iPhone XS Not Charging

yolosnail
20 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Its nice that you can have a positive view on almost any kind of completely embarrassing apple situation, but you kind of need to take off those apple glasses that they have issued you and realize that android manufacturers can push updates and fix problems too, it aint as magical as you'd want to believe it is. Well at least not as magical as releasing a 1k+ dollars phone that you can't charge in 2018. That takes some serious courage. 

My Xs charges just fine. Do you have data showing the prevalence of this problem?

3 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

My Xs charges just fine. Do you have data showing the prevalence of this problem?

did you not read the first post?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/29/iphone-xs-automatic-power-charge-issue/

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/09/29/some-iphone-xs-and-iphone-xs-max-have-a-charging-problem/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551504

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

36 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

I did. What about it?

2 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

Multiple people are having the issue, it's being reported on...or is this the kind of proof you ignore?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Apple is prepping users for the eventual removal of the charging port altogether. ?

Basically, its a bug with USB accessories and the blocking of data when the phone is not unlocked. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 hours ago, yolosnail said:

It seems that the new iPhone XS phones have a serious issue. 

When devices are plugged in when they are asleep, the iPhone is not detecting the lightning cable and therefore not charging. There are many people on the Apple forum experiencing the same issue

Lewis Hilsenteger, of Unbox Therapy fame is experiencing the problem on several of his iPhones, both the XS and the XS Max, but not all of them.

I wonder if this is indeed a software fault because I would have thought that if it was software, then it would affect all devices not just some of them

This is very bad for people who charge their phone overnight without checking to make sure their device is in fact charging

This is one of the main reasons why I refuse to buy a phone so soon after launch, I'd much rather get a last gen phone where all of the bugs have been fixed

Source:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551504

Original post from Apple Forum member 'xMASTIFFSx'

It seems people have been having the same problem even after switching phones

this is not a bug,

unlock your iPhone, plug the cable in, it will charge now.

this is related to the feature that stops unauthorized access to your iPhone through Lightning Port,

there is a vulnerability in the iPhone Lightning Port that allows an attacker to gain access to the

information (through the Lightning Port) stored on your iPhone while your iPhone is locked.

this vulnerability is patched by disabling access to the Lightning Port after a given period of time when iPhone Locks,

so,

unlock your iPhone, plug it it, it will charge,

or

get a wireless charger

cheers!

Why is your title claiming that users are at fault?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

because that one time Jobs said people are holding the iPhone wrong...

(meme, basically)

Yeah, but this is a Tech News post. IMO, the title should really make no mention of a meme and should focus only on the content. Otherwise, it's incorrect information.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

13 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Clickbait. Unbox therapy is clickbait filler over dramatic spewing of a tiny problem blown up. The video could be 2 minutes and just say hey it doesn’t work here’s how and here’s what I have done to try and fix it

that was primarily the reason they even got around to fixing the mac throttling as quick by "firmware update" but it wasn't but whatever. gets the issue out more quickly and they'll probably end up fixing it soon rather than questioning the customers if they did anything wrong which apple tends to do. so everbody wins. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

16 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Why is your title claiming that users are at fault?

15 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

because that one time Jobs said people are holding the iPhone wrong...

(meme, basically)

Also pretty self evident in this thread: we already have multiple people running interference and offering excuses for this issue some of which include that the users are indeed doing it wrong.

-------

Current Rig

-------

37 minutes ago, operator303 said:

this is not a bug,

unlock your iPhone, plug the cable in, it will charge now.

this is related to the feature that stops unauthorized access to your iPhone through Lightning Port,

there is a vulnerability in the iPhone Lightning Port that allows an attacker to gain access to the

information (through the Lightning Port) stored on your iPhone while your iPhone is locked.

this vulnerability is patched by disabling access to the Lightning Port after a given period of time when iPhone Locks,

so,

or

get a wireless charger

cheers!

that's some security feature that doesn't give you access to lightning port until it's woken up even if the phone is locked LMAO, what kind of security is that? if the attacker already has your phone, does it even matter if it's in a sleep state and you have to wake it up or not? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

T R I L L I O N DOLLAR COMPANY

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, operator303 said:

The 'related feature' that you're talking about is supposed to stop a data connection, not a power connection. This feature also exists on other iPhone models, and those iPhone models still charge without being awoken, hence this is an issue.

Holding your phone wrong btw.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yeah, but this is a Tech News post. IMO, the title should really make no mention of a meme and should focus only on the content. Otherwise, it's incorrect information.

Well its not really 100% incorrect information. By charging your phone slightly differantly it will charge. It is just the regular method of plug and forget doesnt allways work. One have to charge the phone differently to get it to charge (that may or may not work)

The title is enginious as it incorperates a meme without having false information.

One thing I find odd. 

Reversing the orientation of the Lightning cable somehow charges the phone for some? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, operator303 said:

this is not a bug,

so,

or

get a wireless charger

cheers!

Uh, it's a bug.

It's not supposed to do that since barely any data is being transferred (the only data that is being transferred is information necessary to ensure proper and safe charging). 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 hours ago, Arika S said:

I look forward to the normal Apple response of "our product is not defective, you're just doing it wrong, it's your fault not ours."

What? I never get this forum’s hatred and blatant making up of things all things Apple.

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

Multiple people are having the issue, it's being reported on...or is this the kind of proof you ignore?

You’re not answering my question here. 

i wonder how apple will spin this, blaming the user (kinda like the old iphones crappy reception if you held it in your hand) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I used to have these issues sometimes (not often) with my iPhone 5S.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

21 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple will issue a patch and this will be fixed. The glory of iOS is you have the ability to push updates to users immediately. Unlike other operating systems. 

False information. Or at least implied false information.

You can push an Android update out at will. Refusing to support a device isn't the same as being unable to. However you can bet most flagships would get an OTA update ASAP. 

Distraction failed.

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, sure they can. So far the only one even close to being able to do that is Google and their phones are worse than Apples. 

Cough Android One.....

Cough major Android distros will follow suit shortly after

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Well its not really 100% incorrect information. By charging your phone slightly differantly it will charge. It is just the regular method of plug and forget doesnt allways work. One have to charge the phone differently to get it to charge (that may or may not work)

The title is enginious as it incorperates a meme without having false information.

From what I'm reading, users aren't even part of the equation. Regardless of the meme, the title should only pertain to the content itself. It's a Tech News post. As far as I'm concerned, higher standards should be placed on them, versus any other post.