Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

A friend of mine will be fighting with MSI to get an AMD replacement or a refund after his exams are done. Wish us luck, cause I've built it for him and I will be helping him in this case.

Good luck with that? I'm assuming the place you purchased from isn't offering a refund either?

I bought mine from Canada Computers on Black Friday, when I could have gotten the 290 for $140 less. Should have gotten the 290 :(.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Good luck with that? I'm assuming the place you purchased from isn't offering a refund either?

I bought mine from Canada Computers on Black Friday, when I could have gotten the 290 for $140 less. Should have gotten the 290 :(.

I still don't get posts like this. You wanted to return your more powerful card and get a weaker one? That makes 0 sense. Play games and be happy, stop with the whole morales thing, it's 2015, every big company lies. Green just got busted.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

I still don't get posts like this. You wanted to return your more powerful card and get a weaker one? That makes 0 sense. Play games and be happy, stop with the whole morales thing, it's 2015, every big company lies. Green just got busted.

No, I said I should have gotten the 290 instead of the 970. If i get to return this one, I would be getting one of  the upcoming 300 series cards.

Also, I can't exactly enjoy my game when I'm getting stuttering due to the 3.5gb segmented vram. Coil whine is pretty annoying too, wouldn't you agree? If I were happy I don't think I would be asking for a refund.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

No, I said I should have gotten the 290 instead of the 970. If i get to return this one, I would be getting one of the upcoming 300 series cards.

Also, I can't exactly enjoy my game when I'm getting stuttering due to the 3.5gb segmented vram. Coil whine is pretty annoying too, wouldn't you agree? If I were happy I don't think I would be asking for a refund.

In which game have you encountered stuttering and at what resolution? If your card has coil whine it can be pretty bad, I agree, but you can't be sure that the 290 wouldn't have had it.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Canada Computers too. Don't know if they're offering a refund. (Didn't check) Currently busy with University and exams.

So you want them to rip you off even more next time? And when they do, you'll let them go like this every time? Are you benefiting yourself with this approach? Yes? No?

You just can't say no they'll never do this again, since Nvidia has a history of anti-consumer business practices (moreover you say "every company lies").

You are literally saying let them get away with gimping. Think about it.

Or will you finally get mad when you find out X months/years later that your $1000 GTX flagship turns out to be as gimped as a mid-range card?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

So you want them to rip you off even more next time? And when they do, you'll let them go like this every time? Are you benefiting yourself with this approach? Yes? No?

You just can't say no they'll never do this again, since Nvidia has a history of anti-consumer business practices (moreover you say "every company lies").

You are literally saying let them get away with gimping. Think about it.

Or will you finally get mad when you find out X months/years later that your $1000 GTX flagship turns out to be as gimped as a mid-range card?

If it takes months/years for me to notice that it was gimped, was it actually gimped?

I buy products based on benchmarks. If I can achieve those benchmark results myself, I don't care if they tell me it's 12GB card when when it's 2.

In which game have you encountered stuttering and at what resolution? If your card has coil whine it can be pretty bad, I agree, but you can't be sure that the 290 wouldn't have had it.

Shadow of Mordor 2560x1440. Also in World of Tanks, I constantly have frame rates dipping to the 30s and 40s at 1920x1080 let alone 2560x1440.

You're right about the 290 possibly having coil whine. However I previously had another card that had coil whine, but XFX RMA'ed that card for me right away. Meanwhile Asus has been avoiding to even answer my ticket. So I'm pretty confident even if I did end up with one with coil whine, XFX would have given me a replacement.

Canada Computers too. Don't know if they're offering a refund. (Didn't check) Currently busy with University and exams.

They're not offering refunds, unless you take the 15% restocking fee option.

Been using 2 970 in SLI for a while. No shuttering for now. Let's see with the witcher 3 though.

CPU 4790k – Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Formula - RAM 32GBs (8GBx4) 2400Mhz TRIDENT-X – GPU GTX 1080 MSI – Case Obsidian 450D –Storage Corsair / OCZ SSD – PSU Corsair HX850i –Display ASUS ROG SWIFT PG178Q 1440p 144Hz – Cooling Noctua NH-D15

If it takes months/years for me to notice that it was gimped, was it actually gimped?

I buy products based on benchmarks. If I can achieve those benchmark results myself, I don't care if they tell me it's 12GB card when when it's 2.

"If it takes months/years for me to notice that it was gimped"

There. You did notice it was gimped.

We aren't doing things like comparing the 970 to the Titan X and then saying the 970 is gimped. We're comparing the 970 we got against the 970 that was publicized.

Taking more time to find out a fault doesn't magically "un-gimp" a card.

You can buy products based on benchmarks and I won't judge. But remember, benchmarks get updated through time, but there is no physical change that can be done to a GPU once released (unless you do a recall.) Moreover, benchmarks are measuring equipments. But if you have 100mg of salt, you have 100mg of salt doesn't matter what you measure with.

It's okay if you don't care about the specs. I hope you have already realized that benchmarks of a gimped card will remain the same scores whether it's on review sites or at your home.

Lastly, that's the reason you won't understand why @Rovert19 wished he'd bought a 290.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

No, I said I should have gotten the 290 instead of the 970. If i get to return this one, I would be getting one of  the upcoming 300 series cards.

What resolution do you play at?

The time the VRAM issue kicks in is when you are no longer getting 60fps in games so really you can only hit the slower vram if you try.

If a tree falls in forest with no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, yes it was actually gimped. And yes you do find negative results if you push past the 3.5 threshold in some scenarios. The benchmarks didn't fully test for any issues surrounding the VRAM, so those benchmarks aren't reliable for any future gaming.

If you don't care, that's one thing. If you say it's not actually gimped it's another. 

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

"If it takes months/years for me to notice that it was gimped"

There. You did notice it was gimped.

We aren't doing things like comparing the 970 to the Titan X and then saying the 970 is gimped. We're comparing the 970 we got against the 970 that was publicized.

Taking more time to find out a fault doesn't magically "un-gimp" a card.

You can buy products based on benchmarks and I won't judge. But remember, benchmarks get updated through time, but there is no physical change that can be done to a GPU once released (unless you do a recall.) Moreover, benchmarks are measuring equipments. But if you have 100mg of salt, you have 100mg of salt doesn't matter what you measure with.

It's okay if you don't care about the specs. I hope you have already realized that benchmarks of a gimped card will remain the same scores whether it's on review sites or at your home.

Lastly, that's the reason you won't understand why @Rovert19 wished he'd bought a 290.

If a tree falls in forest with no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, yes it was actually gimped. And yes you do find negative results if you push past the 3.5 threshold in some scenarios. The benchmarks didn't fully test for any issues surrounding the VRAM, so those benchmarks aren't reliable for any future gaming.

If you don't care, that's one thing. If you say it's not actually gimped it's another. 

Never said it isn't gimped. I'm still getting it on the 1st of April, since it's the only GPU in my price range that has the characteristics that I want.

I'm buying it knowing what it is and what can I expect, which makes my situation pretty different than @Rovert19 's

Never said it isn't gimped. I'm still getting it on the 1st of April, since it's the only GPU in my price range that has the characteristics that I want.

I'm buying it knowing what it is and what can I expect, which makes my situation pretty different than @Rovert19 's

LOL if you know if it is gimped (and you know they lied & ripped you off) and still want to buy it, go ahead! No one's stopping you!

Your reply makes me wonder what didn't you understand in the first place. :huh:

But do tell me about the "characteristics" the 970 has.

LOL if you know if it is gimped (and you know they lied & ripped you off) and still want to buy it, go ahead! No one's stopping you!

Your reply makes me wonder what didn't you understand in the first place. :huh:

But do tell me about the "characteristics" the 970 has.

This is becoming a dumb argument. Lets end it here.

Just FYI, I was talking about Shield. The other thing is, in my country, a 290X is more expensive than a 970. For 1080p, it's still a good choice.

If anyone doesn't want to support nVidia, that's really awesome of them. I'm still an egoist and going for the best for my money, covering my requirements.

This is becoming a dumb argument. Lets end it here.

Just FYI, I was talking about Shield. The other thing is, in my country, a 290X is more expensive than a 970. For 1080p, it's still a good choice.

If anyone doesn't want to support nVidia, that's really awesome of them. I'm still an egoist and going for the best for my money, covering my requirements.

Your original argument has nothing to do with the Shield. Anyway, the point of my posts were to make you understand why @Rovert19 wished he'd bought an R9 290X instead. I hope you understand now.

I'll take your word for it being more expensive than the 970. For 1080p, it's overkill. (The R9 270X is best for money; for 1080p gaming)

You can be "egoist" and all that stuff. At least we can both agree Nvidia did gimp the 970 in secret and that is just not right.

I can't believe this thread is still going, flogging a dead horse much?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I can't believe this thread is still going, flogging a dead horse much?

If you are bothered, you can unfollow the thread. I don't see what makes you think we're flogging a dead horse.

If you are bothered, you can unfollow the thread. I don't see what makes you think we're flogging a dead horse.

No. That would take brainpower.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

No. That would take brainpower.

I'm not sub'd to it, it keeps coming to the top of the page every time some posts the same old rhetoric about gimping the 970.   The thread is 2 months old. There is no new information. If you can't see that as flogging a dead horse then there is no hope for you.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm not sub'd to it, it keeps coming to the top of the page every time some posts the same old rhetoric about gimping the 970.   The thread is 2 months old. There is no new information. If you can't see that as flogging a dead horse then there is no hope for you.  

There are 2 anonymous subscribers to this thread, so I'll have to take your word for it.

If this thread bothers you so much, why don't you just IGNORE it? Rather you want us to stop discussing only because YOU don't want it to see it coming to the top of the page? How selfish can you be?

By the way, this is a discussion thread, not a news thread. I hope you understand the difference.

It's OK. I don't need hope from a person on the internet. Other things are much more important.

There are 2 anonymous subscribers to this thread, so I'll have to take your word for it.

If this thread bothers you so much, why don't you just IGNORE it? Rather you want us to stop discussing only because YOU don't want it to see it coming to the top of the page? How selfish can you be?

By the way, this is a discussion thread, not a news thread. I hope you understand the difference.

It's OK. I don't need hope from a person on the internet. Other things are much more important.

News, discussion, whatever you want to call it, saying the same thing over and over again is still flogging a dead horse.

people build a bridge and get over it.  some 3 months on and it turns out no one gives a shit

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

So, I've finally got my monitors, and have been playing in 5720x1080, and I'd just like to say,

Not as bad as I thought, from what people kept saying about it, for a single gtx 970. Elder Scrolls Online was....nothing. Ran it on ultra for a couple of hours, no stutter, no framedrops that I could detect with my eyes, just...nothing.....EXCEPT PURE FUCKING AWESOMENESS. While it doesn't "Add" anything to the game, it just....I can't help by find myself smiling and doing the no-blink gaming stare.

As for Battlefield Hardline, that's a different story. Medium and high are both smooth, and definitely playable. I haven't noticed any severe frame drops or anything. However, when I pushed it up to ultra, I was getting micro stutter or just low frames.

Hard to tell though, I don't have a framerate counter overlay on either of these games. I just haven't bothered to download one. Can anyone suggest one that won't add any overhead to the GPU itself? Not sure how that works, or even if they do that.

Verdict so far: HAPPY. As soon as I can get a framerate overlay going, I'll make a thread on it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

msi afterburner has a slew of built in counters for framerate, frametimes, ram + vram usage, and the like. https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner the overhead is ultimately negligible

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been successful in getting a refund? I'm still fighting with Asus to return my card. At this point I'm not very optimistic.