The tech industry is losing patience with Microsoft over Windows 10 updates / Re-release of Win 10 v1809 still plagued with issues

Delicieuxz
1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Makes me wonder why Microsoft’s excellent precision drivers used by the Surface line aren’t standard to all PC OEMs? 

Because it needs high specs touch pad to start with, and some OEMs can't manage to fit that in the target price point. But you do have OEMs release some premium systems with it. They are not better than the Surface one sadly, but very good nonetheless. This is primarily because Apple and Microsoft makes their own trackpad. while OEMs uses pre-made solutions. So, they'll use :shrugs: Alps :oh god: trackpads, or Synaptic ones for example. And of course these manufacture have different models, some better than others at different price points. Same applies to touch screens, although OEMs don't tend to cheap out, probably because it is too visible when you do (not responsive, vibrating cursor, hit the wrong button that is next to the intended button that was tap on, etc.)

Each time I hear another Windows 10 update horror story, I make sure that my Windows Update service is set to Manual and not running. Thankfully, all is still good.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

49 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Like restaurant workers, the cooks

special sauce

They probably use Windows Products for the printout thingy doodad.

Its best just to not update, let it slide for a month then update.

That's why it's funny that Windows updates always seem to be auto-starting randomly, sometimes the release is buggy so the user actually doesn't want to upgrade. They seem to have improved that now though.

12 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

it's still based on Wine. a lot of games don't work properly and as far as i know the one's that do work still have a big performance hit... 

this is a list of games that are officially compatible..

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/33483305-Proton-Compatible/

and even then many have gotten a load of non official games to work without mush hassle and problem

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

4 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

That's why it's funny that Windows updates always seem to be auto-starting randomly, sometimes the release is buggy so the user actually doesn't want to upgrade. They seem to have improved that now though.

There is a reason why Billy and team do that, they force you to update. I noticed how the first "bugs" set the security settings wide open, I do not think its a coincidence at all.

I see the issue of installing it onto certain laptops (upgrading) still occasionally kills peoples audio drivers and a reinstall of the audio drivers after the update is required. Appears to impact realtek audio chips and/or Intel HD Audio.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

There is a reason why Billy and team do that, they force you to update. I noticed how the first "bugs" set the security settings wide open, I do not think its a coincidence at all.

If you're trying to say they reset/re-activate all the hidden monitoring systems then you're probably right. It's all about money.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

It's all about money.

Always has been

Always will be

Greedy thats all it is

Bill and team seem to be scrambling, and not taking the time to care about what they put out.

Don't have this probelm, but critical work machines and so should postponed updates for a while in general. Consumer devices will be less proned to number of issues. 

But what MS said lately, they really need to work more on under the hood updateds. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

they really need to work more on under the hood updateds. 

A lot of it is probably outsourced to cheapest bidder.

Just now, Canada EH said:

A lot of it is probably outsourced to cheapest bidder.

Hah, I get they like to put new features, some many don't need, some not finished, but they need o have optimization and bug fix updates more often along big update. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

they need

needs

wants

ying and yang of life

they do what they do because of the workplace culture which boils down to human nature on the corporate scale.

keep doing what they are doing, because change is yukky and costs too much money in perception.

and I was forced to update . it asked me to pick a time or restart now , it did update on its own :/ am scared for my device . at least luckily I have backups but still its a hassle to re do everything 

I'd love to download it if Windows didn't break its own updater a few months back.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

needs

wants

ying and yang of life

they do what they do because of the workplace culture which boils down to human nature on the corporate scale.

keep doing what they are doing, because change is yukky and costs too much money in perception.

Well for better long run they better start taking notes and improve their approach. Cause shit can just backfire. 

On 11/18/2018 at 2:53 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

high sierra is "okay" only. compares to the old days, it is not a stable version. 

i'm running High Sierra on a Late 2011 macbook pro.. one of the most unreliable laptops with an apple logo in the last few years. it has a ghetto at best fix for the gpu issues, it crashes when going to sleep and i have no brightness control anymore. 

despite of all that, i've never had apps crash on High Sierra. i've only had one time the OS borked itself, but i blame my gpu issue and the ghetto fix for it. also i didn't pay attention to it. i set it to update and then walked away. i clean installed the OS and then installed the same update as far as i know, and it's been fine. 

She/Her

Updated as soon as the update was available in october. Never have a single issue since then.

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk

oops, wrong thread, mods delete this :I

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

On 11/18/2018 at 9:08 PM, sof006 said:

I see the issue of installing it onto certain laptops (upgrading) still occasionally kills peoples audio drivers and a reinstall of the audio drivers after the update is required. Appears to impact realtek audio chips and/or Intel HD Audio.

I seen the same happen with HP desktops/laptops with the graphic drivers.

Funny enough even when 1809 was available last time I could not download it in Hong Kong

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'm buying a tatts ticket.  I have auto updates all set to recommended, I power cycle my pc regularly and as a result windows knows when to update so it doesn't need to force a restart.  I haven't had any of the problems I keep hearing are so common.  I think in the last 3 years I have had one restart that took a while to update when I needed the PC.   Given how the internet carries on you be forgiven for thinking everyone suffers these problems.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

I seen the same happen with HP desktops/laptops with the graphic drivers.

Yup, no good!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15