Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VR Edition is launching next week but your PC probably can't run it

AlTech

Ninja Theory has announced that Hellblade: Senua's Sacifice VR Edition will be coming to Steam on July 31st.

This is a standalone VR version of their existing game and was designed specifically for VR.  It's coming to the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (SteamVR).

They did admit that there wasn't much of a Business reason to make the VR Edition and that they did it out of curiosity and to please fans.

Anybody who owns the existing game will get the VR Edition for free on supported platforms.

The Windows Store, GOG, and Console versions do not look like they will be getting the VR Edition.

The graphics card they recommended for the VR Edition is a GTX 1080. Personally, recommending a GTX 1080 for a VR Edition of a game is wrong on so many levels considering how few people will actually be able to run this at a reasonable framerate. If they needed a GTX 1080 for this game at VR then to me it sounds more like lack of optimizations and that this VR Edition shouldn't have been released at all. The GTX 1060 should still be the target for developers to aim for VR. If a VR Game can't run smoothly on the most common mainstream dGPU on Steam then it probably won't sell terribly well.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well, I will probably have a reason to buy Hellblade then.

I will definitely check reviews first though, but I should be able to run it just fine.

However, where the hell is the Resident Evil Biohazard VR for PC?

48 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The graphics card they recommended for the VR Edition is a GTX 1080. Personally, recommending a GTX 1080 for a VR Edition of a game is wrong on so many levels considering how few people will actually be able to run this at a reasonable framerate. If they needed a GTX 1080 for this game at VR then to me it sounds more like lack of optimizations and that this VR Edition shouldn't have been released at all. The GTX 1060 should still be the target for developers to aim for VR. If a VR Game can't run smoothly on the most common mainstream dGPU on Steam then it probably won't sell terribly well.

To be fair, you need a GTX 1080 to run this game at a constant 60FPS+ at 1440p at High/Ultra settings, so considering that VR has a fairly similar resolution, it looks pretty reasonable that the 1080 is what's recommended. Also, remember that "recommended" doesn't mean "minimum", it only means that they recommend a GTX 1080 for an optimal gaming experience.

I'm sure they could reduce the quality and visual fidelity but should they do that only to make a 1060 "enough" for it? I don't think so :3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

To be fair, you need a GTX 1080 to run this game at a constant 60FPS at 1440p at High/Ultra settings, so considering that VR has a fairly similar resolution, it looks fairly reasonable that the 1080 is what's recommended. Also, remember that "recommended" doesn't mean "minimum", it only means that they recommend a GTX 1080 for an optimal gaming experience.

I'm sure they could reduce the quality and visual fidelity but should they do that only to make a 1060 "enough" for it? I don't think so :3

Not to mention that most people in VR also want to use at least x2 SSAA

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

ersonally, recommending a GTX 1080 for a VR Edition of a game is wrong on so many levels considering how few people will actually be able to run this at a reasonable framerate. If they needed a GTX 1080 for this game at VR then to me it sounds more like lack of optimizations and that this VR Edition shouldn't have been released at all. The GTX 1060 should still be the target for developers to aim for VR. If a VR Game can't run smoothly on the most common mainstream dGPU on Steam then it probably won't sell terribly well.

I disagree. Limiting developers to the capabilities of a weaker GPU for the sake of maximum sales, in a market as niche as VR, isn't helping push more high graphic quality games on that front. Everything having a cartoonish stylization gets boring quickly, and there's just not that many good VR games as it stands.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

i would go as far as say we need more devs to be bold enough to do what the original crysis did, and release a game that takes years to be properly run push the boundaries, aim for the heavens, though amd being out of the high end is a problem for now, hopefully they get back by H2 2019/2020

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i would go as far as say we need more devs to be bold enough to do what the original crysis did, and release a game that takes years to be properly run push the boundaries, aim for the heavens, though amd being out of the high end is a problem for now, hopefully they get back by H2 2019/2020

Financially it's completely unsustainable. Crysis had a much bigger addressable market and still wasn't really a big financial success. Trying that tactic with VR means you'll lose money.

It's still cool that one or two devs does it, as long as they aren't expecting profit from it.

This isn't the first time where recommendations are above base, it has been happening since the start. There will always be a gap between minimum to get it to run at all, and a higher requirement to run it as intended.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

This isn't the first time where recommendations are above base, it has been happening since the start. There will always be a gap between minimum to get it to run at all, and a higher requirement to run it as intended.

We're still on that new technology frontier where only the most high end stuff will do, part in parcel with this sort of thing. I don't know why there is this new trend to jump to bad optimization for highly demanding workloads, sometimes things just really are hard and the minimum viable product just is demanding like that, VR is that. Ray tracing is another example.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The graphics card they recommended for the VR Edition is a GTX 1080. Personally, recommending a GTX 1080 for a VR Edition of a game is wrong on so many levels considering how few people will actually be able to run this at a reasonable framerate. If they needed a GTX 1080 for this game at VR then to me it sounds more like lack of optimizations and that this VR Edition shouldn't have been released at all

I own a factory overclocked R9 290 and there is no game I have not been able to play with good framerates and quality so far...

Thing is... if they want to target GTX 1080 / Vega 64 level graphics then it's there choice. I won't buy it for VR, but personally I think it's their right to do so. Just make sure that game looks damn gorgeous in order to justify it.

If it's due to bad optimization that's a different story.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

release a game that takes years to be properly run push the boundaries, aim for the heavens

Do you want No Man's Sky? Because this is how you get No Man's Sky

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Do you want No Man's Sky? Because this is how you get No Man's Sky

That just took years to run. No boundaries were pushed.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

That just took years to run. No boundaries were pushed.

They aimed for the heavens and burned their wings. 

My point being aiming for the heavens isnt the best way to make a successful game.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ninja theory is an amazing team. I haven't played SS yet, but I've heard amazing things and I've played with a lot of their older titles. Can't wait to see what they're up to next, they've said in an interview a few months back that they're working on a number of projects some including VR.

It's great to see a developer use their own internal experiments like this to add value to a title. The fact that they could take lessons from VR and apply it to the base experience is great to see, and I'd love to see more developers experiment and take risks with their games.

I just hope they continue to release great games on open platforms like they have before. The recent aquisition by Microsoft Studios is great for them in terms of support and funding I'm sure, but it also concerns me with Microsoft's history regarding PC gaming (Games for Windows Life and the Fable fustercluck for example). Especially after just announcing they were in a good place financially and were looking forward to serving the middle-ground between AAA and indie, the aquisition feels a little odd.

I tried to play it... somehow I couldn't force myself to go much farther on it... feels like the only appeal of the game is it's "awesome graphics" which aren't all that great being honest considering the very small closed environments you're usually at.

Repetitive gameplay, boring puzzles, simplistic fighting mechanics, not captivating story telling, meh protagonist that feels quite lacking... nothing stands up to me in this game personally.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I would just like to point out that the game was made by a studio of around 20 people, so let that sink in. This game is a success story

...And I would say it is very well done. Definitely one of the coolest atmospheres it puts you in with all the "voices". Bet that would be pretty trippy in VR with spacial sound and some good headphones.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I tried to play it... somehow I couldn't force myself to go much farther on it... feels like the only appeal of the game is it's "awesome graphics" which aren't all that great being honest considering the very small closed environments you're usually at.

Repetitive gameplay, boring puzzles, simplistic fighting mechanics, not captivating story telling, meh protagonist that feels quite lacking... nothing stands up to me in this game personally.

The voices in the main character's head are super-creepy and sometimes can give you a mini heart attack when you have loud headphones with good 7.1 (love my G633's) :D It's an indie game though so that's how it should be treated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

i also found the game really over hyped, the fighting is meh, the puzzles are really weak. Honestly i don't see what everybody saw in this game. At times seemed more like a walking simulator, going through the motions, but with the added bonus of a sub par story

I don't see what VR can ad to the game

Tbh a 1080 is the "recommended" spec for everything in VR. Even my 980ti is quite lacking in VR...

This title is misleading. Plenty of games have high "recommended" specs but will run just fine on lower specs 

That's an F in the profile pic

I was going to say that I don't share your feelings about recommending a 1080 and that VR is demanding, but it's really not that bad.  If you actually look at the specs for both headsets, it's about the same as doing ultrawide 1080p @ 90 fps which should be within the capabilities of a 1060 if you keep your graphics settings in check and have a properly optimized game.  That said, I can totally understand them recommending a 1080 if they want to push graphics ahead with this title, and/or if it's poorly optimized.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.