Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

It appears some readers are pressuring Amazon to get 20% of their GTX970 money back... seems to be working too, well in America at least.

10959523_851789781543771_904955929182412

I'd ask for 1/8th of my money back, since Nvidia lied by omission about the last 512MB of vRAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hopefully there will be less butt hurt now...

I doubt it. Pretty sure the majority of people whining don't even own a 970. A big percentage of the legit customers are probably just trying to get free stuff (I've seen lots of people say "the card works just fine but I would like a free game" and similar things). Both of these groups don't actually care if the performance issue gets fixed because they are just out to complain.

It's very good news (if accurate) for 970 owners.

I doubt it. Pretty sure the majority of people whining don't even own a 970. A big percentage of the legit customers are probably just trying to get free stuff (I've seen lots of people say "the card works just fine but I would like a free game" and similar things). Both of these groups don't actually care if the performance issue gets fixed because they are just out to complain.

Problem is that a driver being made specifically for the 970 was redacted + denied by Nvidia. It's incredibly more likely that the driver update simply gave greater performance overall in those new games (as it is stated in the driver notes). The problem, if you ever get it, is at a hardware level and almost every outlet has said that a driver fix would not be a solution.

BTW, I personally don't want a free game.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIyJswC8X0A

This is a video by me, no matter how hard I try, I can't manage to get the VRAM issue.

As you can see I got well past 3.5GB, that's with old drivers 347.09. But the card doesn't stutter for me.

I'm still mad because they lied, but i'm not going to ask for 20% refund withiut returning the card or stuff like that.

Which is understandable^

If a company lies, it's totally okay to be mad. But the card definitely works, and very well, at that. Anyone looking for a serious 1080p performer should have no issues with it.

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Which is understandable^

If a company lies, it's totally okay to be mad. But the card definitely works, and very well, at that. Anyone looking for a serious 1080p performer should have no issues with it.

Damn right. Some time ago there was some issue with the 970/980 having very low GPU load in certain games, I fixed it by installing Windows 8.1, but so far the card is a beast. For 1080p no problems if you don't play games that use lots of VRAM

I was going to go with 980's initially, but i'd rather save back some money for when the next cards are released since it wont be until then that i'll be really getting around to 1440p stuff anyway. And the 970 is right up my alley. 

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Problem is that a driver being made specifically for the 970 was redacted + denied by Nvidia. It's incredibly more likely that the driver update simply gave greater performance overall in those new games (as it is stated in the driver notes). The problem, if you ever get it, is at a hardware level and almost every outlet has said that a driver fix would not be a solution.

BTW, I personally don't want a free game.

The reports specifically says that going above 3.5GB of VRAM no longer causes delays and a drop in performance. If it was just an increase in performance then it would still be happening but now people are reporting that they don't notice anything. Isn't that what matters? That the card performs well.

Yes it is a hardware issue so it will never get 100% fixed in software, but if they can fix it in the most common scenarios (with clever memory allocation) then does it really matter that the hardware issue is still there? Is it even an issue if most people will never encounter it?

Assuming the reports are accurate of course. Those people on reddit might just have messed up their tests and the problem is still there.

Using more than 3.5GB doesn't mean s*** for 970. Anything vram usage above 3.5gb will run at basically the same speed as those data on your RAM. So just think of that extra 500mb as extra RAM.

One question to gtx 970 owners, i see it says 242.92w total power consumption... is this on 100% stress tools like furmark or something? is it actually reachable in gaming?

One question to gtx 970 owners, i see it says 242.92w total power consumption... is this on 100% stress tools like furmark or something? is it actually reachable in gaming?

Power consumption of the gtx 970 alone is about 150watts. The systems I've seen on benchmarks total 270-280 watts total unless they have other heavy draw components.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

How have i never seen this thread?

Hello 970 owners, my name is KamiKatze. I have been addicted to GTX 970s since December of 2014. But I have bailed out of my 970 SLI and am hoping to get my money back for one of them since the merchant offered to take it back but they take a lot of time. :P

Now I'm waiting with a single 970 for a better alternative. Can't wait to get rid of this haunted card and finally beat my addiction! :D

who cares...

Using more than 3.5GB doesn't mean s*** for 970. Anything vram usage above 3.5gb will run at basically the same speed as those data on your RAM. So just think of that extra 500mb as extra RAM.

Its 1/8 slower than the other memory.

Its only 50% faster than system memory according to linus.

How have i never seen this thread?

Hello 970 owners, my name is KamiKatze. I have been addicted to GTX 970s since December of 2014. But I have bailed out of my 970 SLI and am hoping to get my money back for one of them since the merchant offered to take it back but they take a lot of time. :P

Now I'm waiting with a single 970 for a better alternative. Can't wait to get rid of this haunted card and finally beat my addiction! :D

WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!

WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!

87 pages just about the GTX 970, this has to be a sign, nvidia! :D

Now where is my torch and pitchfork? :P

who cares...

although it's true that nvidia lied to people but it could also be true that they have some miscommunication within their department the only fact is both are 50/50 we can't just claim the first one since it's more convenient and all.

anyways 80% of the people who bought the cards was because of benchmark performance and the price I believe those guys should even be asking for a refund since they didn't buy it because it has 4gb etc but because the price to performance is good and it is still even today.

but for the next 20% of people who bought it for 4k or something along those lines cause it was cheaper than 980 then yeah kinda their fault too.

anyways although the 80% and 20% might not be correct but everyone knows the majority of people buy it cause it's cheaper and the performance is awesome.

Well I do have an nvidia card but I'm not really a nvidia fan for people who might claim. so far on the time I bought my card they have the higher number paper wise and performance during the time I bought my card and well I got a 290 too on my gaming rig and performs well.

anyways for the electricity consumption most of it doesn't really matter I live in a country where electricity is actually expensive and it will take years and years before I even get the return of my power saving or something by going nvidia. nor will you gain 999999999999 pounds more electricity when you go amd. (unless you bitcoin mine or something well I haven't really tried it but heard some keep it on 24/7 so bill wise could be different).

Live your life like a dream.

Linus pulled that number out of his arse, every other source is saying 400%

Just asking- theoretically can there be a scnenario where having 3GB of full speed VRAM is better than having 4GB of mixed speed VRAM?

Is is possible that the game engine sees the available 4GB of VRAM and tries to use it with negative results?

Asking cause in evolve (cryengine) the 970 is showing a performance drop off when going from 1080p to 2560x1600 losing 47% of it's framerate.

While the 780ti with far less VRAM loses only 35% of framerate.

http://www.techspot.com/review/962-evolve-benchmarks/page4.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/962-evolve-benchmarks/page6.html

The 780 Ti is a faster GPU than the 970. The 970 basically performs like the 780. It's not a vram issue, it's a GPU-isn't-powerful-enough-to-fully-leverage-the-vram-it-has issue.

By buying the card or not returning them you are allowing Nvidia to do whatever they want.  There is no real punishment here for them for being liars and putting out products specs on boxes and info. sheets that were just not true.  They knew what they were doing was wrong and are full of crap with the communication argument they make as an excuse.  You are hurting the consumer and until some of you get it through your thick heads people will be repetitive with their posts.  It has happened with the Evolve situation on Steam.  People get tired of the general population making excuses for every wrong that some person or organization does and is not held accountable properly.  Get it?

.. and Victorious Secret you talk about people going on and on and on.  I have seen you do this on multiple occasions yourself.  Also in my opinion if people start threads and post stuff and it is directed at a particular person that person should have the right to respond.  I have been called a troll before just because I decided to respond to every person that was talking to me in a thread.  That is not trolling.  It is called responding.  If you can do it then let others do it.

As for butt hurt it is stupid term and really if you think people shouldn't be angry or butt hurt as it has been stupidly put over a company telling lies then you are the ones that are lost.  I'd rather be in the smart, intelligent, consumer wise minority than be where you are.

Also anyone buying a new GTX 970 is wrong for doing so.  Encouraging shady business practices and giving liars money is a bad thing to do.  I won't back down on it and I don't think others in this thread will either.

But they didn't lie. We've been over multiple times how Nvidia weren't advertising ROPs or cache, and that no one buys GPUs on those metrics anyway. It has the vram advertised on the box. You might not like the fact that Nvidia decided that having 3.5GB of fast vram, 0.5GB of slow vram, and a usable 4GB in total was a better solution than just capping it at 3GB and reproducing the 780 at closer to full original price, but frankly that would be a hell of a lot worse.

By buying the card or not returning them you are allowing Nvidia to do whatever they want.  There is no real punishment here for them for being liars and putting out products specs on boxes and info. sheets that were just not true.  They knew what they were doing was wrong and are full of crap with the communication argument they make as an excuse.  You are hurting the consumer and until some of you get it through your thick heads people will be repetitive with their posts.  It has happened with the Evolve situation on Steam.  

As for butt hurt it is stupid term and really if you think people shouldn't be angry or butt hurt as it has been stupidly put over a company telling lies then you are the ones that are lost.  I'd rather be in the smart, intelligent, consumer wise minority than be where you are.

Also anyone buying a new GTX 970 is wrong for doing so.  Encouraging shady business practices and giving liars money is a bad thing to do.

that last line is a real problem.  if you honestly believed that you wouldn't own much because every major company does it.  you act like every other company out there are all sweetness and light and thats just crap.  you are right about evolve......thats been blown out of all proportion too.  what's that, there is day one DLC, quick damn them to hell.  we will ignore the fact that its all cosmetic or allows you to get access to other characters quicker.  its not even DLC only characters, there available to all who buy the game just takes a bit longer to get them.

my issue is with people saying that nvidia lied....they didnt.  here 

lie = a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth

that's the crux. deliberate. ill tackle that in 2 parts

1 ROPs and L2 cache - it serves no purpose to lie about them. most people don't have a clue what they do, let alone make guesses to the effect they have on performance and the cards tested didn't have those specs. if they did then i would say nvidia were bang out of order.

2 vram - nvidia have said, after the fact, that the performance hit was 1-3%.  they did this via a statement that showed comparisons between the 970 and the 980. they test games @1080p with both then cranked up the settings equally to get both to use over 3.5gb of vram.  they measured the differences and showed the 1-3% hit. so far very few if any people have showed dramatic stutters if any. the Ram performs how it should in real world situations. you have not been lied to, or decived. simple as that.

i think its more general improvements. there is no fix as there is no problem games function as they should and the driver has been doing the work from the get go.

until there is some hard evidence that the design of the 970 is causing drops in real world performance then all i see is stubborn people seeing black and white and not stepping back to look at the whole picture.  the 970 is a great card and one of the best for the money right now.....

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Slightly faster than 50% as it's doing 28GB/s instead of 16GB/s of DDR3. But that still makes it useless as VRAM as you can put any rendering data on there. You can pretty much get the same performance storing those stuffs on RAM. The memory access is a XOR according to anandtech, meaning the graphic card actually can't use both memory in the same time. It's useless memory if you ask me.

although it's true that nvidia lied to people but it could also be true that they have some miscommunication within their department the only fact is both are 50/50 we can't just claim the first one since it's more convenient and all.

anyways 80% of the people who bought the cards was because of benchmark performance and the price I believe those guys should even be asking for a refund since they didn't buy it because it has 4gb etc but because the price to performance is good and it is still even today.

It's nVidia, they didn't miscommunicate at least on the 4GB part. They just didn't want to come clean during the big holiday sales season. AMD's cards would've sold a lot more if they had come clean. Seriously if I was buying a GPU during that time, this would have DECIDE whether I'd go for a 970 or 290(x). 

99% of the people don't like to be lied to. People invest $400 for a GPU to be futureproof. That 500mb less of VRAM would've made 970 much less futureproof. Anyone who wants to SLI it to run games at 1440p or 4k for upcoming games or even just ACU is going to be seriously pissed about this.

It's nVidia, they didn't miscommunicate at least on the 4GB part. They just didn't want to come clean during the big holiday sales season. AMD's cards would've sold a lot more if they had come clean. Seriously if I was buying a GPU during that time, this would have DECIDE whether I'd go for a 970 or 290(x). 

99% of the people don't like to be lied to. People invest $400 for a GPU to be futureproof. That 500mb less of VRAM would've made 970 much less futureproof. Anyone who wants to SLI it to run games at 1440p or 4k for upcoming games or even just ACU is going to be seriously pissed about this.

Especially if they are in Australia and pay US GTX 980 prices for a GTX 970.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I bought my card from Canada Computers back in November and it's way past the return period. Does anyone know if Asus is offering a step up program?

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Gigabyte called me today, and they offered this: RMA the card, along with $250, and in return they would send me a GTX 980.  I'm perfectly fine with this, and now i'm satisfied; It's all I've been asking for.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

This thread is still going? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This thread is still going? 

Fire hasn't died quite yet, feel free to stoke it.