Does LTT hate Sony?

okannn_b
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

The headphone thing was because I literally just wasn't paying attention and had no idea they should be in the shoot out - had tuned out of headphones for a bit. We already have sonny's offering on order for our upcoming surface headphones video. 

As for the TVs, it's not that they aren't good. They have some great stuff in their lineup and had arguably the best HDR TV while everyone was playing catch up last year.. But we don't cover them much for the same reason we don't cover their phones. No one cares..  

They've had stand-out features like the TV with vibrating front glass for speakers, but we go to CES every year, and cover Sony every year, and every year they say "let's get things fixed this year and start working together" then they flake out.

I tried for months to get a review unit of that TV. They were also the first to get the pitch for a killer project idea I had that I think will do better than World's Most Comfortable Gaming Setup, but they sat on ass for literally months and finally rejected it.

That last one was going to be sponsored so I get it if they couldn't do it, but they've been difficult to work with in editorial content as well. 

Even those SD cards I think I mentioned in the video that by the time they arrived they weren't new anymore... ?

Edit: funnily enough I just remembered we have a sponsored piece coming up for a Sony soundbar, lol. Good product, but given that sound bars are not a hot category for standalone reviews, it's not something we would have done on our own. 

It also highlights another issue - Lots of companies handle paid media engagement totally differently from editorial and might ALSO have different teams for different product lines and regions. Sony is one of those companies that we seem to fall into the "Canadians with an American audience" black hole with. 

So for that paid engagement we are dealing with an agency for Sony US, IIRC, but normally we wouldn't. 

Hopefully all of that helps :)

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I recently had my own issues with LMG reviews, but posts like this are just so silly. It's a huge leap from "not covered" to "they hate Sony".

The news must love trump, they cover him a lot. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

As I see it, there's Apple-style issue. GoPro is market leader and innovator, rest are copying and haven't managed to put themselves at front. 

Well, for longest time their main camera's were Sony. @BRollTheIntern's still camera might still be Sony...? So the problem is Sony who are mainly following the trends, not making them.

Sony action cam was actually quite good when it comes to pure image quality stuff if remember right, at least in the hero 4 days. Correct me if I am wrong.

Brandon's  personal still camera is actually Fuji. They make great still cameras, but not as popular as Sony.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I love Sony phones and think they are way better than all others but like Linus says no one really cares about them anyway :)

So by the sound of it its the marketing department at Sony that has clearly ddropped the ball.
Shame its a good brand with good quality product. But nonsense like this will leave them in the dust. Thus they lose sales, lose quality and in the end lose outright.
So i guess RIP Sony if they dont fix that.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I personally like the non review stuff LTT does but I watch Zero of their reviews.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

At this point, I don't think any tech company can compete with Korea or China with the amount of features they can cram for the price they're asking and can do that because their profit margins will likely be the same when adjusted for the purchasing power of their local currency compared to any other country.

41 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

So by the sound of it its the marketing department at Sony that has clearly ddropped the ball.
Shame its a good brand with good quality product. But nonsense like this will leave them in the dust. Thus they lose sales, lose quality and in the end lose outright.
So i guess RIP Sony if they dont fix that.

Sony is likely banking on the fact that its brand was a household name so when you see a Sony product, you instantly go "that's something worth considering."

9 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

LTT lives from sponsoring and paid advertising

That in turn skews ltt "reviews"

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

That in turn skews ltt "reviews"

Not always. You can get compensated for a review and still be impartial. I can do it, you can do it, LTT can do it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

At this point, I don't think any tech company can compete with Korea or China with the amount of features they can cram for the price they're asking and can do that because their profit margins will likely be the same when adjusted for the purchasing power of their local currency compared to any other country.

Sony is likely banking on the fact that its brand was a household name so when you see a Sony product, you instantly go "that's something worth considering."

It used to be. Now its more like "i remember when sony made stuff in Japan and didnt have an sjw agenda". Those were the days.

Bottom line is all that matters, shaving cents to make stock prices go up and pay the execs a huge sum and pay the lemmings nothing.

@LinusTech Thanks for caring. I just like hearing your experince and opinions on stuff and those stuff i mentioned were being ignored at the time. What i want to make clear is i know people did not care about Sony or their products and well i also don't care about them. What i care about is when there is a pair of headphones out from Sony that some claim are better at active noise-cancelling than QC35s, i would of course want you to AT LEAST cover them in the video that you made for QC35s active noise-cancellation. Love your work have a great day.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, GoodBytes said:

VAIO budget laptops where very poorly made, where they often cracked, and had poor cooling, like Dell really inexpensive systems, and people associated Sony/Dell with cheap quality.

Any particular model or era? I was bought a low end VAIO laptop in 2011 and it is still running strong. No cracks, nothing significant has ever failed and even the Microsoft and Intel stickers are still intact. It carries a good show of scratches and is missing some rubber feet from being hauled around school, college, university and now to work. Its only ailment is a dodgy screen connection inflicted by myself. I upgraded from an i3-2310M to an i7-2720QM (further specs in my signature) and cooling is passable for a CPU it was never designed to accomodate.

I've always known Sony products to be of good quality and long lasting from the PS2, an old Hi-Fi system to one of their cameras, a TV and their ZX770BN headphones. I've always found Sony a bit dull as a brand and I think that's why they've fallen by the wayside. Perhaps Sony products are simply overlooked for their poor marketing and PR which in the case of TVs is below par compared to that of LG and Samsung.

It would be interesting to see someone compare how the new gen VAIOs fair against those of the Sony era.

I also have one of those awful Vista era HP laptops. Insufficient hardware at the time but with Vista speed patches and 2.5GB RAM they wouldn't have been that bad and cooling is very good. Only laptops I've known to have abysmal cooling are Toshiba where the heat sync literally rests on the plastic casing and the fan ran so hot the plastic vent went brittle and disintegrated.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home

6 hours ago, geo3 said:

I hope they do hate Sony. Everyone should hate the company that intentionally installed rootkits on their customers PC's

I think a lot of people forget how far Sony has fallen in the 2000s. I have 2 old Bravias but i wont ever buy anything sony again.

@okannn_b happy? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I have a old Sony LCD TV and Ive had it since 2008 and it still works.

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

On 11/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, okannn_b said:

-When they talk about TVs they keep ignoring the Sony TVs which many reviewers and sites claim that they are the best of the best when it comes to picture quality.
-When they were talking about active noise-cancellation they ignored Sony X1000 series headphones which are a pair of headphones that some say are better than QC35s at active n-c and sound quality.
-When they were talking about GoPro Hero 4 they ignored Sony's action cam options at the time which were better than Hero 4s for sure.

I actually don't know why they did not cover Sony these sony products. Sony products considered the best by many and they are kept in spotlight by many when it comes talking about the best consumer electronics, TVs, headphones etc. I would really appriciate if they do cover them when needed, not because i personally enjoy or like sony products or anything like that but because they deserve to be included in the conversation if LTT is trying to cover and compare the best products for the people.

They just did a video sponsored by sony

On 11/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, ARikozuM said:

Not always. You can get compensated for a review and still be impartial. I can do it, you can do it, LTT can do it. 

Just like how politicians can accept donations from big corporations for their election campaigns and remain impartial once they're in office right?