Samsung & Apple are fined by Italian authorities for building planned obsolescence into phones

Master Disaster
1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Suggestion, use ADB and uninstall bloatware, no root needed. 

Yeah I know, I don't really mess with her phone, just shared a opinion. But thanks for the tip !
My niece has S8 too and her phone is sluggish too, but she downloads a lot of stuff (she is 15) I guess the user is what's the problem not the phone.

13 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

This isn't necessarily Samsung/Apple slowing down phones, it is that when they release new OS versions they are more power hungry so therefore slower phones... perform slower... it's not rocket science.

While true for the most part, modern smartphones pack so much power in their processors to the point where they should be able to handle newer versions of an operating system without much issue and supported for longer.

And yet, Android OEMs still insist on a 2-3 year update cycle.....

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

While true for the most part, modern smartphones pack so much power in their processors to the point where they should be able to handle newer versions of an operating system without much issue and supported for longer.

And yet, Android OEMs still insist on a 2-3 year update cycle.....

I recently flashed my Dad's HTC One M7 with Lineage OS 15.1 based on Oreo and it runs better now than it did with the stock HTC firmware, considerably better.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I recently flashed my Dad's HTC One M7 with Lineage OS 15.1 based on Oreo and it runs better now than it did with the stock HTC firmware, considerably better.

I had my M7 at 7.1.1, but I downgraded to 5.0.2 with Sense only because of nostalgia.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

ok so to clarify are we referring to the samsung expeience updates slowing phones or Android itself? If android is the problem, I wouldn't think Samsung would be getting fined

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Mostly yes. In the last year Apple did intentionally throttle performance (albeit, planned obsolescence doesn't fit the bill since they didn't throttle the Plus models) in order to prevent random shutdowns due to a degraded battery and didn't inform users.

They could've told them.

While yes it would throw a bit of a dark cloud over their imago, I'd say this is a lot worse.

What they did was right, the way they did it wasn't.

Personally I think they should've

• Let us know they'd slow our phones down
  • Give us the option to disable it if we so please
  • Not be mysterious for once, Apple .. computers & phones aren't magical boxes fueled by the finest fairy dust
    They are calculators having a serious mid-life crisis yes I find that a funny comparison

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

47 minutes ago, SADS said:

I'm on iPhoneX 1st gen, and im already noticing that its not as snappy as I would like it to be, or was in the past.

Just a few minutes ago I opened up 'settings' and it took a good few seconds of blank screen before it loaded.

This isn't acceptable for a flagship model. Regardless of 'battery preservation' etc.

Then just update to iOS 12?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

45 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Sounds like something else is going on on your phone (specifically whatever you've downloaded to it) -- my X is still just as fast as day 1.

The only thing I've noticed is that starting with 12.0.1 FaceID has been having a lot of trouble.

I could try a reboot... in an attempt to not turn the thread into tech support!

but i still 'feel' like its not as fast... could just be "ocean madness".

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then just update to iOS 12?

confused with this one. its already on the latest version.

Had me until:

The companies encouraged users to upgrade operating system software but did not make clear the increased demands that new software would make -

This can easily be applied to anything like someone trying to install Windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo machine with little ram or expecting high frames from a AAA title using Intel potato graphics.

More demanding software needs the hardware to pull it off. It shouldn't take hand holding to figure out the obvious.

4 minutes ago, SADS said:

confused with this one. its already on the latest version.

Then you might want to perform a DFU recovery through iTunes on Mac/PC to clean install the OS

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'm interested to see exactly how they've come to the conclusion that Samsung slowed down their phones with updates.

I can't speak for everyone but my Note8 still performs well, being mostly identical to its first few days of use performance-wise.

Regarding the Note 4, was it the Lollipop 5.0.2 update? If so, you can't blame Samsung entirely.

It might be specific to some devices, hence the smaller fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Then you might want to perform a DFU recovery through iTunes on Mac/PC to clean install the OS

It might blow your mind to know that I have used the same 'install' as when I first got an iPhone 4 (or maybe 5).

Every time I get a new phone, I just plug it into the PC and restore from my previous phones backup, since the generation mentioned above. I use the term install loosely to get the picture across. Probably not the optimal practice, but I don't really like to lose anything from my old phone and don't use cloud storage for my personal stuff. Plus if the system allows it.... :P

49 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Had me until:

This can easily be applied to anything like someone trying to install Windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo machine with little ram or expecting high frames from a AAA title using Intel potato graphics.

More demanding software needs the hardware to pull it off. It shouldn't take hand holding to figure out the obvious.

Except it wasn't more demanding at all (in the case of Apple). They openly admitted they were software throttling on phones with old batteries.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

should have fined them in the billions, this is pocket change for them and won't deter them from repeating the same offence 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

How bout they fine LG too? Recent updates wreck my performance on the device at times

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

How bout they fine LG too? Recent updates wreck my performance on the device at times

Why don't they fine Motorola too? 

Nougat made my old Moto Z nearly unusable as it would thermal throttle like crazy. 

To the point where going home from the camera takes 5 seconds 

3 hours ago, voiha said:

Samsung's experience on top is already slow enough, they don't need to further do it.

can't be further from the truth. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

This isn't necessarily Samsung/Apple slowing down phones, it is that when they release new OS versions they are more power hungry so therefore slower phones... perform slower... it's not rocket science.

I’ve come across this a lot on Quora where a new iOS performs a lot slower on their phones - unless as in iOS12 they get a speed bump.

older technology just can not accommodate firmware that would be built in the future - technology increases in performance as such. 

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

older technology just can not accommodate firmware that would be built in the future

That was the bane of the iPhone 4s, SoC performance really exploded after 2012

Impossible, I have it on good authority that android updates only make it to 5% of users.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Interesting. Just yesterday I found out that Samsung S line, even the S4, have been getting software, not OS, updates for 4-5 years. S6 is still getting them. It is weird they would slow them down after all that trouble of providing updates for so long that I don't know any other OEM does. That costs money after all.

A few months back, I finally got the Android 8.0 update on my S7 Active.  Afterwards, I was getting alerts to update my Galaxy Apps, but they refused to update unless I granted it full permissions.  That's for every single app, so if even a single one wasn't allowed access to my camera/microphone/phone/contacts/etc, then the update wouldn't proceed.

I still haven't updated them because of that.  I don't see a reason to give 'e-mail' (for example) access to my phone or camera, unless I choose to grant it temporarily for a specific purpose.

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'm interested to see exactly how they've come to the conclusion that Samsung slowed down their phones with updates.

From my experience, performance goes to shit when there's a version update to Android, and Samsung can't always fix Google's fuck ups all that fast. Sometimes, they simply can't restore the prior perfirmance, like the Note 4 running Android Power Virus Lollipop.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Why don't they fine Motorola too? 

Nougat made my old Moto Z nearly unusable as it would thermal throttle like crazy. 

To the point where going home from the camera takes 5 seconds 

That's more of Android update gone wrong type of situation as the Dev team hasn't optimized the android for the phone. That's relevant in nearly all device models after update.
My old Alcatel Idol 3 from 2015 after the 5.1 Update started heating itself and overall felt sluggish, had to wait 1 to 2 full seconds for the camera to snap something.. I know the pain :X