SSDs as low as 0.08$ per gb in 2019?

Nicnac

@leadeater did you get to see NETINT's new drives they announced? They come in AIC or U.2. I'm not in media creation but I'm curious about the actual benefits of them having H264/H265 encoders on chip.

A ton of tech people are data hordes They will always need Storage far more then anything. More and more video makes and streamers and creatives.

Besides there are Nand cycles when they are short supplied they go up and down. Truth to be told a lot of people should be going to buy as much as they need for several years if they can

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

@leadeater did you get to see NETINT's new drives they announced? They come in AIC or U.2. I'm not in media creation but I'm curious about the actual benefits of them having H264/H265 encoders on chip.

Hmm, not keen on that. I'd rather process that type of data myself in the exact way I want it.

I can see price drops like this really benefiting amateur/first-time PC builders.

But the kick to the shins will still come from the added costs coming in on high RAM prices. Aren't those expected to rise through 2019?

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hmm, not keen on that. I'd rather process that type of data myself in the exact way I want it.

That was my thought as well. I suppose you don't have to use it though.

Sounds good, now do the same for ram please. I want to upgrade to 16GB without having to sacrifice a lamb.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

14 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

expect minimum capacity to go up and prices to stay the same for the low end. You can currently get a ~120GB SSD for about 25-27$ and a 240-256 for about 35-37, eventually it will be that the 240 will be 25$ (or higher) and it will be the lowest capacity available.

Exactly.  I'm actually kinda surprised 120GB SSDs are even still around, as I remember 64GB drives dying off quite quickly once 250 was becoming mainstream. I'm not complaining since Ive actually used 128GB drives for repairing old machines, or things that really do not need storage, since they tend to be cheaper then HDDs. (And everyone always notices and are amazed how much faster the machine feels.)

Can't wait for 1TB drives to be under $100.
I have stuck to my word that when 500GB  SSD < $100 USD, I would always build systems with an SSD as the primary drive, HDDs are request only.
But Im still a little wary with people who aren't tech savy in the slightest, since I don't know if they would understand how to use a system with multiple drives.
1TB of storage is that point where I feel like the average person would have a hard time coming close to filling it up.

I mean I work with a guy who proudly has +800 GB with of stuff on his desktop, and refuses to put things in the documents folder, or music folder, and make shortcuts to those on the desktop. (You think I am kidding!?) - .OK that photo isn't up to date I don't have a photo from the last time I had to "tune up" this guys machine because he claimed it was getting slow.

15 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

Still expensive compare to HDD.

Because its SSD is higher performance storage solution. U can expect to go to car dealership and pay same price for Bugati Veyron as you would for Fiat and say "but they are both just cars for transportation"

@captain_to_fire unrealistic expectations. I havent even read the article because I already know none of the reputable brands ((mainly Samsung) will not hit $0.08 for normal SSD let alone NVME which is a step up from SSD.

Only the cheapest of the cheap SSDs with the worst possible quality will be $0.08 as mentioned.

I built my PC 4 years ago and the ssd I bought has still the same price as when I bought it....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

14 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

i dont even want cheap memory- I just want it back to where it WAS. SSDs are cheaper than ever, I just want memory back to where it WAS ffs 

Remembering the good old days (2016) when RAM was more like $60 for a 16GB kit....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I'm very glad for this. I'm fine with 256GB for boot drive. Next drive is gonna be 1TB and lower prices in time will be sweet. Hopefully come down for all, not just QLC or TLC though. Mainly into MLC myself. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

46 minutes ago, Thony said:

I built my PC 4 years ago and the ssd I bought has still the same price as when I bought it....

Unless that SSD is still the latest model... dont go by it's price. Old model SSDs for whatever reason stay at the same price, probably because nobody ever updates their pricing.

When the 860 Evo/Pro was first coming out, the 840Pro was still available from Newegg, Amazon themselves, and were notably higher priced then their 850 counterparts, and now 3rd parties are selling the 256GB 840Pro SSD for $300.
Today the same sort of thing is happening with the 850 line. The 1TB 850 Evo on amazon is twice the price as the 1TB 860 Evo. - but thats from a 3rd party...
I don't remember the exact price back when amazon sold it themselves but I do recall I think about a year or two ago, the 500GB 850 Evo was $20 more then the 860 Evo.... 

16 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

1 tb ssd for about a 100€ yes plz ?

You can already get an 1tb ssd for 140€ shipped, so 100€ doesn't sound that far off even.

https://www.amazon.de/Crucial-MX500-CT1000MX500SSD1-Internes-NAND/dp/B077SF8KMG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1541429073&amp;sr=8-4&amp;keywords=1tb+ssd

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Arokhantos said:

Ehw crucial i had a mx300 with barely any life used every time i played game installed on mx300 my PC would hard freeze cos apm kicked in and put sata controller to sleep something the later patched out however it would still freeze if another drive shared same sata controller that had apm feature.

Samsung for just a bit more: As far as i know samsung ssds are the golden standard for ssds.

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-76E1T0B-EU-interne-schwarz/dp/B078WST5RK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1541431765&amp;sr=8-3&amp;keywords=1tb+ssd

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

Exactly.  I'm actually kinda surprised 120GB SSDs are even still around, as I remember 64GB drives dying off quite quickly once 250 was becoming mainstream. I'm not complaining since Ive actually used 128GB drives for repairing old machines, or things that really do not need storage, since they tend to be cheaper then HDDs. (And everyone always notices and are amazed how much faster the machine feels.)

Can't wait for 1TB drives to be under $100.
I have stuck to my word that when 500GB  SSD < $100 USD, I would always build systems with an SSD as the primary drive, HDDs are request only.
But Im still a little wary with people who aren't tech savy in the slightest, since I don't know if they would understand how to use a system with multiple drives.
1TB of storage is that point where I feel like the average person would have a hard time coming close to filling it up.

I mean I work with a guy who proudly has +800 GB with of stuff on his desktop, and refuses to put things in the documents folder, or music folder, and make shortcuts to those on the desktop. (You think I am kidding!?) - .OK that photo isn't up to date I don't have a photo from the last time I had to "tune up" this guys machine because he claimed it was getting slow.

Yeah I built a second build recently and just got a 1tb 860evo for around 160 and called it a day. No need to get an hhd as I don't plan on keeping a ton of things on my computer. I an thinking about adding a larger ssd later on for more mass storage if I do find the need to store more things on my computer. 

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's probably just the raw NAND chip cost from suppliers, need to add on SSD controller + DRAM + markup.

In that case we're already at that point. You can get SSDs priced at $0.12 per GB, once you subtract those things there probably isn't even $0.08 left for the NAND.

What about M.2 NVME x4 driver? they are about 2x more expensive, SATA is dead for me and i want nothing to do with it.

With the advent of higher capacity SSD's and better controllers each generation, M.2 is a must if you want performance and i do want.

I have a board with 2x M.2 and i want equal price m.2 drives for the same capacity period.

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

What about M.2 NVME x4 driver? they are about 2x more expensive, SATA is dead for me and i want nothing to do with it.

With the advent of higher capacity SSD's and better controllers each generation, M.2 is a must if you want performance and i do want.

I have a board with 2x M.2 and i want equal price m.2 drives for the same capacity period.

M.2 is just a form factor which exposes 2x or 4x PCIe 3.0, 1x SATA 3.0 port or even USB 3.0. It supports legacy SATA, SATA Express through AHCI, and SATA E/NVMe. 

You could use U.2 and achieve the same speeds without taking up as much space on the motherboard. Although U.2 is slowly being adopted more as NVMe and PCIe devices become more common.

NVMe controllers will be what increases the price for all NVMe drives versus SATA drives, rather than the actual NAND flash chips themselves. If they can get the controllers cheaper it'll help drop the price of NVMe drives.

14 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Samsung for just a bit more: As far as i know samsung ssds are the golden standard for ssds.

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-76E1T0B-EU-interne-schwarz/dp/B078WST5RK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1541431765&amp;sr=8-3&amp;keywords=1tb+ssd

Sammy's are all I'll use.

5 hours ago, yian88 said:

SATA will be around for a long time, even if only for HDD users. HDDs are still king for massive amounts of data storage and the capacities of HDDs keep increasing at the same rate SSD capacities are increasing. SATA and SAS are the protocols of choice for HDDs.

Sadly MOBO manufacturers have been decreasing the number of SATA ports available since X99 in favor of NVMe M.2 and U.2. One M.2 NVMe port is plenty for me since that's all I need for a boot drive but, for storage, I need SATA ports. I also need them for the hot swap bays I use for backups and for at least one ODD (yes, I still use them; the quality of music on CDs and of movies on DVDs and BDs is much better than what one can get from downloads and CDs, DVDs, and BDs are often less expensive).

Of course, not everyone will have the need for massive amounts of storage and those that do not may benefit from faster ports, especially if they routinely move large amounts of data around. However, manufacturers should keep in mind that people still have a need for large numbers of SATA ports and don't need all their storage to be any faster than 6Gbps

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

SSD prices have already kind of crashed. I just bought a 1tb 3DNAND SATA SSD for 150 Canadian Rupees(like $120 USD?) BNIB last week from Canada Computers. 2 years ago I paid over 300 with taxes for that. It's only ~550 reads/writes. Nothing crazy, but its cheap mass storage for my steam library so why not. I don't need 3gb/s reads and writes for gaming. Already have a 960 evo for OS drive.