191 members have voted

1. 1. Facebook Use

• Use it for news
    • Use frequently
    • Use occasionally
    • Use Rarely/have but don't use
    • Don't have

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

If their ideology was the one being stepped on you can be sure theyd be lighting cars on fire, beating people with bike locks or pounding on the doors of buildings while screaming pointlessly to the sky.

Not really. As bad as FB is, it's their company / product. They can do w/e the hell they want with it (within w/e legal boundaries *haha cough cough*) and as said above, if you don't like it, you know where that logout/deactivate account button is ......

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

10 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Not really. As bad as FB is, it's their company / product. They can do w/e the hell they want with it (within w/e legal boundaries *haha cough cough*) and as said above, if you don't like it, you know where that logout/deactivate account button is ......

Facebook is for morons. I dont use it or have it.

1 hour ago, Noctus said:

if you don't like it...

I can make my job and social life harder, to no effect, because the fad-driven moron market decided upon facebook before I even knew what it was, and facebook is a proprietary platform which doesn't use open protocols or play nice with alternative services.

Oh let me guess: if my job uses FB, I can just quit my job. Right? Hyuk hyuk hyuk. Srs Internet discussion.

Doesn't matter how essential or ubiquitous something becomes, doesn't matter how little practical choice the average person has, their "right" to run "their business" like jackarses is unassailable.

Yet further evidence that these companies have far more power than they should.

Sooner or later they are either going to have to be held to some kind of ethical standard, or they're going to have to be broken up to reduce their monopolies.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

15 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yet further evidence that these companies have far more power than they should.

Sooner or later they are either going to have to be held to some kind of ethical standard, or they're going to have to be broken up to reduce their monopolies.

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think it's that easy.

On a surface level, non of the social media sites have a monopoly. You're free to use (ot not use) any social media site you want, and using one does not exclude you from the others. You could even create your own social media platform. One that adheres soley to your ideology, standards and ideals.  

However, it could be argued that all of these platforms have essentially created a kind of cartel, since their respective terms of service are pretty much just copy/paste jobs of one another.

Which is propably best exemplified  in the recent debacle involving InfoWars being collectivly banned from Facebook, iTunes, Spotify and YouTube in a span of 72 hours. 

But such a case has, to my knowledge, not been tried in an American court of law. 

This is, of course, not helped by the terms of service being written in the vague language of law, but lacking the judicial oversight, expertise and public transparency of an actual court. 

As for ethical standards, that would just pass the buck. 

Social media companies do have ethical standards (both written and unwritten), so creating some sort of ethical board, for example, would just pass the duty of interpretation of the standards from the company to an external board. 

And then we would have the issue of wheather such a board should be subject to a public vote or be seated by technocrats. Both models having certain distinct issues. 

The same problem would arise if the government was to create a publically funded, public service social media site.

Even the debate on whether to control social media as a public utility is kinda missing the mark. 

The model of public utilities doesn't really fit, since the whole model of consumer, product and distributer is flipped on its head in the case of social media.

As much as we might not like it, we are Facebook's product, so refusing groups and individuals access is less like throwing someone out of a business than it is rooting out your inventory.

If Walmart has a product that doesn't sell, they will remove it from their shelfs. As will Facebook remove elements that aren't favorable to their advertisers.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

18 hours ago, Aetheria said:

See: giving the appearance of offering a solution, without offering a solution. Just create your own sprawl of web services, friends, and family, easy. Internet discourse 101.

Nothing worth doing is easy. That doesn't mean we should choose an easier route. There are plenty of other ways to keep in touch with people and when the need for something is strong enough someone will create to fulfill that need. I mean you think you are entitled to Facebook and their platform? They spent their life creating this platform and it wasn't easy. Why does anyone get a say as to what they do with it now after they spent so much effort creating it. If you had spent all that time and effort creating something like you would probably want control of what you do with it. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Nothing worth doing is easy. That doesn't mean we should choose an easier route. There are plenty of other ways to keep in touch with people and when the need for something is strong enough someone will create to fulfill that need. I mean you think you are entitled to Facebook and their platform? They spent their life creating this platform and it wasn't easy. Why does anyone get a say as to what they do with it now after they spent so much effort creating it. If you had spent all that time and effort creating something like you would probably want control of what you do with it. 

Yep,  I can easily keep in touch using skype or instagram PM or just send emails back and forth.  Hell you can even pickup a phone and call or text.  FB is not the only method. In fact with all the shit you get thrown in your feed it would probably be easier to just send an email.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Facebook is for morons. I dont use it or have it.

So what you bitching about? You sound like an old man complaining about the price of the milk you don't drink.

21 hours ago, Aetheria said:

I can make my job and social life harder, to no effect, because the fad-driven moron market decided upon facebook before I even knew what it was, and facebook is a proprietary platform which doesn't use open protocols or play nice with alternative services.

Oh let me guess: if my job uses FB, I can just quit my job. Right? Hyuk hyuk hyuk. Srs Internet discussion.

Doesn't matter how essential or ubiquitous something becomes, doesn't matter how little practical choice the average person has, their "right" to run "their business" like jackarses is unassailable.

No you just suck it the fuck up or yes, quit and go find another.... Or suggest a better option backed up by figures and research if it REALLY annoys you in unfathomable ways. Regardless of morality or how integrated that product is within daily lives, if they can legally be cunts with that product and decide to be cunts, guess what cupcake.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I'm basically forced to use it, because no one in my circle is willing to move to a different platform.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

43 minutes ago, Noctus said:

So what you bitching about? You sound like an old man complaining about the price of the milk you don't drink.

No you just suck it the fuck up or yes, quit and go find another.... Or suggest a better option backed up by figures and research if it REALLY annoys you in unfathomable ways. Regardless of morality or how integrated that product is within daily lives, if they can legally be cunts with that product and decide to be cunts, guess what cupcake.

Wow such hostility. Sounds like you have a lack of power and control in your own life and you enjoy the schadenfreude of people of different ideologies being screwed over as a result.

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Wow such hostility. Sounds like you have a lack of power and control in your own life and you enjoy the schadenfreude of people of different ideologies being screwed over as a result.

A lack of power and control because i point out it doesn't matter what ideologies you have, they can still do w/e the hell they want?

Yeah okay, keep living in your bubble.

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean you think you are entitled to Facebook and their platform?

I think I am entitled to not use it without it making me a social pariah or giving me a reputation as the difficult guy at work. When those options aren't on the table and all you have to offer is platitudes about how the market is going to magically solve the issue at some unspecified point in the future, then I'm entitled to expect that the service I've been strong-armed in to using is run reasonably.

3 hours ago, Noctus said:

Well... you're a piece of garbage, thank you for clearing that up, aaand we're done here.

29 minutes ago, Aetheria said:

I think I am entitled to not use it without it making me a social pariah or giving me a reputation as the difficult guy at work. When those options aren't on the table and all you have to offer is platitudes about how the market is going to magically solve the issue at some unspecified point in the future, then I'm entitled to expect that the service I've been strong-armed in to using is run reasonably.

Well... you're a piece of garbage, thank you for clearing that up, aaand we're done here.

Truth hurts, aye? If it's an integral or highly used function of your work, be an adult and suck it up or change jobs. Or like i said, suggest a better alternative. You are welcome to expect w/e the hell you like, but until you are the one making the big decisions to use/not use it or have enough clout to influence FB to change policies that suit your work needs, i welcome you as the social pariah and the difficult guy at work. Adapt and change, move on or sit and stew. It's on you, not them to change.

57 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Truth hurts, aye? If it's an integral or highly used function of your work, be an adult and suck it up or change jobs. Or like i said, suggest a better alternative. You are welcome to expect w/e the hell you like, but until you are the one making the big decisions to use/not use it or have enough clout to influence FB to change policies that suit your work needs, i welcome you as the social pariah and the difficult guy at work. Adapt and change, move on or sit and stew. It's on you, not them to change.

FB and Google are basically half government half private, so its really not that simple. 

i use facebook mainly to keep in touch with family and friends since most are long distance...thanks to pop up and ad blockers i dont get any ads and crap....i just cant stand fb deciding what i can or cant see from my friends. literally...a friend posts, and only a comment or 2 will show up the rest (has been removed because not relevant) or it wont show me any recent posts..i will see it load and poof gone, and crap from last week shows up

2 hours ago, Aetheria said:

I think I am entitled to not use it without it making me a social pariah or giving me a reputation as the difficult guy at work.

If your employer requires it, then no, you are not "entitled to not use it".  You may desire not to use it, you may despise being forced to use it but that doesn't equate to an entitlement.  As @Noctus wrote, if you don't like it, start looking for another job where they don't require using FB.  Otherwise, suck it up and deal with it.

6 hours ago, Aetheria said:

I have no idea where you work but that sounds like a toxic environment. That sounds like a personal issue and not one that is Facebook's fault. You aren't entitled to it regardless of you perception that you need it. Also in your case you are just having one for the sake of appearances so why would it even matter how it's run?

8 hours ago, Aetheria said:

You know it's possible to have a FB account that you use only for work and put in only the information required to do so.  I have yet to see any company enforce such that you put your personal details on a public third party platform,  let alone that that kind of imposition is illegal in most countries.

Now I don't like facebook anymore than the next man, but lets be honest, if your work is forcing you to use a third party data hoarding company they cannot control, then I would like to see the evidence.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm just gonna put this here. 

https://www.minds.com/login

I have been enjoying this platform as an alternative to facebook.  Allows anon profiles no requirement for personal info aside from email to register, end to end encrypted messenger, and boosting of content.  All inclusive with a video uploader, blogging functionality, groups etc.  App is also available on iOS and Google Play. 

6 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I'm just gonna put this here. 

https://www.minds.com/login

I have been enjoying this platform as an alternative to facebook.  Allows anon profiles no requirement for personal info aside from email to register, end to end encrypted messenger, and boosting of content.  All inclusive with a video uploader, blogging functionality, groups etc.  App is also available on iOS and Google Play. 

This one is better

Spoiler

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I mainly use Facebook as a photo holder. Post pictures of my dog and talk to other Bedlington Terrier owners.