Core I9 9900K gets listed on Amazon for $582.50

Master Disaster

f44685da-edc7-4a95-b497-6439b2fbcb27.jpg

Another leak seems to have occurred while we await the launch of the top-end Intel Core 9000 Series (Coffee Lake Refresh) processors. In September we saw a Singaporean retailer leak prices for a quartet of 9000 Series processors, including the top end Intel Core i9-9900K (8 Core / 16 Thread) at SGD666 (approx £370/US$480). The retailer price list was a good early indication of pricing, but now Amazon US has uploaded its product page for the Intel Core i9-9900K which includes pricing, base specifications, and pictures.

It seems as though the listing has since been hidden/removed however

It appears that the first person to spot the new Amazon.com listing was a Twitter user by the name of Momomo_us. In this picture you can clearly see the processor packaging, and the key tech specs of the product, plus the all-important pricing. The retail listing, which seems to have its title truncated in all the screenshots, has been independently unearthed by Tom's Hardware's Paul Alcorn after "a bit of digging". I've had a nose around the Amazon US site but can't find the product listed at the time of writing - can any HEXUS reader locate it?

Check out the new packaging though, seems like the Threadripper trend is catching on.

b63163c2-8892-4c8a-bf2d-fea0c63e5447.jpg

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/122729-intel-core-i9-9900k-listed-amazon-us-58250/

$583 seems like a lot to me, am I wrong or did the 8700K launch at around $450? I guess that packaging must be worth more than it looks like.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oh yes I do have a question. Will the i9 9900K not be susceptible to the Spectre / Meltdown exploit since it's a new CPU ?

There will be still vulnerabilities but most of them should be fixed. 

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

The thing is, I know that there are Windows 10 updates that have 'patched' the issue but at the cost of CPU performance - I was wondering if the i9 9900K would be exempt from these patches that slow down the CPU?

Not afaik, you'll have to wait for a new architecture for that (this is still CL-based).

4 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I know that there are Windows 10 updates that have 'patched' the issue but at the cost of CPU performance

there is no meaningful impact to regular workloads that a consumer would feel, it is mostly in the server and virtualization space.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Still, it sucks to buy the latest and greatest and then not really get what you'd expect because there is some layer of software toothpaste (see what I did here? :D ) smeared in between...

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

Yikes that's a shame, how about AMD CPUs?

AMD is fine for the most part. There are some vulnerabilities that need root or physical access in the first place so that's not really a big issue

So it's an overclocked 7820x with dual channel memory?

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

$583 seems like a lot to me, am I wrong or did the 8700K launch at around $450? I guess that packaging must be worth more than it looks like.

is it just me or this packaging thing is out of control. Not really something i would buy anyway but i sure would prefer a cheaper plain card box version. 

On the up side it's good business for the useless box making industry. I blame the "youtube unpackers"

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

is it just me or this packaging thing is out of control. Not really something i would buy anyway but i sure would prefer a cheaper plain card box version. 

On the up side it's good business for the useless box making industry. I blame the "youtube unpackers"

My thoughts exactly, it's all good having a small number of 'founder edition' ones in fancy packaging but hell, a CPU alone could be put in a little clear bag, you don't need such a fancy box. 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

It depended on the retailer. During launch a large amount of retailers took advantage of the demand for the 8700K. There were retailers that were actually selling for Intel's suggested price of $359 though. It'll be the same story with these as well, and it might explain the odd price of $582.20.

57 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Still, it sucks to buy the latest and greatest and then not really get what you'd expect because there is some layer of software toothpaste (see what I did here? :D ) smeared in between...

There have been leaks that they could be using STIM for the 9900K.

48 minutes ago, MMKing said:

So it's an overclocked 7820x with dual channel memory?

Not quite, it is supposedly using the ring-bus still instead of the mesh architecture. Its also yet to be announced if it will have any AVX-512 units.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

This is a i9 9900k, not an i7 9700k, so the price deference makes sense. Not saying it's justified, but i see where they are going with it

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

The thing is, I know that there are Windows 10 updates that have 'patched' the issue but at the cost of CPU performance - I was wondering if the i9 9900K would be exempt from these patches that slow down the CPU?

1 hour ago, JediFragger said:

Not afaik, you'll have to wait for a new architecture for that (this is still CL-based).

For Desktop/Consumer, it'll be Icelake that has hardware patches. There are firmware mitigations native to Coffee Lake-R though.

10 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

This is a i9 9900k, not an i7 9700k, so the price deference makes sense. Not saying it's justified, but i see where they are going with it

I understand that but the recommended retail price for the 8700K is $350, I genuinely don't believe a $200 price hike for a product that makes little sense to begin with is justified.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Things are only expensive when people aren't inclined to pay for it. I may be wrong but it will sell very well.

So basically a 300$ CPU in a 282$ packaging? Well done Intel

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Holy shit this is the ugliest packing I ever seen in my life, am I buying a super high end CPU or a soccer ball?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Holy shit this is the ugliest packing I ever seen in my life, am I buying a super high end CPU or a soccer ball?

warning on the box

>place out of reach of children, playgrounds and footballfields

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Urgh another Rare Engram? where's my Legendary? i've been grinding for hours

Lol I'm so glad I'm not the only that instantly thought that

That's quite fancy packaging for mainstream plebeians.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

and here we go again another leak in another country and people think product prices in other countries are the same with exchange rates lol

Just now, pas008 said:

and here we go again another leak in another country and people think product prices in other countries are the same with exchange rates lol

Nothing new. People are like this every intel release. People pretty much guaranteed the 8700k would be this price also.....

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Nothing new. People are like this every intel release. People pretty much guaranteed the 8700k would be this price also.....

i'm sure it will have its premium markup, but the best products usually do

my guess msrp will be 420