AT&T will stop investing in high-speed fiber internet until net neutrality rules decided

Dietrichw

Source

at%26t.1.u.png

AT&T has responded to the President's support of Net Neutrality. The CEO Randall Stephenson said that AT&T would stop investing in high-speed fiber connections for 100 cities until the FCC makes a decision on internet service provider regulation. Stephenson also said that if the FCC sides with the President and pass "tough" rules like Title II, the FCC would face years of litigation. AT&T is complaining that Title II would hurt competition (it doesn't) and along with other ISP plan potential lawsuits if such laws are passed. 

Ah, so now they're flat out threatening the FCC in public.

Because that makes sense.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Why do we have Net Neutrality? Even Obama is for it. All they want is more money and more control over us..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

the FCC would face years of litigation

so now they are threatening the fcc. good guy at&t /s

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Net neutrality cant hurt competition if there isn't any in the first place. And what good is fiber if at&t is throttling every thing

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Unfortunately, there's no hope. Literally every major ISP smartphone carrier in the country is against net neutrality. The government will give in because of the expense of lawsuits from AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, T-Mobile, and who knows who else?

Still waiting on Google Fiber to save me from my Comcast Internet. It's fairly fast (100 down, 25 up) but fairly unreliable.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Google fiber needs to hook up in San Antonio already

They need to hook up everywhere, but they just don't have the infrastructure to do it.  I'm just hoping that the more the net neutrality issue drags on, the more Google will ramp up their Fiber initiative.  Push the other ISPs out of business while they're too busy throwing temper tantrums.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Big companies are taking the advancement of the world hostage because they didn't like what we are doing... This is why we need net neutrality. We can't have those with power stifle our innovations..

Wait, AT&T was working on a fiber network?
From all I've heard of ISPs in the US, I would've thought that was impossible. (Or are they just lying?)

In any case, this is clearly a threat. Though it's not like the FCC would've done it in the first place, not even with the president's support.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Wait, AT&T was working on a fiber network?

From all I've heard of ISPs in the US, I would've thought that was impossible. (Or are they just lying?)

In any case, this is clearly a threat. Though it's not like the FCC would've done it in the first place, not even with the president's support.

Verizon already has the fiber network, the other ones have just been too cheap.  To be honest I'm not actually displeased with my current connection from Verizon but I am displeased with their pricing, their business practices, and their stance on net neutrality.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought AT&T made a deal with the government to not violate net neutrality for 5 years anyways?

It's times like these I wish I was pro at fund raising.

There is zero education requirement to join office in the states. As a result, uneducated people are theatened by an empty threat.

anyone remember when AT&T swallowed Cingular? during that time they also wanted T-Mobile. I thank the gods T-Mobile never sold to AT&T.

I wonder how far AT&T would of made it without eating Cingular and parts of T-Mobile's market.

I dispise AT&T.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Good. Let their network crumble and die. Then maybe competing companies will get an advantage.

There is zero education requirement to join office in the states. As a result, uneducated people are theatened by an empty threat.

anyone remember when AT&T swallowed Cingular? during that time they also wanted T-Mobile. I thank the gods T-Mobile never sold to AT&T.

I wonder how far AT&T would of made it without eating Cingular and parts of T-Mobile's market.

I dispise AT&T.

Well TECHNICALLY AT&T doesn't exist anymore so you hate a ghost :P

(When they were forced to disband the company AT&T ceased to exist and the new company at&t was created with the same staff and same assets and soon the same acquisitions but shhh totally different)

I dispise AT&T.

Cingular, oh the memories

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

As a AT&T customer that hasn't had any problems with their service(probably because of my business package), I would at least like to do a bit of devil's advocate on this.

I can see on one hand that holding off fiber in "100 cities"(has been planned since April 2014) before the rules are decided can benefit them more because if the rules are changed then they could expand into more prominent cities that they didn't have access too before in.

If the rules aren't changed then they go back doing whatever they were doing before, hopefully.

My city already has a fiber backbone to their DSLAM's and then the last mile(mine is 750ft) is copper to the house, however we are not up for their "Giga-Fiber". Also I can't comment on their spiel about FCC facing litigation, if I was the FCC I'd put the ban hammer on them and make everything TitleII just to make them shut up.

Unfortunately, there's no hope. Literally every major ISP smartphone carrier in the country is against net neutrality. The government will give in because of the expense of lawsuits from AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, T-Mobile, and who knows who else?

Technically the president can over rule court decisions so they shouldn't be scared of that, he did it when the court found apple guilty of IP theft ( I think his excuse was it would hurt the economy too much).

So in reality there is no reason for the government to side with ISPs.  If they do it is pure corruption or pure stupidity, they can decide what they are.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

oh gosh AT&T I hate u more and more everytime i see u in the news...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Technically the president can over rule court decisions so they shouldn't be scared of that, he did it when the court found apple guilty of IP theft ( I think his excuse was it would hurt the economy too much).

So in reality there is no reason for the government to side with ISPs.  If they do it is pure corruption or pure stupidity, they can decide what they are.

Apple paid him off. The people who want net neutrality are good guys, so they won't bribe him. The ISPs however? They're already trying to find what his price is.