Ryzen 3000 series might have more than 8 cores

19_blackie_73
1 hour ago, Rune said:

An 8 core soldered cannonlake chip is all I want.

Make it so, Intel.

Cannonlake on Desktop was canceled two years ago. We don't know what they'll be doing with Icelake. Or even the time frame for the schedule.

4 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Is it bad that I read this as "ten-de-seven-hundred-K?"

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

7 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Seems like fun to me, though there's no chance that the anemic VRM on that board will happily handle a 10-12 core.

It may since they will be 7nm cores with better power characteristics.

we're going beyond the # of cores a consumer will reasonably fully utilize 

which is cool I guess.. why not? if it doesn't affect anything else. More incentive for better multi core optimization for apps and programs and games will be sooooo nice

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd like to see that too, but unfortunately you have to add something lest you look like you're falling behind.

And I'm not so thrilled about trying to add more cores for the sake of adding more cores. Maybe for the enthusiast and the would-be gamer/streamer, but that's like a tiny portion of the market.

To me it would make more sense to use that new die space for more/better FMA units to close the AVX gap with Intel and maybe go with an extra memory channel per die to feed that beast. 3 channel Ryzen, 6 channel Threadripper, 12 channel EPYC sounds go to me and helps all 3 product lines equally (EPYC the most in regards to NVDIMMs becoming more a thing).

Even though Zen doesn't clock as high as Intel most of the areas Intel CPUs are faster aren't actually directly due to the high clocks but more complex CPU cores.

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Call me in another 2+ years when improvements over gen 1 Ryzen is worth upgrading from.

Why not sooner? We are expecting a 50% core bum in 9~ months

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

If this turns out to be true,then AMD has basically cannibalized their Threadripper platform because, why spend more on a Threadripper when Ryzen can also go beyond 8 cores. Intel segments their platform for a reason is so that anyone that wants more cores, will have to spend more on a higher end platform like the X299.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

If this turns out to be true,then AMD has basically cannibalized their Threadripper platform because, why spend more on a Threadripper when Ryzen can also go beyond 8 cores. Intel segments their platform for a reason is so that anyone that wants more cores, will have to spend more on a higher end platform like the X299.

Depends on what you actually need, anyone wanting 10GbE and more than an M.2 or 2 would still go with TR even at the same core count as what Ryzen can do. Comes down to if you just have CPU performance requirements or higher end platform requirements, which is the bigger mistake Intel has done with their HEDT lineup.

Why would anyone want to step up to HEDT on Intel when half the product stack is artificially capped at a reduced lane count so motherboard AIC and M.2 utilization is a pain to figure out and you don't really have any more than the desktop line with all the cost of HEDT. Intel HEDT is purely a wallet competition at this point, all practically has been thrown out the window.

52 minutes ago, Arika S said:

consumers don't need that many cores though...

We only don't need that many cores because we have never had that many cores. Look at mobile phones for instance, 8 core processors were common in mobile phones well before desktops, and I would say they're still not common in desktops.

4 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

We only don't need that many cores because we have never had that many cores. Look at mobile phones for instance, 8 core processors were common in mobile phones well before desktops, and I would say they're still not common in desktops.

and i would say that octo-core processors in phones are unnecessary 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Yes let's just not progress and sit at the same core count for 7 gens again, that was much better.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

With this logic we would be stuck on 4c/8t for another few years. 

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

With this logic we would be stuck on 4c/8t for another few years. 

if it means better optimization of multicore workloads then sure, sign me up for more 4c/8t Cpus. but throwing more cores at something when the regular consumer and a large amount of software wont benefit from the additional cores just feels like a "hey look what we can do" instead of making a sensible product.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

if it means better optimization of multicore workloads then sure, sign me up for more 4c/8t Cpus. but throwing more cores at something when the regular consumer and a large amount of software wont benefit from the additional cores just feels like a "hey look what we can do" instead of making a sensible product.

The beautiful thing about Ryzen is that the yields are amazing. 

There is no point going for less cores as that would cost the same or even more since there are diminishing returns.

Its definitely not just "hey,  look what we can do!". 

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The beautiful thing about Ryzen is that the yields are amazing. 

There is no point going for less cores as that would cost the same or even more since there are diminishing returns.

Its definitely not just "hey,  look what we can do!". 

if that's the case, fantastic, if they don't charge more for more cores then that's a good move.

I still feel that the additional cores will sit largely unused until software catches up with the core count, but by that time there's likely going to be a few generations of CPUs released

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I still feel that the additional cores will sit largely unused until software catches up with the core count, but by that time there's likely going to be a few generations of CPUs released

Oh definitely, we were sitting at 4c for ages so SW will have to catch up now. 

But many people seem to like stream nowadays so more cores can only help in this aspect and it is still within consumers use case. 

28 minutes ago, Arika S said:

if that's the case, fantastic, if they don't charge more for more cores then that's a good move.

The point is, if we aren't continually pushing the core count software has nothing to catch up to.

27 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And no software developer would develop for a hardware market that doesn't exist or is worth catering for. It's rather common for hardware to come before software support for it.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And no software developer would develop for a hardware market that doesn't exist or is worth catering for. It's rather common for hardware to come before software support for it.

the issue is that we've gone from 4 to 6 to 8 and now 8+ in a very short amount of time, so they have been working with 4c/8t which i would argue still is not fully taken advantage of so we're now just pushing 6c and 8c to the wayside which will be even less optimized if we're going to 12 or 16 core what ever AMD decide to make. software is going to be a jumbled mess

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Call me in another 2+ years when improvements over gen 1 Ryzen is worth upgrading from.

it will be worth it with zen 2, as it will have more cores more clocks and more ipc (acording to oc3d its 10-15% which is a huge jump), clocks should be between (oc) 4.5-4.8ghz which is more than enough

3 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

AMD going down the FX route again. 

8c/16t is plenty, please chase IPC now. 

Increase core count for your HEDT platform and server chips. 

no they are not, to amd now adding more cores to a design isn't expensive at all so they can improve core performance and give you more cores, its a win win scenario and acording to oc3d ipc gains might be in the neighborhood of 10-15% which is a lot

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

for some people yes but am4 still only gets 2 channel ram so i bet that in many cases the 12 cores on TR will be faster (same gen of course), plus TR is a beast of a platform with many features pulling people in

18 minutes ago, Arika S said:

the issue is that we've gone from 4 to 6 to 8 and now 8+ in a very short amount of time, so they have been working with 4c/8t which i would argue still is not fully taken advantage of so we're now just pushing 6c and 8c to the wayside which will be even less optimized if we're going to 12 or 16 core what ever AMD decide to make. software is going to be a jumbled mess

devs many times have to code for the slowest common denominator which has been 2 cores 4 threads, moving that to 4 cores 8 threads allows devs to add more cpu intensive features without reducing their adressable market, devs of games like The Elder Scrolls,  Witcher and other open world games will be able to finally have a higher density of npcs which will make the worlds more believable (in TES case if they improve their engine first, which right now sucks)

I'd be happy with perfect memory support and parity with Intel's IPC.

Don't go overboard on cores AMD. We get it. Fix the other shit first.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

AMD going down the FX route again. 

8c/16t is plenty, please chase IPC now

Increase core count for your HEDT platform and server chips. 

Well, I *would* like more cores as well, but YES please chase IPC now!!  I think even a couple years ago we should have already had CPUs that would do over 200 single-threaded Cinebench R15 at under 4 GHz.  By now we should be doing 300 CB at 4 GHz single-threaded, if not more.

My current desktop's i7-4790K has about double the score in single-threaded Cinebench, as I'd think my previous desktop's multi-threaded score on the Athlon 64 X2 4000+ would have been.  I'd at least like my next CPU to make a similar jump over the 4790K, without having to resort to like 20 GHz clockspeeds which are unattainable with current tech, as I understand it.

Or for an even better improvement ... my dad's 486-120 he bought in October 1995 was I believe about seventy TIMES or so faster than the 286-10 (bought in January 1989) it replaced, and was about 1/3 the cost.  To start, the CPUs should catch up to where they would be if that pace of improvement had not slowed down.

Also I really want to be able to simultaneously encode multiple 4K HEVC lossless video in "placebo" preset at >120 fps each in Handbrake (BEFORE considering GPU assistance), not the ~ 0.0 fps (or taking FOUR(!) HOURS 16 MINUTES or longer to render a 17-SECOND video, and this on SSDs too!) my 4790K in desktop and 6700K in laptop currently d, without having to spend a fortune (as in more than $200-250) on a CPU.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

I wonder why people think consumers don't need many cores?  Is it because we're not expected to run more than one or two things at once?

I do a little light multitasking here and there (and have a couple VMs running as well), although I'd really like to be able to step up the multitasking *WITHOUT* having to get an HEDT or server board.

Spoiler

5b0356b386477_Screenshot(273).thumb.png.2cf02456ceb12d3be537947967fccd5a.png

59d6bcd1d3fc4_TWBD-HS(TMc)2017-10-04c09-ss01-Handbrake8KH.26560fpsq0placebokeyint118.30fps000.0avgfps000.thumb.png.6937b83e353d3dea1723560d92c3d854.png

59d092c0352b0_screenshotcluttereddesktopalmostmidnightwaiting4scrapyardwarss62017-09-30.thumb.png.eb90a8903e309f8f3dc43d41baad4bfc.png

599ca4d53b62f_2016-04-17-multiAudacityinUbuntuStudioVirtualBox.thumb.png.1a6cb4b43944233394724852d885d2f9.png

Also I'd like to see RAM support greatly increased, and not just doubling - for example my next non-HEDT (4-DIMM) system needs to be able to support 1 TB of RAM at least before considering RDIMMs.

Anyway ... I'm hoping that performance will be met with my next planned upgrade, which for now is planned either when DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 are out on mainstream, or the 7-year warranty on my Corsair AX760 (bought in January 2015) expires.