[UPDATED] VISA is no longer having a technical nightmare as it's payment network crashes in Europe

ItsMitch

Update: 

Visa has apologized for the incident and found it related to a hardware failure (they was probably using Shintel CPUs ayyy)

Earlier today, Visa had a system failure that impacted customers across Europe.

Our goal is to ensure all Visa cards work reliably 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We fell well short of this goal today and we apologise to all of our partners, and most especially, to Visa cardholders.

Visa cardholders can now use their Visa cards as we are currently operating at close to normal levels.

The issue was the result of a hardware failure. We have no reason to believe this was associated with any unauthorised access or malicious event.

Services should begin to return to normal during the next few hours. 

OP

S: BBC 

VISA & Mastercard, you know, that massive tech company that runs almost every debit card on the planet? Yeah that one, are currently facing a technical nightmare as their primary Payment Network has crashed leaving all customers in the EU, UK and Ireland unable to pay anything, move funds or in some cases, withdraw funds. 

Visa have confirmed there is a "service disruption".

"Visa is currently experiencing a service disruption. This incident is preventing some Visa transactions in Europe from being processed. We are investigating the cause and working as quickly as possible to resolve the situation," a spokesperson told Sky News.

Paymentsense, a company that facilitates card payments, has reported that merchants using their service are struggling to take Visa card payments.

The company say on its website that it provides a range of merchant services to over 60,000 independent businesses across the UK and Ireland.

My bank sent out this tweet a few minutes ago. 

This is fairly shitty for everyone because you can't pay any kind of bills, utilities, etc. 

VISA issued this statement on Twitter

According to the Bank of England, the 95% of the UK uses a VISA debit card and it's our last week until holidays, a fairly huge problem. 

This is why you should always carry some cash around with you, I cannot believe the amount of people who don't, one glitch and that is it!  If we allow cash to get obsolete, big brother will always know what you are spending on.

Well, the big banks won't fail, but their websites might.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Why does the title say Visa and MasterCard if only Visa is affected and ATM and MasterCard are not?

2 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

Why does the title say Visa and MasterCard if only Visa is affected and ATM and MasterCard are not?

Some Mastercard users are having issues with transactions also. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/visa-card-payment-down-mastercard-not-working-broken-payment-shop-a8379381.html 

1 minute ago, TigerHawk said:

Ah, in the original BBC article nothing is mentioned about mastercard users having issues.

Ah, had like 5 tabs open checking out the story :P

It's cool, I only use Maestro, Mastercard and Visa... fml.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I can confirm that paying with a VISA card in the UK sometimes does not work :(.

And it's kind of been on and off recently.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

It's cool, I only use Maestro, Mastercard and Visa... fml.

Maestro is processed by Mastercard, it's been the same back end transaction system since 2011.

@SC2Mitch Also, to clarify, VISA is a separate company from MasterCard. VISA is the one having issues with MasterCard allegedly having none at the moment.

MasterCard is a separate American company and VISA is an American company.

Edit: Oh and also, to put in perspective why this is such a huge issue. Allegedly 95% of Bank Cards (debit and credit) in the UK are VISA cards according to the Bank of England.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Fixed mistake

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What makes this worse in the UK is it being friday afternoon on half term. Last weekend to get away before back to school. Madness at services ect.. and most people use Visa card for contactless.. RIP 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

@SC2Mitch Also, to clarify, VISA is a separate company from MasterCard. VISA is the one having issues with MasterCard allegedly having none at the moment.

MasterCard is a French company and VISA is an American company.

Edit: Oh and also, to put in perspective why this is such a huge issue. Allegedly 95% of Bank Cards in the UK are VISA cards according to the Bank of England.

Added to OP, cheers lad. 

This explains why my local Macdonald's had a queue going out of the carpark and into the busy street. I just sat for 15 minutes in traffic from the place and I was only driving past.

I bet it's chaos in there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

36 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

MasterCard is a French company and VISA is an American company.

MasterCard is French? Wouldn't have guessed it :)

56 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

This is why you should always carry some cash around with you, I cannot believe the amount of people who don't, one glitch and that is it!  If we allow cash to get obsolete, big brother will always know what you are spending on.

I rarely carry cash because its easy to misplace or not track what it was spent on. You can til foil hat all you want but who cares if people know I had subway for lunch and bought a new toolset. 

58 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

You can still walk into a bank and ask for a manual withdrawal.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

Maestro is processed by Mastercard, it's been the same back end transaction system since 2011.

You don't say. Hence my reaction.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Doesn't affect Norway :)

EDIT: Some actually are.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

MasterCard is French? Wouldn't have guessed it :)

Oh wait derp nvm -_-. MasterCard is also american but seperate. 

Love Visa because I got it for free from my bank. You have to normally pay a fee for credit cards in Germany. I also love the fact that my money is two days after the payment removed from my bank account. 

Sure there are some without a fee but they are usually prepaid.

10 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Love Visa because I got it for free from my bank. You have to normally pay a fee for credit cards in Germany. I also love the fact that my money is two days after the payment removed from my bank account. 

Edit: What do you mean by "you have to normally pay a fee for credits cards in Germany" ? 

As in an upfront cost?

Sure there are some without a fee but they are usually prepaid.

Somehow also some Debit Cards even have fees lol. I found out one day that a friend had to pay for their debit card cos it had savings with interest so idek.

24 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Love Visa because I got it for free from my bank. You have to normally pay a fee for credit cards in Germany.

Typically you get a free MasterCard or Visa from your bank.

5 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Typically you get a free MasterCard or Visa from your bank.

I have never heard of anyone paying for a card. How much do they cost?