Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

A percentage of the purchase price would be better options, the price gaps between the US and other countries is massive.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@meritmaster lmfao The source is LITERALLY IN THE PCPER ARTICLE LINKED THAT YOU ARE QUOTING.

From what I can tell Linus pulled "50%" completely out of the air -- EVERY source I've seen has said that it is 4 times faster than dumping to system ram, including the pcper article you obstinately refused to read, instead just jabbering "source" after it.

Shadow of Mordor's highest res textures need 6GB vram, they were literally put in to give Titans some kind of benefit. Obviously a 970 will struggle. As will a 980, a 780 Ti, a 290X...

And now you're asking me to prove that the card was benchmarked by reviewers on release? You know what, your response is an absolute joke. Organise your thoughts into something coherent, and then come back

Cool one game, and only with five minutes of game play in one area. My friend said in some scenes it would dip to 30fps, so how long is that card going to be able to perform at a 1440p resolution, if games that are coming out now are beating it down to 30fps.

there it is. you carcked we can all stop looking for the truth. meritmasters friend has confirmed it. the most relable source on the matter. the 970 is a pile of shit and can be binned...muppet

oh and dying light is know to have issues with poor performance.

Not true, source? (in reply to It does indeed reduce performance, though. By about 4%.)

anadtech - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/nvidia-publishes-statement-on-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation

Shadow of Mordor is a good reference, as even at 1080p it will lag with ultra textures.

that proves nothing given that SoM ultra textures need 6GB vram and the 970 only has 4GB of vram.  

i personally have run farcry 4 with 3.4-3.8gb usage @ 60fps with no issues what so ever.....

all i see is the same people posting the same shit and most of it baseless. its been a month and so far nothing has come out to show the 970 is suffering from any issues at all. face it nvidia didnt mis lead you you have the card that all the benches advertised. your not gonna get your free shit....deal with it

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I am building a PC with a i7-4790k and EVGA 970, should I scrap the 970 and go with another card due to the ram-gate issue? I will be recording Battlefield 4 at 1440p Medium/High settings.

I am building a PC with a i7-4790k and EVGA 970, should I scrap the 970 and go with another card due to the ram-gate issue? I will be recording Battlefield 4 at 1440p Medium/High settings.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,16.html

3GB cards have no problem in BF4. A single 970 gets over 60 fps at ultra preset with 2x MSAA.

no. the 970 is still better than its competition

@meritmaster lmfao The source is LITERALLY IN THE PCPER ARTICLE LINKED THAT YOU ARE QUOTING.

From what I can tell Linus pulled "50%" completely out of the air -- EVERY source I've seen has said that it is 4 times faster than dumping to system ram, including the pcper article you obstinately refused to read, instead just jabbering "source" after it.

Shadow of Mordor's highest res textures need 6GB vram, they were literally put in to give Titans some kind of benefit. Obviously a 970 will struggle. As will a 980, a 780 Ti, a 290X...

And now you're asking me to prove that the card was benchmarked by reviewers on release? You know what, your response is an absolute joke. Organise your thoughts into something coherent, and then come back

Yea, i know it was, but i was wondering what was your source, how was i suppose to know what you're getting your information from? Don't really see why you're "LMFAO". 

"From what I can tell Linus pulled "50%" completely out of the air" - Well if he was wrong about that, then he should say so, not my fault i heard false information. 

"Shadow of Mordor's highest res textures need 6GB vram, they were literally put in to give Titans some kind of benefit. Obviously a 970 will struggle. As will a 980, a 780 Ti, a 290X..."

Is that why the gtx 980 doesn't frame hitch with shadow of morodor, and runs the game at 56fps-120ish FPS? I have ran both cards side by side, so i've actually seen it run fine, and you have not. You're basically talking outta your ass.

"And now you're asking me to prove that the card was benchmarked by reviewers on release? You know what, your response is an absolute joke. Organise Organize

your thoughts into something coherent, and then come back"

- You acted like you knew that reviewers dig as deep as i suggested, but you don't, so you should have never said "While you are complaining that no one bothered to test this card -- they did. They bench

marked it heavily. They tested every game under the sun at 4K -- usually with something ridiculous like 8xMSAA for good measure. And not once did any of them notice memory to be the limiting factor in

this GPU.". If they bench marked it so heavily show me an example?

there it is. you carcked we can all stop looking for the truth. meritmasters friend has confirmed it. the most relable source on the matter. the 970 is a pile of shit and can be binned...muppet

anadtech - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/nvidia-publishes-statement-on-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation

that proves nothing given that SoM ultra textures need 6GB vram and the 970 only has 4GB of vram.  

i personally have run farcry 4 with 3.4-3.8gb usage @ 60fps with no issues what so ever.....

all i see is the same people posting the same shit and most of it baseless. its been a month and so far nothing has come out to show the 970 is suffering from any issues at all. face it nvidia didnt mis lead you you have the card that all the benches advertised. your not gonna get your free shit....deal with 

No shit Sherlock. That has been established. Someone based their opinion off a small 5 minute video, where the game was just so happening to 60FPS in one area of the game. 

that proves nothing given that SoM ultra textures need 6GB vram and the 970 only has 4GB of vram.  

There is virtually no stutter, or frame hitching on the GTX 980, as the GTX 970 does have massive stutter, and awful frame hitching; I've seen both side by side, and tested the performance in multiple

sections of the game. Just because they say it need 6gb vram, doesn't necessarily make that true.   

personally have run farcry 4 with 3.4-3.8gb usage @ 60fps with no issues what so ever.....

Cool, it can hit 4gb of usage, but doesn't make all 4 useful. You're also bullshitting about that FPS.

all i see is the same people posting the same shit and most of it baseless. its been a month and so far nothing has come out to show the 970 is suffering from any issues at all. face it nvidia didnt mis lead you you have the card that all the benches advertised. your not gonna get your free shit....deal with it

I never asked for free shit, and i was mislead by an Newegg overview. Newegg offered me a full refund, and Gigabyte has offered my a GTX 980 upgrade.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Yea, i know it was, but i was wondering what was your source, how was i suppose to know what you're getting your information from? Don't really see why you're "LMFAO". 

"From what I can tell Linus pulled "50%" completely out of the air" - Well if he was wrong about that, then he should say so, not my fault i heard false information. 

Is that why the gtx 980 doesn't frame hitch with shadow of morodor, and runs the game at 56fps-120ish FPS? I have ran both cards side by side, so i've actually seen it run fine, and you have not. You're basically talking outta your ass.

- You acted like you knew that reviewers dig as deep as i suggested, but you don't, so you should have never said "While you are complaining that no one bothered to test this card -- they did. They bench

marked it heavily. They tested every game under the sun at 4K -- usually with something ridiculous like 8xMSAA for good measure. And not once did any of them notice memory to be the limiting factor in

No shit Sherlock. That has been established. Someone based their opinion off a small 5 minute video, where the game was just so happening to 60FPS in one area of the game. 

There is virtually no stutter, or frame hitching on the GTX 980, as the GTX 970 does have massive stutter, and awful frame hitching; I've seen both side by side, and tested the performance in multiple

sections of the game. Just because they say it need 6gb vram, doesn't necessarily make that true.   

Cool, it can hit 4gb of usage, but doesn't make all 4 useful. You're also bullshitting about that FPS.

I never asked for free shit, and i was mislead by an Newegg overview. Newegg offered me a full refund, and Gigabyte has offered my a GTX 980 upgrade.

I myself tested with my i5 4440-16GB RAM-GTX 970 @+140MHz (no bottleneck), and my Core 2  E8500-7GB RAM-GTX970 @+140 (bottleneck). With my i5 as soon as more than 3.5GB I had massive sudden drops in FPS (I saw it go all the way down to 7 in intensive scenarios before going back to 60FPS (V-Sync). with my E8500 the game actually ran smoother as instead of it it just stuttering the actual average FPS decreased-it was already dipping as low as 1FPS in some scenes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

you comment on me spouting bullshit then come up with this load of shite. first vid i came to on the 980 w ultra textures and it was stuttering. 1 jumped from 90 fps down to 28

i cant be arsed with this anymore. i have other more important things to deal with.  

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

you comment on me spouting bullshit then come up with this load of shite. first vid i came to on the 980 w ultra textures and it was stuttering. 1 jumped from 90 fps down to 28

i cant be arsed with this anymore. i have other more important things to deal with.  

You don't seem to understand i had both side by side, but here are some video that show Shadow of Mordor running fine with ultra textures, one even showed the game being played on Ultra HD, and it still had ultra textures on there. Can't find this "first video" you where it showed the GTX 980 stuttering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGKvjXylnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MDtpWQqAZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBmWZ_K5FVw

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

The fact that this is still devolving into a shit show is unsettling. We all already know that Nvidia lied, and that the card has an issue. An issue that cannot be changed without a change in hardware. But that's not something that's going to happen. There has been proof that for most peoples use of the card, it runs 100% fine, and for those that are trying to use it in SLI for 4k or what have you, and some people at the demanding end of 1080p through 1440p are having some issues as well on a select few games. We know what the card can and cannot do at this point. And a stock 970 is not going to get above 60FPS on all current titles maxed out. A good number of them, maybe. but not all.

The 970 is still the best card for the price if you are realistic with your expectations. If you think you are buying a single card solution for maxing everything out at 1440p and having a solid 60+ experience, you were setting yourself up for disappointment even had this card been able to reach the advertised bandwidth all the way through.

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Jesus Christ guyz 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Hi guys!

I was just wondering, is it going to be possible for future drivers to fix the 970 at all?  I'm currently talking to EVGA about sending it back but I thought I'd get some feedback from some people on the forums first!  Since I got the 970 I've noticed performance drops in almost all my games which ran perfectly fine on the Gtx 670 I had.  With the exceptions being Assassins Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 which do seem to run better.   But in games such as Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, The Witcher, etc. everything is worse.  I've also noticed that anything in VR appears to run horribly with my 970 while the 670 handled it just fine :(.   I doubt driver updates will improve things like this much but I thought I'd get feedback from you guys! I hope I posted in the correct spot as I am new to the forums haha.

Thanks guys!

They tell you to sleep on the problem, MAAAN! 
But What if your problem is INSOMNIA?! 

Hi guys!

I was just wondering, is it going to be possible for future drivers to fix the 970 at all?  I'm currently talking to EVGA about sending it back but I thought I'd get some feedback from some people on the forums first!  Since I got the 970 I've noticed performance drops in almost all my games which ran perfectly fine on the Gtx 670 I had.  With the exceptions being Assassins Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 which do seem to run better.   But in games such as Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, The Witcher, etc. everything is worse.  I've also noticed that anything in VR appears to run horribly with my 970 while the 670 handled it just fine :(.   I doubt driver updates will improve things like this much but I thought I'd get feedback from you guys! I hope I posted in the correct spot as I am new to the forums haha.

Thanks guys!

I doubt driver updates will ever fix the issue. at best they might be able to restructure what uses the slower parts of the ram so that less important less speed sensitive data is stored there.

However reading that you say your 670 performs better out of the box I'd say return the 970 because you are actually describing a dud card or a card with a significant problem and not the vram issue.  The 970 should shit all over the 670.  In fact truth be told the vram issue should only be noticeable if you go looking for it, not immediately apparent and worse than 670.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hi guys!

Thanks guys!

TF2, CSGO (and other source games) run with no issue on my 970, almost always consistent 100+ fps. With a 970 source games are generally going to be cpu limited... I haven't played the first witcher on my 970, but TW2 performance was fine on max settings (except ubersampling off of course)

I doubt driver updates will ever fix the issue. at best they might be able to restructure what uses the slower parts of the ram so that less important less speed sensitive data is stored there.

However reading that you say your 670 performs better out of the box I'd say return the 970 because you are actually describing a dud card or a card with a significant problem and not the vram issue.  The 970 should shit all over the 670.  In fact truth be told the vram issue should only be noticeable if you go looking for it, not immediately apparent and worse than 670.

His issue is almost certainly totally unrelated to the 'vram issue', because he says that unity and fc4 run fine (which are two of the most vram heavy games out there), and the games he has issue with are older games (csgo, tf2, the witcher), which will never come anywhere remotely close to using 4gb vram...

So should I just return it and get another 970 then?  I didn't think it was the vram issue but I don't know a ton haha.  I'm glad to hear that it's probably just a bad card and not my computer dying though :) .  I tested some random games not sure if it matters but here are frame rates.

Skyrim:~55-60

Battlefield 3:~32 FPS

Battlefield 4:~45 FPS

Witcher 2:(recommended settings)~15-45FPS (drops everytime i turn the camera)

AC:Unity:~30FPS

Far Cry 4:~45FPS

Dragon Age Inquisition:~35FPS

TF2:~20-70 apparent random drops

Battlefield Bad Company 2: Constant 70 but looks as if the frame is constantly stuttering

Counter Strike Source: 250-300 but appears to stutter.

Metro 2033~30FPS

Metro Last Light~35FPS

Tomb Raider Benchmark: Avg 88FPS

Anything in VR\=Horrid screen tearing

Anything I didn't list settings for is running on the highest available. However on a few such as BF3 and BF4 I tried lowering it all the way and saw almost no change.

Anyway you get the idea, I'll probably return it now after talking to you guys, hopefully someone can confirm that framerates shouldn't be that awful in some of those games though  :unsure:

So should I just return it and get another 970 then?  I didn't think it was the vram issue but I don't know a ton haha.  I'm glad to hear that it's probably just a bad card and not my computer dying though :) .  I tested some random games not sure if it matters but here are frame rates.

Skyrim:~55-60

Battlefield 3:~32 FPS

Battlefield 4:~45 FPS

Witcher 2:(recommended settings)~15-45FPS (drops everytime i turn the camera)

AC:Unity:~30FPS

Far Cry 4:~45FPS

Dragon Age Inquisition:~35FPS

TF2:~20-70 apparent random drops

Battlefield Bad Company 2: Constant 70 but looks as if the frame is constantly stuttering

Counter Strike Source: 250-300 but appears to stutter.

Metro 2033~30FPS

Metro Last Light~35FPS

Tomb Raider Benchmark: Avg 88FPS

Anything in VR\=Horrid screen tearing

Anything I didn't list settings for is running on the highest available. However on a few such as BF3 and BF4 I tried lowering it all the way and saw almost no change.

Anyway you get the idea, I'll probably return it now after talking to you guys, hopefully someone can confirm that framerates shouldn't be that awful in some of those games though  :unsure:

That is horrible fps for those settings. Something is amiss for sure.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

That is horrible fps for those settings. Something is amiss for sure.

My friends think it may be my processor. which even if my processor is the bottleneck of my system I shouldn't get worse performance with a new card should I?  I would think it would be atleast the same??  :blink:

My friends think it may be my processor. which even if my processor is the bottleneck of my system I shouldn't get worse performance with a new card should I?  I would think it would be atleast the same??  :blink:

CPU is probably the bottleneck.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

A10-5800K with a 970? What were you thinking?

A10-5800K with a 970? What were you thinking?

I didn't have enough to upgrade everything at once I just upgraded my card first, I didn't think my performance in all my games would be worse though.

I didn't have enough to upgrade everything at once I just upgraded my card first, I didn't think my performance in all my games would be worse though.

well you sure picked the wrong platform for upgrades

well you sure picked the wrong platform for upgrades

R.I.P my PC until I have more money then  :(