Reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of months back. Not sure if I've posted that already but oh well if I have.

Client rings up. I don't know what her job is but I think it's secretary or office manager or something along those lines but she rang up to say her boss (one of the big shots of the company) couldn't connect to the server on his laptop. She wasn't by his laptop and he was in a meeting and she had 0 other information on the matter. Everyone else in the office was fine so it was just him so clearly the best option would be to remote onto his computer and look from there. Since that wasn't an option she had us to everything else. Check the server, their routers etc. which could be done remotely.

A couple of weeks ago, someone from the same company (new person, basically the above client's bitch - lets call the above client A and the bitch B) called up saying she has a black screen after she signs in. Naturally I can't do shit remotely and I know from experience I can't trust them to follow any instructions I give over the phone. My colleague was going down anyway in 40 mins because they needed a cable to connect B's laptop to their monitor and I told her he'd sort it out then. She calls back after 1 minute saying they need someone down asap because she can't work. I then asked my colleague and with a pissed off face he said to tell them he'd be there in half an hour. I do so. B wasn't happy so she gets A on the phone who then proceeds to ask if nothing can be done now remotely.

This turned more into a rant rather than story telling but w/e. :P

-SNIP-

God f*cking damn. Those last 2 make my brain hurt.

snip

a "few"  ;)

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

i feel like the only people left on the planet with any logic in their heads are the ones who are techs. 

how the fuck is a 2014 macbook pro with like an SSD and some haswel proccesor something fair to compare to 2005 dual core 500gig-HDD thing from dell?!?!?

People think that computer change nothing.... You know like food or a engine, there always the same, but some are better and other aren't... 

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

At my High School the textbooks we use still say to insert the floppy disk into the drive for the digital version of the textbook.

Also i think some of the funniest things are when non-tech-savy people try to explain how computers work....my english teacher tried to explain that a string (as in sequence of values) is like a essay by drawing a line on the whiteboard then drawing loops coming off it while saying this is also how string theory works.

In my last year of school this year and the IT Department have decided to replace all the computers in the school with Mac's.

Was telling my mum about it and saying how they should keep the Windows computers and she says "I'm sure they'll put Windows on the Mac's."

Turns out she thought that Windows was Microsoft Office...  :mellow:

Also we have computers in our year's common room, and we often play games on them during our study lessons so our "super smart" year adviser decides to take away all the ethernet cables so we can't LAN. Guess what happened, the computers are now useless because we can't login due to them not being connected to the school network.

Sometime over the last couple of weeks one of my clients complained she couldn't download anything because it was prompting for admin rights.

The company she works for runs on a domain system so I figured when the laptop was setup for her we forgot to set her as a local admin. I take a look and add her as a local admin. I probably should have been paying more attention as I would have probably noticed all domain users were set as local admin but I was pissed off at her because I was busy and she couldn't be bothered to bring the laptop up 1 set of stairs because it "saves her having to disconnect everything as it always seems to take forever to set back up" i.e. sit her laptop on the dock, plug in the external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, she emails back after 10 mins or so and says she's still having trouble. She also asks me what username she's meant to put down when prompted for admin rights..........................

In my last year of school this year and the IT Department have decided to replace all the computers in the school with Mac's.

Was telling my mum about it and saying how they should keep the Windows computers and she says "I'm sure they'll put Windows on the Mac's."

Turns out she thought that Windows was Microsoft Office...  :mellow:

Also we have computers in our year's common room, and we often play games on them during our study lessons so our "super smart" year adviser decides to take away all the ethernet cables so we can't LAN. Guess what happened, the computers are now useless because we can't login due to them not being connected to the school network.

You confirmed that with her? Maybe she's actually tech savy and was thinking they may have Windows VMs on those Macs. ;)

Also, lol @ teacher fail.

You confirmed that with her? Maybe she's actually tech savy and was thinking they may have Windows VMs on those Macs. ;)

Also, lol @ teacher fail.

Y'know, you can run it directly on the hardware too. heard of Boot Camp?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Peasants I'm so rich my dog chews xbones.  ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa  :lol:

2295167-Xbone_78982_screen.jpg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Anyone at cyberpowerpc pc, builds that have i7s, 16gb of ram, a 2tb hard drive, and then a micro Atx mobo, no ssd, and a gt 740. Then they sell it to people who know nothing about pcs and call them "Gaming"

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

Oh, thought of another. 

One of the head professors of my physics department brought his laptop to connect to the projector screen during the meeting. When his computer didn't automatically connect to the internet, a concerned look showed on his face. Not recognizing that the university requires you to login for wifi access, he waited to see if it'd work without him doing anything. Finally, he said he couldn't get it to work and said that IT would have to look at his laptop again. The rest of the professors agreed, while I sat there in shock. So when he left to call the IT person, I walked over to his computer, reconnected to the guest wifi, and when he came back, just said, "oh look, it's working now!" He was convinced the computer fixed it by itself, and the other professors didn't know what I did, even though they watched me do it. Help, I don't want to live on this planet anymore, they're all full PhDs in physics, many of whom use high tech equipment 24-7....

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

What?How...MIND BLOWN

mind-blown.jpg

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

My little brother used to think that the more data you store on an HDD, the heavier the component gets. He also thought that if you pivot the monitor clockwise during a transfer of files or an installation, it would go faster because the gravity would help the loading bar fill faster...^^

At what age

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Y'know, you can run it directly on the hardware too. heard of Boot Camp?

Yeah I know. She definitely doesn't know anything about that  she has MS Office on her Mac so thought that's what I meant when I mentioned windows. She doesn't even know what an OS is.