[UPDATED] VISA is no longer having a technical nightmare as it's payment network crashes in Europe

ItsMitch
1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

I have never heard of anyone paying for a card. How much do they cost?

I'm also surprised that @Teddy07 had to pay for a card.

Your bank typically gives you one for free.

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Your bank typically gives you one for free*.

ftfy.

It's not really for free since they know people will be late on their payments and will have to pay interest on their credit. Also some banks do have a transaction fee. And they really make money on people withdrawing cash from credit cards :P.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

ftfy.

It's not really for free since they know people will be late on their payments and will have to pay interest on their credit. Also some banks do have a transaction fee. And they really make money on people withdrawing cash from credit cards :P.

That's typically when you use the card outside the EU.

Most banks don't charge you anything inside the EU, and especially in your own country.

11 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Your bank typically gives you one for free.

I know they do. Just curious what it does cost though 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Edit: What do you mean by "you have to normally pay a fee for credits cards in Germany" ?

You have to pay a yearly fee for your credit card. The amount depends on which credit card you have but let's say the yearly fee is around ~20 €.

49 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Typically you get a free MasterCard or Visa from your bank.

This is not the case in Germany. You get a debit card which includes the Maestro option. It works similar to a credit card but is more restricted. 

I am the only one in my family (5 people) with a credit card. I just got one question.

I can only purchase stuff if I have enough money on my bank account and it will be written off my bank account 2 days after a purchase. I always thought that it will be written off after 30 days so I am not even sure if my Visa card is a real credit card. How does it work for you?

@Christophe Corazza

Germans are known for having no credit because of these two reasons.

I tried to buy a smartphone a few years ago from the google store but I could not because only a credit card was accepted. I asked my parents, sisters and two relatives but nobody had a credit card. 

at least Cryptocurrency (if it was actually used everywhere) doesn't have this problem.

Wait! what if this is a big scheme to promote bitcoin! Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Well this is fun. I just heard and I literally just got up and went to try and get cash out and I actually could at one cash machine.

For the UK readers -  Also MasterCard does seem to be having issues as well. I tried 2 ATM's and neither Visa or MasterCard worked (RBS I think) and 1 Co-op ATM and I was able to use my Visa debit card, didn't try MasterCard as it is Credit.

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wait! what if this is a big scheme to promote bitcoin!

I highly doubt it xD

20 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

You have to pay a yearly fee for your credit card. The amount depends on which credit card you have but let's say the yearly fee is around ~20 €.

This is not the case in Germany. You get a debit card which includes the Maestro option. It works similar to a credit card but is more restricted. 

I am the only one in my family (5 people) with a credit card. I just got one question.

I can only purchase stuff if I have enough money on my bank account and it will be written off my bank account 2 days after a purchase. I always thought that it will be written off after 30 days so I am not even sure if my Visa card is a real credit card. How does it work for you?

@Christophe Corazza

Germans are known for having no credit because of these two reasons.

I tried to buy a smartphone a few years ago from the google store but I could not because only a credit card was accepted. I asked my parents, sisters and two relatives but nobody had a credit card. 

It's the same in Switzerland for everyone and in France for minors.

But yours doesn't seem to be a credit card as well. The whole point of the credit card is that you can spend money you don't have. Debit card on the other hand, you can o of spend what you get and the bank does not allow you to make credits with it.

I'm French studying in Switzerland and I've never noticed a difference between the two to be fair. That's because I keep my balance in order! Basically the only difference is when you get your card stolen and when you don't have any money left on your accounts. In the latter case, you can still pay and get a negative balance. You'll then pay fees accordingly as interests from the bank (not good). In some countries that also means that you cannot pay on the internet with it either (like in Switzerland), which make that type of card somewhat attractive in the sense that if someone steals it they really cannot do anything with it without the PIN code.

18 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

For the UK readers -  Also MasterCard does seem to be having issues as well. I tried 2 ATM's and neither Visa or MasterCard worked (RBS I think) and 1 Co-op ATM and I was able to use my Visa debit card, didn't try MasterCard as it is Credit

FeelsBad, About to go town to Tesco for some food but their ATMs are down and credit card machines are fucked :(

And they said bitcoin would be affected if the internet went offline. 

Just look at these big, "legit" banks.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 hour ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Typically you get a free MasterCard or Visa from your bank.

Not in Germany. You get a "Girocard" which works in German ATMs and shops, but it's not even a full debit card - it doesn't have a card number, for example, but just your bank account number printed on it, and has no security code on the back (in other words: can't be used for online purchases).

It's not like in other countries where banks typically give you a Visa Electron / Maestro full-fledged debit card with your account.

You can, of course, get a credit card (which I also got for free in Spain), and they'll try hard to convince you to, but you'll have to pay its fee (my bank would highlight "free for 1 year", but afterwards it was €49/year).

There's a reason Germans are still crazy about bank transfers (similar to how Americans are strangely in love with checks) :P 

it's the first day of the month, everyone received the paycheck already, just use cash. Shit happens even to ViSA. People make big deals out of everything.

My BMO (canada) card has been getting rejected all week randomly.  It seems to have stopped as of 2 days ago tho.  Seems everyone in my town was getting rejected

VISA IT be like:

spongebob.gif.dbd395aaea745eaf9c39c598322bfb3d.gif

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

This is why you should always carry some cash around with you, I cannot believe the amount of people who don't, one glitch and that is it!  If we allow cash to get obsolete, big brother will always know what you are spending on.

Thanks for the advice Pops.

Ooooh, so that's why Android Pay suddenly stopped working, but I could still pay using the physical card. Interesting.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

42 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, but when you buy from legit stores you're still logging it.

true

I have a Cielo and a Mastercard.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Update: 

Visa has apologized for the incident and found it related to a hardware failure (they was probably using Shintel CPUs ayyy)

Earlier today, Visa had a system failure that impacted customers across Europe.

Our goal is to ensure all Visa cards work reliably 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We fell well short of this goal today and we apologise to all of our partners, and most especially, to Visa cardholders.

Visa cardholders can now use their Visa cards as we are currently operating at close to normal levels.

The issue was the result of a hardware failure. We have no reason to believe this was associated with any unauthorised access or malicious event.

Services should begin to return to normal during the next few hours. 

@SC2Mitch

Not sure which part of the infrastructure failed (no time to read at this moment), however VISA runs a lot of IBM stuff as well.

They use a lot of IBMz stuff, especially for security and fast payment processing. Though IBM z Systems hardly ever fail.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

As an american currently in Switzerland, this affected me heavily and frustratingly last night. Nothing would work and I didnt have cash on hand because Zurich works great with contactless. Was so confused and frustrated when I couldn't figure out a way to pay for groceries without taking my spare us cash to an exchange.

Thankfully it's been working again the last couple of hours.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I vote start trading using llamas :D 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, DaRk0 said:

@SC2Mitch

Not sure which part of the infrastructure failed (no time to read at this moment), however VISA runs a lot of IBM stuff as well.

They use a lot of IBMz stuff, especially for security and fast payment processing. Though IBM z Systems hardly ever fail.

VISA didn't specify what kind of infrastructure failed to the press, sadly.