California signs toughest Net Neutrality bill into law, US DOJ to sue to block it

coasterghost
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this a civil and non-political discussion

So, earlier today. Governor California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed the nation’s toughest net neutrality measure that requires internet providers to maintain a level playing field online. I am not shocked to see that the Department of Justice is now going to sue the state for enacting the law. The Party that is for states rights is claiming that only the Federal Government "has the exclusive power to regulate net neutrality." I am not shocked, that this is going to happen, and it's kinda actually poetic. I for one do think that the state will win the case since their voters wanted it to begin with, whereas others didn't want the repeal. Honestly, I do hope other states follow in California's path and it's quite interesting to see that a party that for years has run on the idea of 'States rights' are suing a state for something that they do have power over. 

California on Sunday became the largest state to adopt its own rules requiring Internet providers like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon to treat all web traffic equally. Golden State legislators took the step of writing their law after the Federal Communications Commission scrapped nationwide protections last year, citing the regulatory burdens they had caused for the telecom industry.

Mere hours after California’s proposal became law, however, senior Justice Department officials told The Washington Post they would take the state to court on grounds that the federal government, not state leaders, has the exclusive power to regulate net neutrality. DOJ officials stressed the FCC had been granted such authority from Congress to ensure that all 50 states don’t seek to write their own, potentially conflicting, rules governing the web. The U.S. government anticipates filing its lawsuit Monday morning.

“Not only is California’s Internet regulation law illegal, it also hurts consumers," Pai said in a statement. “The law prohibits many free-data plans, which allow consumers to stream video, music, and the like exempt from any data limits. They have proven enormously popular in the marketplace, especially among lower-income Americans. But notwithstanding the consumer benefits, this state law bans them.”

Sorry Pai, I don't believe you. 

Sources: 

AP: https://apnews.com/5f91111e4a2b4c72852da2ef2b3cc76f/The-Latest:-California-governor-signs-net-neutrality-bill?utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

WashPo on the lawsuit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/10/01/trump-administration-is-suing-california-quash-its-new-net-neutrality-law/?utm_term=.7b0f6d518761

Mods, please do your best, and I'm sorry in advance. Posters please be respectful and such. 

CA for the win.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

THE GREAT STATE OF CALIFORNIA

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Did the internet become worse when the net neutrality was lifted?

Not in the slightest. Also didn't get better when it was enacted.

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If not, why bother? 

Political ammunition. More mud to throw at the opposing party.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

36 minutes ago, coasterghost said:

So, earlier today. Governor California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed the nation’s toughest net neutrality measure that requires internet providers to maintain a level playing field online. 

On the one hand its a good thing for the consumer, on the other hand we are mostly in this mess because of Gouvernment regulations....

I really do not know How I see that or I should find it...

IMO we should start with making the entry to the telecom market easier and diversify more.

Ie make Companys that are very local, for example a city and another company does the intercity connections.

A thing that our all favorite Mac Repair Guy complains about is the Connection that's across the street (fiber) and he has inferior with higher prices...

We should think about that first, getting 100MBit or more to every house in the Country...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

Net Neutrality laws haven't done anything.

'Net Neutrality' in a political context is not actually beneficial to anyone outside a corporate environment. You may disagree, but I'm just here to represent those who are against net neutrality laws. Not everyone equates 'net neutrality' to a good thing. Regulating the internet, in any capacity, is a bad idea regardless of intention.

Now, I don't mind that California is being California. Let them criminalize plastic straws and treat internet like a monopolized utility. Not my shithole to live in. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

18 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not in the slightest. Also didn't get better when it was enacted.

Political ammunition. More mud to throw at the opposing party.

I’m gonna wait for an amazing reply to this that shits over this this stupid post. 

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

. . .in this mess because of Government regulations....

IMO we should start with making the entry to the telecom market easier and diversify more.

Precisely the point. Regulations require providers to meet and compete with impossible demands. There is a reason over 80% of Americans pay 1 of 2 companies for internet access.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

16 minutes ago, sanfilippo12 said:

Dang I hate California.  Still do.

why we are a great state? What did we to do you?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hey mods when are you guys going to stop allowing net neutrality threads? Whenever you try to say your case against it, people quickly retort to politics and it gets nasty fast.

I for one am getting real tired of having to show restraint in making rebuttals to comments about certain topics like Net Neutrality.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I think that this passing will help show the differences - if any - between systems set up with and without net neutrality and it may help the community to understand what it could help with.

Regardless, although this thread is destined for controversiality, I think it's a good thing to have here.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

we're already hurling insults to those who didn't support the Net Neutrality laws.

He's doing me a solid and supporting my point.

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

45 minutes

That's about 44 minutes and 59 seconds longer than I thought it would take.

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

we are a great state

No, California really isn't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

That's about 44 minutes and 59 seconds longer than I thought it would take.

yeah same

how the hell this topic brings out the absolute worst from people is beyond me

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

why we are a great state? What did we to do you?

I personally wouldn't want to live in California.

Frankly if I had to choose between Minnesota or California, while I'm not a fan of Minnesota either. At least it isn't California... Yet.

I think this is a good move. We need consumer protections especially as the bigger players only get bigger. 

Spoiler

https://www.businessinsider.com/att-time-warner-acquisition-what-it-will-own-2018-6

AT&T Time Warner Merger Web

tl;dr: Basically everything will be owned by AT&T. They will charge premiums to other providers which will only serve to inflate prices until someone decides a lawsuit should be brought forward for AT&T price-fixing and creating a non-competition industry. 

I'd like to see every state push forward with this BEFORE California loses or receives a non-unaminous decision to continue as it will convey a much stronger message to leaders of the industry and serves as legal precedence that the people of the USA are in favor of NN. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

16 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

There is a reason over 80% of Americans pay 1 of 2 companies for internet access.

And that is the real problem that should be worked towards solving. A couple more ISPs would be a good idea...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Hey mods when are you guys going to stop allowing net neutrality threads? Whenever you try to say your case against it, people quickly retort to politics and it gets nasty fast.

I would rather ask the forum members to stop deviating from the proposed topic and only to speak of the pertinent details of said topic. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

53 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Did the internet become worse when the net neutrality was lifted? If not, why bother? 

Why would it? Why would ISPs advance on that when 'the whole world is watching'? It'd be one hell of a told ya so moment. The rule got repealed and there's been talk about reenacting them by other ways since the announcement of the repeal.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I would rather ask the forum members to stop deviating from the proposed topic and only to speak of the pertinent details of said topic. 

lol that's a tall order for some of the forum members on here. instringly, this topic is bound to quickly become toxic if you do not want to participate in the echo chamber. Even if you just come along and say why you think something is a bad idea or in your opinion not something you wanted to see happen, you'll have people who don't want to just accept that's your opinion and let you carry on. They're going to want you to try and debate them even if their mind is already made up and they're refusing to see what you're saying.