Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

This just proves you can't push things further than you're meant to and complain when it doesn't work :P

What are you trying to say?

This just proves you can't push things further than you're meant to and complain when it doesn't work :P

I just dont play that many demanding games :) Diablo III at 4K DSR rocking like a boss :D

lol spec correction do not affect preformence, it affects peoples minds

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

What are you trying to say?

When you say put a game with 970 SLI to 1440p (4k downscaled) on ultra graphics only getting 30-40 fps, the frame times start to fuck up.

But you should never be looking to make your game run at 30-40fps anyway so..

When you say put a game with 970 SLI to 1440p (4k downscaled) on ultra graphics only getting 30-40 fps, the frame times start to fuck up.

But you should never be looking to make your game run at 30-40fps anyway so..

I play all my games at 1080. I only play old games at 4k (like VC) and I presume that doesn't need a lot of VRAM :P

I really want a 970 while i realized i only play minecraft and have a 780....

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

I play all my games at 1080. I only play old games at 4k (like VC) and I presume that doesn't need a lot of VRAM :P

Bro I do the same as you and rarely does a game even go over 2GB as I monitor my games all the time.

Idk why I just enjoy seeing if a game engine either fail or run flawlessly.

Bro I do the same as you and rarely does a game even go over 2GB as I monitor my games all the time.

Idk why I just enjoy seeing if a game engine either fail or run flawlessly.

smae.

A single 970 is usually too weak to push scenarios where it actually uses 4GB. And if the allocation is done correctly in driver then even 4GB usage wont be a problem in 99% of cases.

Edit: Also i guess with Dx12 the SLI memory issue will become irrelevant. 7GB or 8GB whatever :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Still love my 970, hate gigabyte for giving me 'Premium' duds.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

THEN WHY DO YOU HAVE DUAL 970S ._.

They are not just for games ;)

We should still think the positive way.

We still got 0.5 GB more ram then the older GTX 780/ti

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

give it another 12 hrs.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

What do you mean premium duds?

GTX 970 G1 Gaming, my 3rd replacement is ready for an RMA, and this time it was running off a new CX 850, with no overclocking at al and playing Halo 1 as the most intensive game (couldn't be bothered setting up anything else until my LGA775 rig is working 100%).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

GTX 970 G1 Gaming, my 3rd replacement is ready for an RMA, and this time it was running off a new CX 850, with no overclocking at al and playing Halo 1 as the most intensive game (couldn't be bothered setting up anything else until my LGA775 rig is working 100%).

I would've gave up when the second card failed. If the same product fails twice then as far as I'm concerned it's a large, steaming PoS that isn't worth buying.

What?

until it gets spammed and merged into 970 threads, which it just did lol

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i had an issue with my g1....thing wouldnt overclock for shit....now waiting for some more cash 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Now y wouldnt people wait another 24 hours for the nvidia confrence. I have alot of confidence in Nvidia and even though they tricked us in the vram issue they are still my number one choice. And if they didnt announce anything new about the gtx 970 i will buy it anyway. The gigabyte g1 seems the best choice.i hope they announce anything like a higher vram version of it or 3 free games for who bought it(however that one is so likely not going to happen)

You forgot:

Do you own a 970 and think it's okay - "you're just in denial! Post-purchase rationalization!"

You don't own a 970, think the whole thing has been blown out of proportions and would like things to settle down - "Nvidia fanboy!"

Both you and @zappian have a point. I suggest we stick to not recommending the 970 for high resolutions as opposed to criticizing people who own one already for not considering it a big deal. At the same time recommending it as if nothing had changed is not very wise. It's undeniable that nvidia made a questionable (at best) business maneuver. It's also undeniable that most people won't be heavily affected. Add the price factor and we have what is still a good card, but is also a tough sell for the price and especially if you're looking for high resolution performance. Hence why I'll recommend an R9 290/x instead. That said, it's not like AMD never lies...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*