Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

R.I.P my PC until I have more money then  :(

The A10 will be ok in games. Its definitely not the best for gaming but it will manage quite well. Just keep plodding along with it until you save enough to by the best platform (I don't know how long it would take so I'm not saying Intel straight up-Zen and whatever AMD creates after it might be contenders to high end Intel CPUs).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My friends think it may be my processor. which even if my processor is the bottleneck of my system I shouldn't get worse performance with a new card should I?  I would think it would be atleast the same??  :blink:

a CPU bottle neck at worse case should cause the 670 and 970 to perform the same, the fact you say the 670 performs better than the 970 indicates an issue with the 970 regardless of cpu bottleneck.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As I am new to  building a PC but have been watching Linus for a while, what can I reasonably expect when running Battlefield 4 on Medium with no MSAA at 1080p while using an EVGA GTX 970?

also if I want to record while doing so will I experience a frame rate drop with an i5? if so will getting an i7 4790K help or should I just get a capture card as I can afford a $1500 PC and no more.

thx, Ethan

As I am new to  building a PC but have been watching Linus for a while, what can I reasonably expect when running Battlefield 4 on Medium with no MSAA at 1080p while using an EVGA GTX 970?

also if I want to record while doing so will I experience a frame rate drop with an i5? if so will getting an i7 4790K help or should I just get a capture card as I can afford a $1500 PC and no more.

thx, Ethan

You can expect 60+ fps in most all scenarios. The most VRAM usage you'll ever hit is around 2500MB (that I've seen).

If you want specific building advice you should post a topic in the new build, building + planning section of the forum. I think an i7 is better for recording/multitasking.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

thx, Ethan

Hi Ethan, welcome to the forums. You can get 60+ FPS with the 970 on ULTRA with MSAA at 1080p. So no worries on that front. The i5 is fine but there definitely would be an improvement moving to the i7, whether the improvement is worth it or not is up to you. Note that there is pretty much no difference in gaming between an i5 and i7. An i7 has hyperthreading, which is why one would want it, hyper threading will help with video encoding in your case.

Not really 970 related, but the best place I could find for this video without making a new thread. I found this really hilarious to look at.

0:45

Not really 970 related, but the best place I could find for this video without making a new thread. I found this really hilarious to look at.

0:45

Oh god, that gives AMD an excuse to do another re-badge.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am curious why some people have issues and some don't. I have not seen many people post any info about having issues directly related to exceeding the so called 3.5gb memory. I am hoping people who experience the issue and people who don't will post a video and their specs. I find it odd that this isnt an issue for all 970 owners, especially if the card is truly gimped like a lot of people are stating. I have seen people post that they have the issue, but very little evidence related to it.

CPU: i7 4790k

Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

RAM: 8gb Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Delete this thread!

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

The thread isnt about discussing the issue. Its about posting results. Talk around in circles but nobody has posted any results yet.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The thread isnt about discussing the issue. Its about posting results. Talk around in circles but nobody has posted any results yet.

Okay so, You say this isn't about discussing issues, but you call the thread "Post Your Issues"

http://linustechtips...-issue-threads/

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Lots of backseat moderators on this thread.

I have seen people post that they have the issue, but very little evidence related to it.

Because most people have just jumped on the FUD bandwagon and are spewing nonsense ;)

My 970 confuses me, I was getting terrible performance all I did was turn up fan speed and now some games get 2-3 times the FPS.... :blink:  :wacko:

Only in some games though..like BF3/BF4/ Other games like TF2 and The Witcher 2 still run bad....

They tell you to sleep on the problem, MAAAN! 
But What if your problem is INSOMNIA?! 

My 970 confuses me, I was getting terrible performance all I did was turn up fan speed and now some games get 2-3 times the FPS.... :blink:  :wacko:

Only in some games though..like BF3/BF4/ Other games like TF2 and The Witcher 2 still run bad....

Didn't you say you were running your 970 with an A10-5800K in another thread? You are gonna get cpu bottlenecked in a lot of games...

Didn't you say you were running your 970 with an A10-5800K in another thread? You are gonna get cpu bottlenecked in a lot of games...

I shouldn't be in TF2 I would think?  And why would turning my fan speed up change my fps in BF3 from 32 to 80...like really that's all I changed I don't understand  :wacko:

Source engine games (such as TF2) are more cpu than gpu dependent.

As for the fan speed increase increasing your performance in other games, that would indicate that your gpu was overheating and throttling back for some reason. 970's generally run pretty cool, so if that's happening my best guess would either be a problem with the cooler on your card, or your case having terrible airflow.

Source engine games (such as TF2) are more cpu than gpu dependent.

As for the fan speed increase increasing your performance in other games, that would indicate that your gpu was overheating and throttling back for some reason. 970's generally run pretty cool, so if that's happening my best guess would either be a problem with the cooler on your card, or your case having terrible airflow.

before I turned up the fan speed it was running at like 58 under load...is that bad?  and I know TF2 is more dependant on CPU but I got a constant 120 with my gtx 670 :S now it jumps from 45-220...It may be the card I don't know how I would check though :/

I've just never had major problems with my PC so now that I am I'm lost haha

I made a test Video with watch dogs on my YouTube channel. I still didn't validate the result with my 980. So it was either the vram issue or a general performance issue. Also my i5 has so trouble keeping up, so that could also be a factor. Someone with a crazy LGA 2011 i7 needs to make the tests.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |