NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 STRIX from ASUS

LinusTech

Didn't find this video to be very realistic or helpful. It ignore the elephant in the room which is how much better a 7950/280 or 7970/280x is at a very similar price point. Not to mention the extra vram and memory bandwidth.  (or the fact the 280 is on sale for $180 dollars($150 after MIR at Newegg])

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

It is soo frustrating to see that they showed a lot of graphs for 10 seconds in total and not even once mentioning that AMD has a better lineup. I know they are biased a bit towards nVidia... but c'mon!!

I wish they made it 3GB VRAM, I would have considered it then.

4. 2GB of RAM...not exactly future proof. There are already some AAA games that need 3GB to run at max settings at 1080p.

I'd buy it only for a quiet media PC running a 4k tv.

It's meant to be competition for the newer 285 that has 2GB, not the older 7950/7970 that were rebranded into 280/280X.

Also for 4K HTPC, Intel HD Graphics will do the job for that, don't need a $200+ GPU.

"Rawr XD"

All the YouTuber's and tech websites are uploading 960 videos at the same time!

TOO MUCH NEWS!

They really are doing it at the same time, check your YouTube sub box guys!

Yh I got 5  960 reviews in youtube and 4 on the websites I visit, all within like 10 mins of eachother, I guess they signed a doc to not release reviews b4 that moment 3.5 hrs ago  :P

Ontopic: not impressed, price here in the netherlands will be too close to the 280x and 770 to be a viable option :(

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Linus! Could you check out the MSI GTX 960 too? It has the Twin Frozr V cooler on it, requires more power, could it out perform the GTX 960 Strix?

It's meant to be competition for the newer 285 that has 2GB, not the older 7950/7970 that were rebranded into 280/280X.

Being competition to 285 doesn't mean it should have the same amount of ram.

Also for 4K HTPC, Intel HD Graphics will do the job for that, don't need a $200+ GPU.

Yea I didn't think it trough...

I'd complain about the value compared to AMD's cards, but then again, all of Nvidia's offerings are really bad value when compared to AMD's...

Nice cooling feature, though. There's no way I would waste that much price/performance just for how quiet it'll be, but it's a nice feature.

Why this video take so long to post? 

We had to wait until the review embargo was lifted to post our video. Some companies set a date and time at which news and reviews about a certain product (usually a release with quite a bit of hype around it) can be released. This time around that was 6am PT on January 22.

All the YouTuber's and tech websites are uploading 960 videos at the same time!

TOO MUCH NEWS!

They really are doing it at the same time, check your YouTube sub box guys!

As mentioned above, this was due to the review embargo set on the 960. Everyone wants to be first to post their video, but when there is a set time to release it just becomes a spamfest :P

Well I'm kinda biased towards my lovely jubbly bibbly bubbly - okay that was absolutely gay. Sorry.

So what I'm tryinto say is...yeah I said try into say because carrots are healthy and red so I mean...I do firmly believe that uhm

GTX-750 TI beats 'em all!

The r9 280x is just a much better option for really not that much more..

i am very disappointed, i have to buy a gpu for around 200$ and i am certainly not getting this one..

Yeah, 280x is unbeatable in the $200 range. NCIXUS has an XFX R9 280x for $205 after rebate.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=91053&vpn=R9-280X-TDFD&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1356

But at similar prices, the 280x is the 960's competition. And the 280x mops the floor with this crap release.

But at similar prices, the 280x is the 960's competition. And the 280x mops the floor with this crap release.

280X is an older card (rebranded 7970 GHz), the more modern Tonga-based 285 is more what Nvidia is trying to target.

"Rawr XD"

280X is an older card (rebranded 7970 GHz), the more modern Tonga-based 285 is more what Nvidia is trying to target.

I don't care what Nvidia's target is, I'm looking at this from the perspective of a gamer who wants great performance and hopes to get 2-3 good years out of the card. Which at $200 and above I don't see as much of a stretch. I can understand not comparing it to the R9 280 since that's on fire sale and isn't being produced anymore with the 285 replacing it, but the R9 280x isn't going to be taken out of production until the R9 300 series launches.

So, I currently have an MSI n580GTX in my machine.

For $200 I can either get a new GTX 960, or a second n580GTX

Which would give me a better performance boost? 

That is a little disappointing performance, and I'm not talking about vs AMD (AMD always has the better price vs performance) I'm talking about vs Nvidia's other cards.

barely better than a 760 and only 2gigs vram.

Sure, it is launching for less than the 760 and that's why it is only a little disappointing.

Holy crap, I just checked out Neweggs prices for 760s.

All the cards that were around $230 US are out of stock and the ones that are in stock are $340+ US.

Why would you buy a GTX 960 if the R9 280x (HD7970) is beating it in most gaming benchmarks and has a 384 bit memory bus and 3GB of ram?

Ya power savings but your could run a R9 280x on a decent 550w powersupply........

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Why would you buy a GTX 960 if the R9 280x (HD7970) is beating it in most gaming benchmarks and has a 384 bit memory bus and 3GB of ram?

Ya power savings but your could run a R9 280x on a decent 550w powersupply........

cuz amd sucks /s

RIP in pepperonis m8s

That is a little disappointing performance, and I'm not talking about vs AMD (AMD always has the better price vs performance) I'm talking about vs Nvidia's other cards.

barely better than a 760 and only 2gigs vram.

Sure, it is launching for less than the 760 and that's why it is only a little disappointing.

Holy crap, I just checked out Neweggs prices for 760s.

All the cards that were around $230 US are out of stock and the ones that are in stock are $340+ US.

I saw the 760 on sale for $199 a couple days ago.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I wanna see this in sli vs 780 in 2 way sli

2 of these are about as fast as a 980. Anandtech did a review and benchmark of it!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

This is like the R9 270x vs GTX 760 all over again.

They just need to drop the price of it in hopes of it being actually relevant for gamers.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Releases after the 285, is slightly worse, and costs $270 compared to $200 which the 285 costs... What a useless card.