The tech industry is losing patience with Microsoft over Windows 10 updates / Re-release of Win 10 v1809 still plagued with issues

Delicieuxz
10 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yet the problem (actually a lot of problems) are time and time again big enough that we are once again talking about it...

Fact is, the 2 big update for windows 10 had issues. Those big updates are just NOT a good idea.

What i wonder is, why do they even do it like that? Look at Linux, that thing updates stupidly quick compared to windows and rarely needs a reboot.

Also, wtf is the point of the big updates? Like, most of the new stuff is basically an update of a program, can easily be done with a reinstall of that program!

New programs, just install them! No need to mess with windows, Paint 3D for example, it's just a program, install it and be done with it. Or even better, give us the option to not install it at all because who actually uses it?

There are SO many better options to handle the biggest parts of those big updates that probably makes them pointless, but nope...

That is because Linux only needs to actually reboot when there is a change to the Kernel.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

And when you do a dist-upgrade it wont reinstall stuff that you removed, not to mention it wont override your settings or revert them back to defaults.

Yeah it wont reinstall stuff, just roll a dice on what breaks in the upgrade. A lot more fun that way. 

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

hey there, what are you smoking, i want some. Now you're going to tell me the user that paid for the product could choose what options/apps to install. What a crazy idea, this guy is nuts. What's next raking the forest ?

Surprisingly, nothing :D Just having some nostalgia feeling to back when windows 98 was a big deal.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah it wont reinstall stuff, just roll a dice on what breaks in the upgrade. A lot more fun that way. 

I usually upgrade to the next LTS but it never broke the system. Even non-LTS upgrades go without a hitch...

Just now, jagdtigger said:

I usually upgrade to the next LTS but it never broke the system. Even non-LTS upgrades go without a hitch...

Not disagreeing but people take the same view on this thread on linux too. 

Linux is far from the bullet proof OS people make it out to be. Updates on linux, mainly kernal, and distro upgrades cause more problems than windows updates do. Arch is on its death bed because of this, fedora is a guessing game of will it boot or not, debian based distros upon upgrades are hit and miss with mint being the only stable OS due to them holding off on major updates. 

You dont have linux issues and I dont have windows issues even though others do on each OS. Windows is not the only one to blame

26 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Linux is far from the bullet proof OS people make it out to be. Updates on linux, mainly kernal, and distro upgrades cause more problems than windows updates do. Arch is on its death bed because of this, fedora is a guessing game of will it boot or not, debian based distros upon upgrades are hit and miss with mint being the only stable OS due to them holding off on major updates. 

Well i started with Ubuntu 8.04 on one machine so i had a few dist upgrades, Now almost all of my machines run linux and i have a few raspberry pi's too. So far none of them failed because of a update or a dist-upgrade... (7 machines in total, and the number is expected to grow as i switch over the family to linux, it will be a rough ride...)

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well i started with Ubuntu 8.04 on one machine so i had a few distup grades, Now almost all of my machines run linux and i have a few raspberry pi's too. So far none of them failed because of a update or a dist-upgrade... (7 machines in total, and the number is expected to grow as i switch over the family to linux, it will be a rough ride...)

Mint for me is my most stable linux machine. Ubuntu constantly breaks on one, debian usually breaks some application for me or GUI freaks the fuck out. Cant say I have had issues on any of my pi's but I dont really upgrade them with my use case. 

I have 3 windows machines all on 10 and a shit ton of linux boxes all over. This doesnt include work PCs either (windows and linux). For me, windows is more stable than my linux boxes. Still I am a huge fan of linux regardless 

These OS problems I will continue to say is hardware. Linux drivers dont really support the range of hardware windows does, each being its own problem. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Sounds exactly like my experience with windows 10 updates.

Ok ok, not really, with windows you just know something will be broken and being a game of hide and seek to find what exactly is broken.

You can be sure the default apps settings will be resetted after every big update because, windows...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

well it sometimes annoys me. i'll be playing a game and all of a sudden my ping gets like double, and i think it has to do with Windows downloading updates.

This is one of the reasons why ppl disabling it, its an inefficient resource hog.

The service pack update method was a lot better tested than this whole Windows 10 release concept even if the Insider Program exists. It feels like to be on an always alpha OS state.
At least on Linux you can choose between cutting edge releases and stable ones (when the system doesn't totally broke by itself or doesn't work for some reason or bug or regression in the kernel or distro) 

nevertheless to say linux breakages on stable distros are quite rare, the real problem on linux is the small quantity of distro desktop developers and bug reporters, also hardware support, you would basically have the same number of issues as windows 10 at this point 

I like this quote particularly 

Full Disclosure: I worked at M$ from 2014-2015.

MS has some very talented programmers. They're not very common, but they exist. The problem is that the entire company is completely and totally focused on developing an absurd number of new features and products, giving them completely unrealistic deadlines, and then shipping software on those deadlines no matter how half-assed or buggy it is.

The idea is that everything is serviceable over the internet now, so they can just "fix it later", except they never do. This perpetuates a duct-tape culture that refuses to actually fix problems and instead rewards teams that find ways to work around them. The talented programmers are stuck working on code that, at best, has to deal with multiple badly designed frameworks from other teams, or at worst work on code that is simply scrapped. New features are prioritized over all but the most system-critical bugs, and teams are never given any time to actually focus on improving their code. The only improvements that can happen must be snuck in while implementing new features.

As far as M$ is concerned, all code is shit, and the only thing that matters is if it works well enough to be shown at a demo and shipped. Needless to say, I don't work there anymore.

Microsoft seriously needs to rehire dedicated testers for this. Depending on a community of people to find bugs isn't reliable. Also releasing a not ready OS isn't acceptable, you might be able to get away with it if your OS isn't widely used across the globe. But when windows pretty much still dominates the market share for most used OS you simply can't keep messing up like this.

People depend on Windows to work correctly. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15