Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

From my understanding, unless your playing on an identical system to those used by the devs to test the game, minimum and recommended specs are pointless for anything except a vague idea of what kind of PC you need. I'll be proving this soon (I hope) with 2xPentium 3s and a Nvidia 6200 (512MB) in unreal tournament 4. Even if the settings need to be set to minimum, and the game played at 64x480-it will still be better than playing on any of my laptops.

a bit like wolfenstein TNO "requiring" an i7 for minimum ^^ lol

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Honestly, my current card is the gtx 760 SSC ACX 2.0 2gb. This can run BF4 on ultra no problems, so im keen to see the what my gamimg will be like with the 1.5gb boost of the 970. At 1080p/60 FPS, 500mb won't really count for squat.

I bought this last year and feel kinda cheated by it. It was a great 1080p card so I think I can deal with it. One thing for sure though my plan to sli my 970 is thrown in the drain. Probably gonna sell my 970 and get 980 kingpin instead.

I bought this last year and feel kinda cheated by it. It was a great 1080p card so I think I can deal with it. One thing for sure though my plan to sli my 970 is thrown in the drain. Probably gonna sell my 970 and get 980 kingpin instead.

I can't say I understand your logic there. 2 970's of good quality will reck any 980 by a mile. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

I don't understand the logic behind people who feel cheated by Nvidia only to give them more money.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Has anyone been successful with dealing with Asus? I was turned down for a refund and wasn't offered a step up either.

Update: Looks like Nvidia won't be doing anything to help either.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

My MSI 970 gaming is a beast and like lots of people have said it's still a great value regardless so I'm not bothered.

Whelp forgot to include a drain valve in my loop, there's always next time.

I'm glad we continue to talk about how Nvidia lied about the 970, yet everyone was being blown away by it's benchmarks on release for it's price point.

Well I am glad to see the truth coming out.  As for what consumers should get well if they want a refund on the card they should be able to get it.  What about consumer watch dogs out there?  Better Business Bureau and so on what would they think?

You know the 970 has 3 SM's disabled and the reason for disabling 1 L2 cache;

Nvidia%20GM204%20Maxwell%20architecture_

The bottom SM's are made out of 4 blocks, which each have 2x 32bit memory controllers forming all together the 256 bit controller. The new feature is disabling one L2 Cache, to keep the last 32bit bus busy they used a "buddy interface" which allows Nvidia to activate the 256 bit bus completely because not every L2 cache is functional.

There's usually a reviewers-guide handed over to reviewers like pcper etc having information about the architecture/bs, the marketing team clearly fucked that up and they were ashamed of revealing the truth. 

" was an error

in the reviewer’s guide and a

misunderstanding between the

engineering team and the technical PR

team "

a company such as nvidia can make such huge "errors"?! really?! they rlly have ballz to say that. i mean from all the employee no1 has niticed this "error"?! they must be sued for this and is not the first time nvidia is lying ţi the consumers, but better said having small "errors" either way n970 is overpriced.

Seems more like Nvidia's is trying to throw the marketing department under the bus for this, but is that really enough?

I already posted this on the GPU sub forum.

It sucks but its true , nvidia lied.

It was, people thought it was a perfect 1440p and 4K card for its price point.

EDIT: I used to think that too. Until AMD drop their prices again.

Im interested in buying the 970 should i?

or should i stick with the 960 (gigabyte windforce)

or should i stick with the 960 (gigabyte windforce)

Get the best of what you can afford.

If you're happy with the 960, stick with the 960. You could also SLI two 960's if your motherboard supports it.

Get the best of what you can afford.

If you're happy with the 960, stick with the 960. You could also SLI two 960's if your motherboard supports it.

im happy to afford both but which one is better

im happy to afford both but which one is better

Do you already have a 960?

Well, it depends on what the future bring us. Right now I have 2 GTX 970 in SLI and run most games +100 fps like Daying Light / Shadow of mordor / FF XIV (yes it's old)

So I don't feel the need for much more. So yes, but it.

But know that if DX12 turns to be bad and games keep coming unoptimize we'll need to upgrade to Pascall next year 

CPU 4790k – Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Formula - RAM 32GBs (8GBx4) 2400Mhz TRIDENT-X – GPU GTX 1080 MSI – Case Obsidian 450D –Storage Corsair / OCZ SSD – PSU Corsair HX850i –Display ASUS ROG SWIFT PG178Q 1440p 144Hz – Cooling Noctua NH-D15

Do you already have a 960?

No, im planning my PC 

Well, it depends on what the future bring us. Right now I have 2 GTX 970 in SLI and run most games +100 fps like Daying Light / Shadow of mordor / FF XIV (yes it's old)

So I don't feel the need for much more. So yes, but it.

But know that if DX12 turns to be bad and games keep coming unoptimize we'll need to upgrade to Pascall next year 

I cant afford two 970s but is it worth it?

No, im planning my PC 

Go with the 970 then.

No, im planning my PC 

I personally think you should go with R9 290 if you want to game at higher res. If not 970 will still be a good choice at 1080p. I can hardly imagine anyone max out 3.5GB unless you are running texture mods.

I personally think you should go with R9 290 if you want to game at higher res. If not 970 will still be a good choice at 1080p. I can hardly imagine anyone max out 3.5GB unless you are running texture mods.

I hope you realize that the 290 performs slightly worse than the 970 at higher resolutions. The 970 is on par with the 290X at above 1080p resolutions.

thanks that makes sense

No, im planning my PC 

970 in SLI it's worth for now. Don't think it's a future prof (If it's possible to be future prof in pc gaming).

Many reviews tell's us it's worth, my expirience been so good. But still, I feel that with high VRAM usage game might get in trouble.

I'm waiting for a GTX 980ti if it ever gets realese.

CPU 4790k – Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Formula - RAM 32GBs (8GBx4) 2400Mhz TRIDENT-X – GPU GTX 1080 MSI – Case Obsidian 450D –Storage Corsair / OCZ SSD – PSU Corsair HX850i –Display ASUS ROG SWIFT PG178Q 1440p 144Hz – Cooling Noctua NH-D15

I rate this thread 3.5 out of 4 because it's old just like my comment.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

@zebo Go for one 290X. I would advise you to Crossfire ONLY if it is necessary (like you need it), otherwise save your money. ;)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

@zebo Go for one 290X. I would advise you to Crossfire ONLY if it is necessary (like you need it), otherwise save your money. ;)

i have a Nvidia shield so i need an Nvidia card

i have a Nvidia shield so i need an Nvidia card

Then a GTX 780 would be your best bet, otherwise you're SOL on a 970 alternative. I know, it sucks. :(

But the lesson of the day is: Think twice before buying something from a manufacturer who has a history of screwing up consumers.

Sigh, was declined for a refund from the retail store, from Asus, and Nvidia does not plan on helping me get a refund. Looks like I'm stuck with this card. $440 lesson learned.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Sigh, was declined for a refund from the retail store, from Asus, and Nvidia does not plan on helping me get a refund. Looks like I'm stuck with this card. $440 lesson learned.

A friend of mine will be fighting with MSI to get an AMD replacement or a refund after his exams are done. Wish us luck, cause I've built it for him and I will be helping him in this case.