AMD might announce their new CPU lineup on Tuesday

IAmAndre

That's a lot of damage!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Lets be honest, when intel dropped that 48C frankenchip we knew this was going to be big...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Their stock went down even further after the demo.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Cray benchmark:

One socket Rome scored 28.1 seconds (air-cooled, stock, not final frequency)

Two Xeon 8180Ms scored 30.2 seconds

Rome_preview.png.0db2bfba40b68c432eed02111329c9bd.png

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

considering how dense dual socket cpus can be made, this will mean amd can provide double the performance per server 

ineresting note that dual socket cascade lake wouldnt compare to good to this either

having the memory controller separate can relieve the memory speed dependency on ryzen?

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-next-horizon-event-live-coverage/

If you read our AMD EPYC or Intel Xeon benchmarks, we often use c-ray, and have been doing so for years. C-ray is an extremely favorable benchmark for AMD’s Zen architectures over Intel Xeon architectures. Please keep that in mind. Still, this is an impressive result!

Just as a way of note.

with extra avx performance and the 7nm class power consumption, intel is in trouble, i bet this might explain at least partly why epyc 1 wasn't selling as much as expected, i would totally wait a half a year to get 2 times the performance 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

20181106_174654_HDR_575px.jpg

So is it really a 7nm processor if it still has 14nm components? ?

Yes. Moving things off-die doesn't mean it's no longer a CPU. Otherwise you could probably argue that they weren't really CPUs when the Northbridge was still off-die. This is simply multi die.

Besides, Intel is working on the same thing.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

20181106_174654_HDR_575px.jpg

So is it really a 7nm processor if it still has 14nm components? ?

Lisa actually mentioned it. I/O doesn't scale down. It's why everyone has been looking at Chiplets for so long. Most of the die could probably be done at 22nm without issue, if AMD had access to a fab with it. But, to save even more money, they can reuse their designs from Zen1 without much issue, plus iterations upon that work. 

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Lisa actually mentioned it. I/O doesn't scale down. It's why everyone has been looking at Chiplets for so long. Most of the die could probably be done at 22nm without issue, if AMD had access to a fab with it. But, to save even more money, they can reuse their designs from Zen1 without much issue, plus iterations upon that work. 

Most of the reasons why companies are pursuing chiplet technology is more for the cost savings going modular.

I don't see a reason why I/O doesn't scale down that makes it extraordinarily hard to shrink it when the CPUs are doing just fine. If anything it looks more like they're opting to use a larger node size because it's a mature manufacturing process and the part doesn't really need the benefits a smaller transistor size would provide.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Most of the reasons why companies are pursuing chiplet technology is more for the cost savings going modular.

I don't see a reason why I/O doesn't scale down that makes it extraordinarily hard to shrink it when the CPUs are doing just fine. If anything it looks more like they're opting to use a larger node size because it's a mature manufacturing process and the part doesn't really need the benefits a smaller transistor size would provide.

I think they mean it doesnt really help performance all that much if they did shrink it 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I think they mean it doesnt really help performance all that much if they did shrink it 

Most of the I/O doesn't gain anything from the shrink, so it takes up space and increases failures in the manufacturing process. It is amazing to see it actually at the production level. It's really quite something.

In other news, I'm guessing Milan (Zen3) won't have DDR5. Unless the Milan I/O die is getting both DDR4 & DDR5 controllers. That socket compatibility aspect really has surprised me, but I guess AMD expects a lot of the market to not need all of the PCIe lanes and 4.0 lanes require different trace approaches.

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

All it would do is lower the power consumption. If it's low enough already, then there's probably no point in spending the money to get those dies shrunk.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

All it would do is lower the power consumption. If it's low enough already, then there's probably no point in spending the money to get those dies shrunk.

Yup. Plus, Chiplets really help total frequency, yield and Time-to-market.

Thinking about the Chiplet approach, now that we can see it, AMD can run their entire product stack by simply making different 14nm parts. Looks pretty straight forward how they're going to manage the WSA now, haha.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-new-horizon-7nm-cpu,38029.html

AMD Announces 64-Core 7nm Rome CPUs, 7nm MI60 GPUs, And Zen 4. 

"If AMD can field 7nm processors early this year, it will mark the first time in the company's history that it has had a process node leadership position over Intel. That should equate to faster, denser, and less power-hungry processors than Intel's 14nm chips."

I guess I should have bought AMD when it was down around $17 per share only a a couple weeks back. 

more live stream

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Sounds good, but how long do mortals have to wait for the consumer versions?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible