AMD Says you have to use stock coolers to keep your warranty.

i think it's just lawyers talk, any product's warranty it's only valid if you use it as intended by the manufacturer. Any product contains a mention about this.

Still i don't think they plan on enforcing this. How would they even know what kind of cooler you used? CSI PCMasterRace?

Actually, it isn't even legal to void a warranty on that basis, AMD knows it. The warning is really more of a formality in lawyer speak. The only way the warranty can be voided is if the claim made is a result of damage caused by the aftermarket cooler. If a stock cooler is used then you are fully covered. The correct reading is that if cooling related damage happens, and you use an aftermarket cooler, then the warranty is voided.

The federal law governing this in the US was originally made to protect drivers from being forced to use very expensive dealer parts instead of doing parts themselves. The car as a whole cannot be voided, just damage as a result of the modification, and the modification itself.

1. This is anti-consumer, not anti-competitive
  2. AMD can't legally enforce this anyway
  3. Please fix your post to match the guidelines

I'm imagining that they won't cover the warranty if the mounting pressure from your 1.5 kg piece of metal hanging from the side via a dodgy mounting mechanism kills the CPU. That's what the language cited is about.

7 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

Are you really going to need a cpu warranty?

Yes, if the cpu is DOA or defective.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

I never RTFM, nobody got time for that. Wing it, what could go wrong.

Seriously though I basically never do, not unless it's something I've never worked on before.

Even then it's mostly common sense, and I don't know how it used to be, but in recent years, it has been rather easy. You really have to be working at LMG to tho k you need to put thermal paste first and break something ;)

It seems the hardest part is to make it look nice, or to do it in small cases with bigs hands :P

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

No but anti competitive is better because it can be argued at a later date that Nvidia is allowed to do their shut because AMD is anti competitive as well. Duh ;)

12 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Even then it's mostly common sense, and I don't know how it used to be, but in recent years, it has been rather easy. You really have to be working at LMG to tho k you need to put thermal paste first and break something ;)

It seems the hardest part is to make it look nice, or to do it in small cases with bigs hands :P

And not drop it or have it fall off a table xD

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

This is not even anti consumer, it's nothing.  Its standard practice at best.  It's just a manufacturer saying if you replace an integral component with something we didn't manufacture or approve then we cant guarantee it won't break.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

and how would they know? they cant know if you used an aftermarket cooler or their cooler if you rma it

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And not drop it or have it fall off a table xD

I'm surprised they haven't done a drop test yet like some people (for some reason) with phones! Of course it wouldn't be intentional, but when you have dropped half of them, better turn this into a good video !

This doesn't seem something classified as anti-competitive though. Not like ot would have been known as well. Also it may be something that needs clearing from website and manual maybe. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

this really isnt anticompetative unless you mean against themselves, it is however anti consumer. not like they will be able to tell what cooler you had on there generally so dosent matter does it?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

fake news, nothing wrong with AMD, only nvidia/intel

3 minutes ago, yian88 said:

I don't think you understand what fake news is. It's not synonymous with "incorrect news". xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, yian88 said:

It's not fake news, it's just typical, irrelevant and sensationalized news.  Like all the news we seem to get these days. 

Also this has nothing to do with Intel or Nvidia exactly so why bring them up?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's not fake news, it's just typical, irrelevant and sensationalized news.  Like all the news we seem to get these days. 

It's at least "fake title", though:

1. It's not (just) "AMD" (see for example this link)
  2. It's not "now" (see for example the date in the previous link)
  3. It's not "anti-competitive" (seems like a random "stuff that sounds bad" term thrown around - see numerous previous posts)

Still, probably it's better described as "nothingburger" than "fake news" :P 

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's at least "fake title", though:

1. It's not (just) "AMD" (see for example this link)
  2. It's not "now" (see for example the date in the previous link)
  3. It's not "anti-competitive" (seems like a random "stuff that sounds bad" term thrown around - see numerous previous posts)

Still, probably it's better described as "nothingburger" than "fake news" :P 

Fake news is news that is made up to promote a non existent ideal.  This is real news that has been twisted and had terms thrown at it to make it sound like something bigger than it is.  I definitely agree it is a nothing burger, but it is not fakenews. 

This is just to cover their arses when someone uses a completely homebuilt watercooling setup that pisses water on the CPU, then they try and get it replaced under warranty.

It's not really meant for your average joe who buys a Hyper 212.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

I am not happy about this. Even if they decide to still warranty CPUs of consumers that do not follow these bullshit rules, I still hate this legal ass covering.

I love AMD they are much more friendly to the open source community and open standards than the other big players in the industry. However, its importand to call out anti consumer practices to stop stuff like this in their tracks.

47 minutes ago, yian88 said:

I really hope you’re joking.

They all pull this

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

25 minutes ago, anotherriddle said:

I am not happy about this. Even if they decide to still warranty CPUs of consumers that do not follow these bullshit rules, I still hate this legal ass covering.

I love AMD they are much more friendly to the open source community and open standards than the other big players in the industry. However, its importand to call out anti consumer practices to stop stuff like this in their tracks.

Im sure AMD is going see this thread and be like "oh shit guys" and change everything all because of one warranty controversy that has been around for years. 

BTW bolding certain words is distracting.

Please fix the clickbait title and correct it to actually what it supposed to say. Its supposed to be Anti-consumer not anit-competetive

On a another note: im pretty shure a lot of good companies take in things even though it is outside of warranty. 

This is more for when someone orders a 9 watt cooler from ebay and complains their threadripper died

So, when did AMD enter the aftermarket cooling segment?

Where can I get a Wraith Spire with the mounting hardware for for my 4460? The stock Intel cooler sucks.

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

So, when did AMD enter the aftermarket cooling segment?

Where can I get a Wraith Spire with the mounting hardware for for my 4460? The stock Intel cooler sucks.

/s

It is called zip ties....