The tech industry is losing patience with Microsoft over Windows 10 updates / Re-release of Win 10 v1809 still plagued with issues

Delicieuxz
1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

proton supports too few games for me to be able to reliably test it unless i buy games it supports, so i have to look at Wine, and Wine still has a big hit. 

like i said before, i got Overwatch running in Wine which is cool, but the system i did that on has an i5 7400, 16gb of ram and a GTX 780Ti, and i had to run Overwatch on low settings to make it run at 60fps, where as on Windows it can run on high/epic settings. so... a big hit still. 

It seems the hit isnt wine, but opengl:

Linux-Wine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyh5vx1j08n8xq0/Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20181117_1939.html?dl=0

Linux native:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfqa3wn50is3rv8/Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20181117_1954.html?dl=0

Windows Native:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwmijtzd8exceks/Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20181117_1904.html?dl=0

32 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@jagdtigger it's running on DXVK, so vulkan right? or am i wrong there...?

Wine translates to opengl, proton according to what i found could do both.

/EDIT

Tried running 3dmrak with proton but no luck, guess its in beta for a reason....

Edited by jagdtigger

43 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Wine translates to opengl, proton according to what i found could do both.

/EDIT

Tried running 3dmrak with proton but no luck, guess its in beta for a reason....

Wine can translate to either, same as proton

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Finally, if you're using a Radeon HD2000 and HD4000 graphics card from AMD, you're out of luck. The new Windows build will throw out an "INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005_atidxx64.dll" error code and lock the screen.

For those that have an old card and your parents won't let you get a new one, upgrade to Windows 10 1809 and show them this error message.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This must have been a very rushed or very poorly designed update to have this many issues. For the most part, Windows 10 has been free from these major issues but right now, it’s worrying as a Windows user. 

46 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

This must have been a very rushed or very poorly designed update to have this many issues. For the most part, Windows 10 has been free from these major issues but right now, it’s worrying as a Windows user. 

Nha, every release version of Windows, new version of Service pack (depending on which version of Windows it is we are talking too), is released in waves, and has known issues, which usually fixed shortly after, and this is why most companies don't upgrade day 1, and wait, minimum, for all these known issues are fixed. And then you have blocking features. issues reported by developers to Microsoft, which Microsoft sets blocks so that the system doesn't get the update until fixed by the software companies or Microsoft (depending on the issue), and the companies don't get millions of support calls. The wave system is complex, and not just small random groups at a time. And at every push on a wave, everything is monitored. If the system detects BSODs, crash reports, etc, Microsoft investigates, find the culprit and set blocks. This is why Microsoft recommends to wait for waves, and not force updates. However Microsoft allows that, as they assume the user is competent enough to deal with the issue if any, and take advantage of the fact to get info on results of the update and see if there was yes or no problems.

If you go here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

You can see list of issues currently identified by Microsoft. Please note that the list sizes can change as things are fixed or added.

5 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Here we are again, folks. More Windows 10 bullshit! Oh, but those of us who are still on 7/8.1 are just "clingy and can't move on".

Can Adobe programs just hurry up and come to Linux? I've gotten all the games/emulators I care about running in Linux, and all of the other programs I use are running in Linux. I'm so close to switching, I've been playing with Linux more and more and damn, it's just better than Windows in every way. I'M READY.

Reveal hidden contents

Also @Delicieuxz, thanks for your bullshit free pre updated Windows 7 SP1 ISO. It's been a lot of help. No more battling Windows update for me, and the few updates I want to install, I have the offline installers. Setting up a machine has never been quicker. I just install Windows, install all the dependencies I need, drop the necessary programs on there and done.

I can haz updated windows 7 SP1 ISO? (I have to download and install a GIG of updates every time I install 7)

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

For those that have an old card and your parents won't let you get a new one, upgrade to Windows 10 1809 and show them this error message.

lmaoo. If it was my first build and I did this though, they would just never let me build again.

9 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I can haz updated windows 7 SP1 ISO? (I have to download and install a GIG of updates every time I install 7)

Here ya go.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

-In Windows Explorer, a red X appears on the mapped network drives.

-Mapped network drives are displayed as Unavailable when you run the net use command at a command prompt.

-In the notification area, a notification displays the following message: 'Could not reconnect all network drives.'

nothing new here, this has been the case since 3.11

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Nha, every release version of Windows, new version of Service pack (depending on which version of Windows it is we are talking too), is released in waves, and has known issues, which usually fixed shortly after, and this is why most companies don't upgrade day 1, and wait, minimum, for all these known issues are fixed. And then you have blocking features. issues reported by developers to Microsoft, which Microsoft sets blocks so that the system doesn't get the update until fixed by the software companies or Microsoft (depending on the issue), and the companies don't get millions of support calls. The wave system is complex, and not just small random groups at a time. And at every push on a wave, everything is monitored. If the system detects BSODs, crash reports, etc, Microsoft investigates, find the culprit and set blocks. This is why Microsoft recommends to wait for waves, and not force updates. However Microsoft allows that, as they assume the user is competent enough to deal with the issue if any, and take advantage of the fact to get info on results of the update and see if there was yes or no problems.

If you go here:

You can see list of issues currently identified by Microsoft. Please note that the list sizes can change as things are fixed or added.

I understand they can't find every possible bug since user OS and hardware configs vary, but since MS is forcing updates on Windows 10 users, pushing update waves even after its re-released more than once still having obvious issues shows they aren't doing enough QA testing. It's even more worrying when I got forced into 1809 before it was discovered that people were losing files.

35 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Yeah. It's in the link 2Buck posted. It can also be reached by using the link in my signature titled "Resources for Windows 7 including a custom telemetry-free Windows 7 ISO".

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

16 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I understand they can't find every possible bug since user OS and hardware configs vary, but since MS is forcing updates on Windows 10 users, pushing update waves even after its re-released more than once still having obvious issues shows they aren't doing enough QA testing. It's even more worrying when I got forced into 1809 before it was discovered that people were losing files.

Sounds like the average user is basically a 'test-subject' on whether the update actually works or not nowadays. And yeah, it seems like their Insider's program isn't really working as they pretend it to be. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows 10 and Windows Server is fast becoming infamous. Microsoft pulled it shortly after release when it started deleting people's files

I have to laugh at Bills efforts here with Microsofts Windows 10, it is a comedy of errors, what can the consumer do other then switch to Linux or stay with an older o/s. Its an interesting concept to switch to Linus and just use W10 in a VM.

I seem to be lucky to usually be very far behind on "the wave" with these updates, however I am assuming that at this rate something will break even if it's not a show stopper.

-------

Current Rig

-------

28 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Oh I agree! While I agree with Microsoft that every Windows PC should be fully updated, I think that, regardless of edition, you should have at least, an option to be part of some sort of Longer support ring, where those who chooses can get Windows version update a few months later. At least those who do critical work daily on their system, weather personally at home or small businesses, can at least ensure to pass over these issues at release. A bit like Insider Slow and Fast Ring, where insider can choose which ring they want to be.. but for the official version of Windows release.

So the upside is eventually everyone gets updates as Microsoft imagine, and the upside to the user is that software/driver bugs and OS bugs discovered don't affect them as they should be all fixed before.

[deleted]

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you go here: 

Interesting, they use a similar wave based system with Microsoft Insiders for Xbox. I guess the outcry from these updates have been as a result of these being abnormal for the company. Every software company has it's buggy releases, for the most part Microsoft have been exempt from this.

It comes down to people not acknowledging or crediting these companies when they meet or exceed their expectations but only criticizing when something goes wrong.

8 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Interesting

Yes it is interesting

The people who update right away are Bills test subjects, those people do not get paid. What Bill should do is iron out the bugs before it is released.

4 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Never used macOS High Sierra but I think its issues aren’t as awful as the W10 October November 2018 update am I right? @DrMacintosh @mrchow19910319

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

1809 build of Windows 10

The next time Microsoft releases it again, it’s already January 2019 but they’ll still name it Windows 10 October update. 

I wonder how does HR in Microsoft hire people?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes it is interesting 

The people who update right away are Bills test subjects, those people do not get paid. What Bill should do is iron out the bugs before it is released. 

There seems like little to no incentive to do so, unless you're a journalist or write about Windows. If their insiders were compensated financially then it would be a different story.

Not to get too off-topic but this is why I don't like to use 'Uber Eats' either, their drivers are compensated so poorly that there's nearly no incentive to drive for them.

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Never used macOS High Sierra but I think its issues aren’t as awful as the W10 October November 2018 update am I right? @DrMacintosh @mrchow19910319

high sierra is "okay" only. compares to the old days, it is not a stable version. 

but then again... apple's software and hardware had gone downhill. 

I heard someone said it in their youtube video, (and he is not a tech reviewer,he's a programmer) and he said apple's profit had gone up, but the devices they sold had gone down. he said he think that after 10 years or something like that, this apple trend is gonna die off. and I somewhat agree with him.... had a ton of OS / hardware issues with my 2017 macbook pro. and giving the price apple charges, I don't see myself spend that much money on a mac any time soon. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.