Reviving an old PC with a 1070Ti >:) (and other plans)

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
7 minutes ago, Maisa said:

Looking to buy a 1070Ti + 600W PSU I know it is kinda overkill but I want to have the pc working now and upgrade it down the line. 

In the market right now 1070Ti s are going for around 150$ and the PSU that I think would be good for the build is Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W 80 Plus - 70$.

The 1070 to seems a bit pricey for $150, but if that's your local market and the price is fair compared to something like a used RTX 2060 or RX 6600, then it's a good option. In the United states, I would expect to pay closer to $100 for a used 1070 ti.

The thermaltake smart, on the other hand, I would recommend against. Look at some Be Quiet power supplies around the 550 watt range. 

With the other budget i'm planning to buy RAM since this PC only has 6GBs of DDR3 and here I a have another dilemma : Instead of buying DDR3 for the setup, can I instead buy DDR4 RAM and put it in this motherboard? So I don't spend money again on RAM when I upgrade the motherboard in the future. I've heard it's only downside would be that it would run at lower speed. 

Your 3rd Gen i5 has a memory controller that won't know what to do with DDR4, so even if a physical adapter existed to put DDR4 into a DDR3 slot (I don't think such a thing has been created), the CPU wouldn't recognize it. 

Budget (including currency): 300$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender (Rendering) and Gaming

Other details:

Hi y'all, after some time of gathering the budget i'm planning to revive my PC since my last video card died.

The idea is now to get buy good parts that are the most important right now (GPU, PSU. RAM) and upgrade the other parts later (Mobo, CPU).

Currently I have an i5 3470 and a AsRock H61M-VS and 6GB DDR3 RAM.

Looking to buy a 1070Ti + 600W PSU I know it is kinda overkill but I want to have the pc working now and upgrade it down the line. 

In the market right now 1070Ti s are going for around 150$ and the PSU that I think would be good for the build is Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W 80 Plus - 70$.

With the other budget i'm planning to buy RAM since this PC only has 6GBs of DDR3 and here I a have another dilemma : Instead of buying DDR3 for the setup, can I instead buy DDR4 RAM and put it in this motherboard? So I don't spend money again on RAM when I upgrade the motherboard in the future. I've heard it's only downside would be that it would run at lower speed. 

I have a couple of questions:

Do you guys recommend this PSU?

Also is 150$ a good price for a 1070Ti?

What Motherboard + CPU combo would be good for a 1070Ti?

The 1070 to seems a bit pricey for $150, but if that's your local market and the price is fair compared to something like a used RTX 2060 or RX 6600, then it's a good option. In the United states, I would expect to pay closer to $100 for a used 1070 ti.

The thermaltake smart, on the other hand, I would recommend against. Look at some Be Quiet power supplies around the 550 watt range. 

Your 3rd Gen i5 has a memory controller that won't know what to do with DDR4, so even if a physical adapter existed to put DDR4 into a DDR3 slot (I don't think such a thing has been created), the CPU wouldn't recognize it. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, 2060s are on average are 1.5x 1070Ti prices here so I opted for this one. I'm not sure how fairly that is priced but on average GPUs are still more expensive here than the US market for example. I'll take a look at Be Quiet power supplies and their prices, thanks.

Also, in power supplies what are some other reliable brands? And what makes their product reliable? 

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Oh dang, I thought DDR4 and DDR3 had the same slot types lol. Thought I could just pop them in like the DDR3. Well then I guess I have no other choice.

Thanks for the quick response

4 minutes ago, Maisa said:

I'll take a look at Be Quiet power supplies and their prices, thanks.

Also, in power supplies what are some other reliable brands? And what makes their product reliable? 

It's less about the brand, even though some are generally better than others, a "bad" brand can make a good product and vice versa.

here is a reference that I like to use because I am not entirely a PSU expert:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

The main things that you care about in a power supply are:
Good protections
Good voltage regulation
Quality components

These things can be difficult to find out about for the average consumer. That's why this list is handy, it took a lot of effort on the part of the creators to compile. Since you are going for a mid range graphics card and want a decent platform to upgrade with, I recommend you look for some of the models in the B tier. Or rather, grab the model names of the power supplies you can afford and see where they fall on the list.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It's less about the brand, even though some are generally better than others, a "bad" brand can make a good product and vice versa.

here is a reference that I like to use because I am not entirely a PSU expert:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Good protections
Good voltage regulation
Quality components

These things can be difficult to find out about for the average consumer. That's why this list is handy, it took a lot of effort on the part of the creators to compile. Since you are going for a mid range graphics card and want a decent platform to upgrade with, I recommend you look for some of the models in the B tier. Or rather, grab the model names of the power supplies you can afford and see where they fall on the list.

I'll take a look at it, thank you so much.

49 minutes ago, Maisa said:

Depending on what parts you upgrade to, you might be fine with weak PSUs, though do note that there's not many good quality PSUs the lower wattage you go, so 600W would actually be the bottom barrel already almost

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

53 minutes ago, Maisa said:

Do you guys recommend this PSU?

find a couple of PSUs around 70$ mark and I'll tell you how good they are

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Good protections
Good voltage regulation
Quality components

protections are mentioned explicitly whilst "good voltage regulation" and "quality" components cant be quantified, i dunno even half the bloody protections they put on psus these days aside from the obvious ocp (overcurrent) and otp (overtemp)

an easy guideline i usually use is 12v must be single rail and 12v wattage may not exceed 100w below psus advertised rating, closer the 12v rail wattage is to the psus advertised wattage the better the psu, usually i use this for shopping used psus where there are lots of obscure brands but it also works for new psus, then you can use the tierlist and look online for reviews, this weeds out actual trash psus for the most part

F tier to psus with actual known issues you can also find reports of online outside the tierlist are the ones to avoid, otherwise the tiers dont matter especially a tier

gpu wise idk your used market need more references for gpu prices, though alternatives i suggest looking for are the rx 5700(xt) and rx 6600(xt)

btw what sites are you using for buying both new and used?

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

gpu wise idk your used market need more references for gpu prices, though alternatives i suggest looking for are the rx 5700(xt) and rx 6600(xt)

btw what sites are you using for buying both new and used?

I use a Georgian site mymarket.ge its the most popular here.

Also i took a look at facebook marketplace prices, which are 10-20$ cheaper but doesn't come with warranty, since the sellers are just people, not stores. Even though stores sell second hand hardware, they come with warranty so I prefer to buy it from a store still.

RX5700XT goes for around 225$ here and RX 6600XT for 255$. Are those prices good for those cards?

9 hours ago, podkall said:

find a couple of PSUs around 70$ mark and I'll tell you how good they are

This is the first one : EVGA 600B 80+ Bronze, no warranty

30504071_1.jpg?v=330504071_2.jpg?v=3

Corsair 650-Watt TX 80 Plus, no warranty

30199119_2.jpg?v=2

I found a shop near me that had listing for these PSUs, all with one year warranty, they are new, which one would you recommend?

Deepcool PF650, 650W, 80 Plus, One year warranty, 50$

Deepcool PK800D, 800W 80Plus Bronze Power Supply, One year warranty, 80$

Deepcool PF700 , 80PLUS 230V EU 700W 120mm Fan, One year warranty, 55$

MSI 306-7ZP2B11-CE0 MAG A650BN 650W 80 Plus, One year warranty, 60$

They also have other PSUs but they are mostly Zalman and Golden Field, which I have been recommended against.

10 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

F tier to psus with actual known issues you can also find reports of online outside the tierlist are the ones to avoid, otherwise the tiers dont matter especially a tier

it's worth noting for less informed, that even E and F tier PSUs have protections, they are just very bad or often faulty or low quality,

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

This is the first one : EVGA 600B 80+ Bronze, no warranty

not good, in E "avoid" tier

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

Corsair 650-Watt TX 80 Plus, no warranty

Corsair TX looks decent, not much info and looks old, @Somerandomtechyboi could confirm or deny

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

Deepcool PF650, 650W, 80 Plus, One year warranty, 50$

E tier

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

Deepcool PK800D, 800W 80Plus Bronze Power Supply, One year warranty, 80$

C tier good, enough for low to low-mid range PCs

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

Deepcool PF700 , 80PLUS 230V EU 700W 120mm Fan, One year warranty, 55$

PF is E tier unless it's 750W and more, 700W is below 750

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

MSI Mag A-BN is a good PSU, I can tell without looking into the list,

yes it's C tier, which is good, this is C tier mythology:

image.thumb.png.f78ba5a3865088949d671ed122204b30.png

Basically for budget builds that don't use high end parts or mid-high end, C tier can work with 0 issues on those.

• MSI A650BN and Corsair TX,

2 hours ago, Maisa said:

They also have other PSUs but they are mostly Zalman and Golden Field, which I have been recommended against.

Yeah some brands have more junk than good, Corsair for example is decent shot, unless it's some outdated or old PSU, they have PSUs in bad tiers too, but not as many as other brands might have

PC:

PCs I used before:

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

Basically for budget builds that don't use high end parts or mid-high end, C tier can work with 0 issues on those.

• MSI A650BN and Corsair TX

I see, in conclusion then, I will either get a MSI one or DeepCool PK800D since they come with warranty. Thanks so much for the info.

45 minutes ago, Maisa said:

I see, in conclusion then, I will either get a MSI one or DeepCool PK800D since they come with warranty. Thanks so much for the info.

np, the MSI is not bad for you, the 1070ti draws like less than 200W realistically

PC:

PCs I used before:

1 hour ago, podkall said:

it's worth noting for less informed, that even E and F tier PSUs have protections, they are just very bad or often faulty or low quality,

Or just unknown like the s12iii

I mean theyre still usable though unless its a pgm

1 hour ago, podkall said:

yes it's C tier, which is good, this is C tier mythology:

image.thumb.png.f78ba5a3865088949d671ed122204b30.png

Itll probably drive a 6950xt or 4080s (300-350w) no issue as long as you arent running a 14700k or a really power hungry cpu so a ryzen would do just fine here

Tiers are just too generalized to account for stuff like this, and both the a and b tiers are useless as theyre basically the same thing

As for the tx dunno cause no image and no price though i assume its the older model in which case just get the a650bn, might aswell buy used if you are buying an older model so you can get a quality one like the rmx

53 minutes ago, Maisa said:

best value of the bunch

used might be able to get you a better unit though due to most ppls aversion towards used psus where here in indo i can buy a 1200w andyson px for 56$ and thatd only get me a noticably crappier a650bn new

10 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Itll probably drive a 6950xt or 4080s (300-350w) no issue as long as you arent running a 14700k or a really power hungry cpu so a ryzen would do just fine here

I wouldn't trust C tier PSU with a 4080 Super personally, because of transients, I don't care how "solved" transients are it's not like they don't exist or that it's not a high end card,

PC:

PCs I used before:

29 minutes ago, podkall said:

I wouldn't trust C tier PSU with a 4080 Super personally, because of transients, I don't care how "solved" transients are it's not like they don't exist or that it's not a high end card,

i guess the amd cards will work fine then, ive already reccomended used 6800xts paired with new 650w bp and the 6800xt is only 300w paired with a ryzen that wont draw much over 100w

i just dont trust the tiering system that much, mid high end nvidia (4070tis) or high end amd (7900xtx) if the thing has enough wattage

20 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i guess the amd cards will work fine then, ive already reccomended used 6800xts paired with new 650w bp and the 6800xt is only 300w paired with a ryzen that wont draw much over 100w

i just dont trust the tiering system that much, mid high end nvidia (4070tis) or high end amd (7900xtx) if the thing has enough wattage

I mean sure, but I wouldn't pair it with XTX personally, anyone else can pair explody PSU with 4090 all they want

PC:

PCs I used before: