Intel's 28 Core 5Ghz CPU is misleading at best

RadiatingLight
8 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

no, I mean unlock the multiplier. 

Make a dual CPU system easy to overclock. 

I doubt we will ever see that. 

https://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

https://www.evga.com/articles/00668/

Already been there.

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's still misleading when you OC on one of the most extreme ways to OC.  This isn't designed for the OCing market, this isn't designed for gamers who OC, but it is designed for professionals.  So yea, it is misleading regardless of them not "confirming" it.

Chilled water isn't extreme at all. Any pleb here could pull it off. It's so hilariously easy that it can be a fully viable 24/7 solution.

The "introductory" extreme cooling solution is single-stage phase. After that, multi-stage or cascade is where most will stop for sub-zero operation.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

32 minutes ago, pas008 said:

mislead when only confirmation was 28 core and rest wasnt even confirmed

overclocking all core should be indicator along with no turbo stats or base freq stats

also having liquid cooling should been another indicator by far

nothing else was given from intel just 28 core

I dont know how long you have been around but showcasing the product like this always have about showmanship and

all companies do this, not every single time but they all have done it multiple times

if these journalist/reporters/writers/etc want to briefly skim through shit and twist shit that isnt anyone's fault but their own

and funny thing is I have seen multiple articles pretty much identical from each other like it was a copy and paste then reword lol

just like many people say that this was rushed to kill amds thunder

so rushed they designed and made a mobo and had it present at the showcase

It's not anything new, but cool to hate on it because Intel i guess. Shame that the tech journalists get away with copy+paste articles and passing some made up conclusions as professional journalism. That is just as bad as the news media but let's ignore the media's twisting to shit on Intel which only claims "28 cores capable of 5Ghz".

However very effective though since 9 pages later people are still, for lack of better description atm, losing sleep over it.

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

https://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

https://www.evga.com/articles/00668/

Already been there.

Chilled water isn't extreme at all. Any pleb here could pull it off. It's so hilariously easy that it can be a fully viable 24/7 solution.

The "introductory" extreme cooling solution is single-stage phase. After that, multi-stage or cascade is where most will stop for sub-zero operation.

who would run a 1700w cooling device 24/7, plus considering no phase change cooler can keep up with the heat load of this cpu yes it is extreme

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

It's not anything new, but cool to hate on it because Intel i guess. Shame that the tech journalists get away with copy+paste articles and passing some made up conclusions as professional journalism. That is just as bad as the news media but let's ignore the media's twisting to shit on Intel which only claims "28 cores capable of 5Ghz".

However very effective though since 9 pages later people are still, for lack of better description atm, losing sleep over it.

Or blame the source of information that they all had to work with. When you're reporting on news most articles will always be the same, it's not like the source information is different for each news outlet, they all have the same.

You know what else is trendy right now, blaming media for everything as well. You know sometimes the source is the problem not the reporter.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You should both go read Intel's official response to this and their admission to not disclosing of information they should have that we, and Intel, said they should have and that they had intended on doing.

If they had just said it was an OC result everyone would just be ogling the CB score and how amazingly high it is for a single socket then hoping for an LN2 run. It's not the first time Intel has done a sponsored OC at a trade show, it's the first time I've seen such an exotic cooling solution used on a main press conference though. Yes people would then also bring up TR2 and wonder what it would get in CB but no one would be talking about Intel misleading anyone.

they were showcasing unannounced product and holding info this happens all the time

media today is about jumping the gun to report first

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

who would run a 1700w cooling device 24/7, plus considering no phase change cooler can keep up with the heat load of this gpu yes it is extreme

I would xD. It's actually something I looked in to a few years ago but it didn't like the potential condensation issues and noise.

Just now, leadeater said:

Or blame the source of information that they all had to work with. When you're reporting on news most articles will always be the same, it's not like the source information is different for each news outlet, they all have the same.

You know what else is trendy right now, blaming media for everything as well. You know sometimes the source is the problem not the reporter.

what info did the confirm again?

media did the rest with a showcasing

lol done

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

they were showcasing unannounced product and holding info this happens all the time

media today is about jumping the gun to report first

No, actually go read Intel's official reply about this and their admission they were supposed to say it was an OC system.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

You going to buy it dinner and a vaseline suit first?

It stood me up, very hurt so went out with custom water loop instead.

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Fine, we should only show a souped-up version of a car rather than the most likely production stock version intended for a target consumer.  It's not misleading they just took it out of context because of the media.  It also doesn't matter when said target consumer doesn't likely know anything about cars.

they do only show souped up vehicles at times

way more hp but consumer version is down graded

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No, actually go read Intel's official reply about this and their admission they were supposed to say it was an OC system.

anyone could understand this with logic

all cores running with no turbo

liquid cooling

just like stated before many new cars are showcased with shit load of hp but consumer version is downgraded by far

and we arent even talking about a consumer product lol

That's misleading if their target audience isn't car enthusiasts and borderline false advertising.

no it isnt

its showmanship

the extreme enthusiast can achieve same results by spending more with modding 

lol

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's misleading if their target audience isn't car enthusiasts and borderline false advertising.

Don't worry about it, not even Intel is on their side of the debate. When Intel steps in and says no we messed up and did intend to say it was overclocked during the presentation then there is nothing left to discuss, unless you want to make up stuff even Intel doesn't agree with.

When you're on stage acting in a official capacity for a company everything you say is official information, you need to be careful what you say and even how you say it. You are the source of information and if it's important or interesting it will be reported on, if something is out of normal operating parameters you need to say so and they usually always do.

No one is immune to making mistakes of course and it's good Intel stepped up and gave some clarification on the matter.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

A majority of professionals, the target audience, don't know anything about overclocking.  When you don't even say it's overclocked, while showing off a product to said target audience, you are giving them the wrong idea or impression.  That's the definition of misleading!

The extreme enthusiast isn't the target audience!  

because its showmanship teaser and if you are the media should be your responsibility to be knowledgeable in your field

just like movies show but dont disclose

just like in carshows 2018 always having amped up specs but consumer version never does

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That still doesn't give anyone excuses to publish false conclusions when all they should have done is only report on what was available or wait until the systems were presented by Gigabyte and Asus later, which should go for the rest of the media as well. But no, it's giving them a "free pass" for only paying attention for what was really said and not following the media clickbait headlines.

11 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The cooler used,that should have been obvious it wasn't anything normal even from seeing the press event, isn't something an "average overclocker" isn't going to be using. Then again the "average overclocker" doesn't risk ruining the chip just to see how far it goes and won't be using anything but an air cooler or an AIO loop. Although  I'd agree putting something together for sub-ambient cooling isn't all that difficult.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Don't worry about it, not even Intel is on their side of the debate. When Intel steps in and says no we messed up and did intend to say it was overclocked during the presentation then there is nothing left to discuss, unless you want to make up stuff even Intel doesn't agree with.

When you're on stage acting in a official capacity for a company everything you say is official information, you need to be careful what you say and even how you say it. You are the source of information and if it's important or interesting it will be reported on, if something is out of normal operating parameters you need to say so and they usually always do.

No one is immune to making mistakes of course and it's good Intel stepped up and gave some clarification on the matter.

yes of course they clarified

like hello

you idiots arent knowledgeable enough to understand wc'd system with all cores running at 5ghz?

to the media not anyone here

you dont jump the gun and start assuming on an announced product when only thing that was confirmed was 28 core

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

When you give a professional the wrong impression, no matter how you want to spin it, it is misleading by definition.  Showmanship can be misleading as it usually gives someone the wrong impression.  That's the definition of misleading and that was Intel's intent.  Hence why they only just now announced that it was OCed.

intent lol now you are assuming too

has to be clarified because media ran with it

wc'd system with all cores running, no turbo boost table clocks, if media isnt knowledgable enough that is their deal

This was a tech demo of a professional product.  They aren't marketing it to Der8auer!  So, yes they are giving professionals the wrong impression.  But hey, I take it you don't care if you, your friends, or family ever get ripped off?

again

wc'd system with all cores running, no turbo boost table clocks, if media isnt knowledgable enough that is their deal

facts should be presented not conclusions when there can be any

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

like hello

you idiots arent knowledgeable enough to understand wc'd system with all cores running at 5ghz?

to the media not anyone here

you dont jump the gun and start assuming on an announced product when only thing that was confirmed was 28 core

The onus is on Intel to disclose that it is not stock. You can't say hey this is our new product and then run it out of spec, it's misleading at best, possibly illegal.

And your argument about the cars, which car manufacturer has done this that wasn't a concept? The car manufacturers always state that the concept car is not the retail version.

like hello

Well they kinda had to give clarification, after the headlines were all giving the implication that it's 5Ghz stock, making things up about turbo clocks or whatever.

This was a tech demo of a professional product.  They aren't marketing it to Der8auer!  So, yes they are giving professionals the wrong impression.  But, hey I take it you don't care if you, your friends, or family ever get ripped off. 

A professional product? It was a concept mockup that Intel had Gigabyte and Asus made a couple one off boards for that doesn't even fit in most cases, that isn't for sale. I'd like to know how anyone got ripped off though when you can't buy it lol.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

The onus is on Intel to disclose that it is not stock. You can't say hey this is our new product and then run it out of spec, it's misleading at best, possibly illegal.

And your argument about the cars, which car manufacturer has done this that wasn't a concept? The car manufacturers always state that the concept car is not the retail version.

intel only confirmed 28 core wouldnt talk about anything else

had to do a clarified statement because media started to assume things

So, their target audience is Der8auer?

learn what showmanship is please do happens all the time like I have pointed out earlier

Showmanship in marketing can be misleading.  

lol

what did intel confirm on stage only?

ok then

then rest is showmanship

like I said happens all the times

gpus, ssds, ram, vehicles, movies, videogames

many show well beyond what end product will have

we have seen this numerous times

this isnt new

19 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

who would run a 1700w cooling device 24/7, plus considering no phase change cooler can keep up with the heat load of this cpu yes it is extreme

There's enthusiasts out there who are all into this sort of stuff.

They aren't here on LTT (that's evident by the thread) but they're definitely out there. OCN has a few. Some of there chil box experiments are awesome.

And besides, nobody who's going to run this processor is using an off the shelf unit. They're going to build there own.

The cooler used,that should have been obvious it wasn't anything normal even from seeing the press event,

Exactly. The requirement for the 7980XE to run 5GHz is a beefy custom loop (assuming we're doing things properly). And that's a "meager" 18C part. What's the require for 28C? something greater of course!

isn't something an "average overclocker" isn't going to be using. Then again the "average overclocker" doesn't risk ruining the chip just to see how far it goes and won't be using anything but an air cooler or an AIO loop.

I don't think LTT has quite grasped to idea that not everybody will settle for average OCs or "5GHz and that's it". There are some users I can count on my hand who run balls to the walls in benchmarks and 24/7 but that's all it is, a mere handful of users. I have may doubts that any of them would be into running chilled or phase 24/7. Well maybe one...

Although  I'd agree putting something together for sub-ambient cooling isn't all that difficult.

In my instance all I'd have to do is disconnect the MO-RA3 and hook a chiller up. Easy.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

17 minutes ago, pas008 said:

like hello

What you just said does not line up with what Intel has said, the issue is not that it was water cooled or overclocked so you can immediately drop that. No words out of the presenter's mouth consisted of "overclocked" or "water chiller" and at least one of those was supposed to have been said as per Intel's statement, that's the issue.

It doesn't matter how educated I am, what I can see, what I can assume is going on Intel has a duty to state certain bits of information and they failed to do so, and admitted it. Not everyone is me.

To be frank as a systems engineer I work on these server platforms every day, I actually am an expert in the socket being used and the CPU architectures that go in them. Me knowing what I know and being educated and experienced doesn't make a misleading presentation not one because I personally have the ability to assess the situation and know what is going on.

intel only confirmed 28 core wouldnt talk about anything else

had to do a clarified statement because media started to assume things

learn what showmanship is please do happens all the time like I have pointed out earlier

It doesn't matter that all they said was it had 28 cores. They were deceptive in the fact that they ran it out of spec and with an out-of-the-ordinary cooling device without disclosing this.

This is Australian but I cbf finding the American equivalent:

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/advertising-promoting-your-business/false-or-misleading-statements

Some snippets that Intel failed:

"When assessing whether conduct is likely to mislead or deceive, consider whether the overall impression created by the conduct is false or inaccurate."

"It is illegal for a business to make statements that are incorrect or likely to create a false impression."

"Do not:

• omit relevant information"

"When presenting information about products or services to customers, be sure to:

• give current and correct information
  • note important limitations or exemptions
  • correct any misunderstandings"