NVIDIA winning against Samsung in court!

LukaP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9143/samsungnvidia-case-update-nvidia-receives-favorable-outcome-at-markman-hearing

29614_nvidia-the-way-its-meant-to-be-pla

As you may be aware, NV and Samsung are in a court battle over Samsung allegedly using some of NV's graphics IP in their mobile SOCs. NVIDIA sued them, and samsung sued back, filing a claim against NV and Velocity Micro, a small PC shop that has nothing to do with any of this... 
So there was a Markman hearing, and the court kinda favoured NV it seems

In what NVIDIA calls a “favorable ruling” from the ITC, NVIDIA has received what they consider to be favorable definitions in 6 of their 7 disputed claims. To be clear this is not any kind of ruling on the validity of the claims themselves, but only that the court has (largely) sided with NVIDIA’s definitions for those 6 claims.

But sadly, in the counter suit by Samsung, they failed to move the case from Virgina to California where NV would have an easier time fighting back.

Finally, NVIDIA also posted a quick update on Samsung’s counter-suit against NVIDIA and Velocity Micro. The judge in that case has denied NVIDIA’s request to have the case moved from Virginia (Velocity Micro’s home state) to California (NVIDIA’s home state).

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Best of luck to them. 

Hopefully Samsung will have finally had enough of the court spamming after this. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I don't blame Nvidia at all, I hope they win.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why are they in court in the first place?

Samsung allegedly used some of their graphics IP without proper licencing (or any licencing at all)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Interesting article. Dunno why they went after Samsung as well as Qualcomm. Don't know how deep Nvidia's pockets are but I feel as if they aren't as deep as Samsung's.

dang... i hope this is a wake up for samsung

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

I don't really care about the lawsuits between the big companies, because more then likely it doesn't do anything (they will have the money back in no time). But Samsung suing the small company that's just exploiting the power. I mean even if they did something to piss of Samsung it's not fair battlefield.

1000 post hype!

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I had enough with Samsung copying the shit out of everything.

They should sue ARM instead because the Mali GPU is designed by ARM

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

There is going to be a court case. That is all that has been decided. No one has won anything. NVidia gets to sue on their definitions, which is not uncommon.

Not only does NVidia have the most hostile consumer strategies, in the gpu business, with their proprietary closed eco systems, resulting in low technology adoption, fewer product options and higher pricing (due to vendor lock in and the subsequent high switching cost).

If NVidia wins these court cases, both Samsung and Qualcomm will either be forced to stop making gpu's for mobile phones (a market with 0 market share from NVidia), or they will have to pay royalties/licensing. Either way, consumers lose.

I really do not understand, why anyone, who is NOT an NVidia shareholder, would hope for NVidia to win this.

Also bear in mind, that this entire case started with NVidia's BS patent trolling Kepler licensing strategy, trying to force itself on the entire ARM eco system. With a monumental 0 companies buying their BS, NVidia has now gone nuclear on the ARM eco systems: http://semiaccurate.com/2015/01/20/two-new-twists-nvidia-patent-trolling-kepler-license-scheme/

Ironically NVidia licenses IP from ARM, which is the only reason they didn't sue ARM. It makes sense, but considering that Samsung and Qualcomm is being sued for their own ARM based designs, this is essentially an attack by proxy on ARM as well.

This is a patent war between NVidia and ARM, not NVidia and Samsung per se.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I really do not understand, why anyone, who is NOT an NVidia shareholder, would hope for NVidia to win this.

So we should steal based on the fact that it would benefit the consumer?

OK.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

this along with the fact that there are rumors samsung might be buying AMD raises some shit together.

It's weird that samsung can counter a law suit with an other law suit, that sounds weird to me, although it's a solution to delaying the fact you have to pay and milk it out the infringement some more.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Did you actually read the shit @LukaP posted?

So we should steal based on the fact that it would benefit the consumer?

OK.

Steal what? This is a patent trolling exorcise by NVidia, to gain market share on the mobile platforms, without making any products or creating anything. Read up on the link to semiaccurate; they have the best in depth case analysis so far. Also nice straw man DERP.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Why is it any time someone makes a post about Nvidia.

Did you actually read the shit @LukaP posted?

Yes I did. Did you? Look at the thread title, then read the actual source. And read mine. The court date isn't even until June, but somehow NVidia has won it? Come on. Ironically, NVidia actually lost their claim to move the counter suit to their location of desire (Which Luka actually mentioned).

This is a bad case, and NVidia fanboys are liking it in droves (just look at the posts on this thread), yet seems to have little to no knowledge on what it is about. Even worse, they criticize Samsung for all of this. Samsung has done nothing in this case, but protect themselves, yet they are portrayed as the bad guys? Instead of just automatically going on NVidia's side, how about actually reading up on this case, and what lead up to it? You'd be so much more knowledgeable, and understand the consequences of NVidia's bully methods.

Steal what? This is a patent trolling exorcise by NVidia, to gain market share on the mobile platforms, without making any products or creating anything.

Patent trolling? This is the first time in 21 years that NVIDIA decided to sue a company over patent infringement, they rightfully own the patents and both Samsung and ARM likely knew that.

On that same note, though, it seems sketchy that NVIDIA got the patent to the concept of a GPU.

Samsung has done nothing in this case...

Yes they have. They're basically attempting to ban near all of NVIDIA's products from America.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Yes I did. Did you? Look at the thread title, then read the actual source. And read mine. The court date isn't even until June, but somehow NVidia has won it? Come on. Ironically, NVidia actually lost their claim to move the counter suit to their location of desire (Which Luka actually mentioned).

This is a bad case, and NVidia fanboys are liking it in droves (just look at the posts on this thread), yet seems to have little to no knowledge on what it is about. Even worse, they criticize Samsung for all of this. Samsung has done nothing in this case, but protect themselves, yet they are portrayed as the bad guys? Instead of just automatically going on NVidia's side, how about actually reading up on this case, and what lead up to it? You'd be so much more knowledgeable, and understand the consequences of NVidia's bully methods.

Do you have an insider on this case or something? Because I don't think anyone here knows the first two things about it.

Patent trolling? This is the first time in 21 years that NVIDIA decided to sue a company over patent infringement, they rightfully own the patents and both Samsung and ARM likely knew that.

On that same note, though, it seems sketchy that NVIDIA got the patent to the concept of a GPU.

Yes they have. They're basically attempting to ban near all of NVIDIA's products from America.

Not that it would happen, but if it did... Samsung would burn....

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

And Nvidia is trying to do the same to Samsung. The banning tactic is always used in cases like this, it's standard procedure. It is extremely rare that anything comes of it.

haha yaaa fk u Samsung! 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

There is going to be a court case. That is all that has been decided. No one has won anything. NVidia gets to sue on their definitions, which is not uncommon.

Not only does NVidia have the most hostile consumer strategies, in the gpu business, with their proprietary closed eco systems, resulting in low technology adoption, fewer product options and higher pricing (due to vendor lock in and the subsequent high switching cost).

If NVidia wins these court cases, both Samsung and Qualcomm will either be forced to stop making gpu's for mobile phones (a market with 0 market share from NVidia), or they will have to pay royalties/licensing. Either way, consumers lose.

Also bear in mind, that this entire case started with NVidia's BS patent trolling Kepler licensing strategy, trying to force itself on the entire ARM eco system. With a monumental 0 companies buying their BS, NVidia has now gone nuclear on the ARM eco systems: http://semiaccurate.com/2015/01/20/two-new-twists-nvidia-patent-trolling-kepler-license-scheme/

Ironically NVidia licenses IP from ARM, which is the only reason they didn't sue ARM. It makes sense, but considering that Samsung and Qualcomm is being sued for their own ARM based designs, this is essentially an attack by proxy on ARM as well.

This is a patent war between NVidia and ARM, not NVidia and Samsung per se.

So Nvidia should shut-up when other companies steal it's work because it's better for consumer ?? 

It's their hard work and it's patented so if anyone wants to use it they should ask for their permission - paying fees/royalties or just not allowing is Nvidia choice - .

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Sorry it's Nvidia hard work and Samsung just stole it so I'm on there side wither it will hurt the consumer or not.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ