Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

7 minutes ago, rose64bit said:

@GabenJr I am currently in the process of training to be a certified AppleCare Technician.  If I’m not mistaken, getting this certification would allow me to access Apple’s Global Service Exchange, or GSX, which is their internal portal for component purchases at wholesale.  I’d be more than happy to help, considering LTT has inspired me to love technology even more, and a main influence for me to start pursuing the AppleCare Technician certification.

By the way, a lot of posts on this forum say that there’s no repair manual yet for the iMac Pro.  I’m pretty sure that’s not true.  I’m pretty sure I remember looking through it.

Make sure you read all the paperwork your agreeing to. You cannot create case files for units without obtaining proper paperwork and doing your vmi. Which means if the unit and owner are not in the run with you, you cannot order parts and your sponsor company will be severely penalized for any infraction.

There is the repair guide on gsx, but the 2017 iMac pro certification on ATLAS is not showing up for Canadian techs which means Canadian techs cannot process the repair order.  

I would contact the manufacturer of the panel, which in this case is probably LG, however its a pretty long shot already. 

Making a clickbait video about Apple's process (When its not really their fault) is being a little bit childish, but understandable. 

Your only other option is to find another faulty iMac Pro with an intact screen. 

How is this even possible/allowed? In EU we have so many rules preventing "over consumption" of products (started a decade ago with the same charging cables across brands, planned obsolescence, etc.), having a new product that, when broken, cannot be repaired, is beyond understanding. What a waste, of money for sure, but especially a waste for the Earth. American way at its finest.

?  I Agree with Keith W..  How about a Joint repair video with The Rossmanator..?  ?

Apple has always had the problem of ignoring laws, both local and global. They simply have a single set of rules for all employees to follow. They DON'T provide spare parts for anything that's NOT classified as warranty repair or minor damage. They also have a monkey-list you have to follow when servicing their merchandise. I never followed it, because "fuck them". As a previous A.Tech - you are SOL.

If you want to replace the display you'll need a backlight compatible with THEIR inverter (not gonna happen) AND you need a display backplane with a compatible cable (not very likely either since it's highly proprietary for several "fuck the customer" reasons).

You can of course get it up and running without a display (use an external display) - just be sure it's set to "Mirror Display" or you'll have an inaccessible display that will eat your windows :)

Footnote: I'm so happy I'm NOT working for them anymore. Apple are an asshole company to work for.

This is stupid, but buy another, swap screens and send back the new one with a broken screen and ask for a refund within days  just to see what happens? They might deduct the damage from the refund?

I repeat, This is stupid but it might be interesting to see what happens!

I would just send it to Louis Rossman.....

Throw him a bone, feature 'm, etc.

Edited by DataStorm

What about contacting iFixit for information? They must have already done a teardown of this and know the thing inside and out. They could probably recommend suitable replacement parts and where to get them. Not to mention it would be a great reason to sell them a sponsor spot (and earn back some of the cost of the new parts) if you do a video of Linus repairing it with their iFixit tool kit.

13 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

13 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Hey man, I work at Apple under the AppleCare department. I find it a bit odd/ strange  that you have to go through this bs on getting the parts for the repair. The only possible thing I can think of for why the repair was refused is due to costs are beyond economic repair. If you want, I can do some digging and see if I can help in any way I can. My other advise is to contact Customer Relations dept. if you have not done so already.

14 hours ago, antho199 said:

I got confused with the PSU part(didn't get if it was broken or not), but if it isn't and you really need to do some testing other than with the display itself, I guess you could try plugging an external monitor  to it. If you need to recover data from it, use a usb c to firewire with an old MAC and start the iMac pro with the 'T' key pressed down, it will show up as an external HDD to the other computer.

They want to sell it on Craigslist

I dislike simultaneous releases

I know you may had already think of this. But if, you can´t find the original 5k replacement, then the only solution will be to buy, the same imac either used one or a non funtioning one ( but with a WORKING display that you can test) and replace the internals, except the display obviously.

I think you need to contact LG for a new panel. LG is curently making al the screans for every company: Apple, samsung, etc...

Check this guy out. He's hobbiest that makes phones from scratch in china where the possibilities are endless. I'm  sure he would be able to obtain the parts needed. In one of his vids he rebuild the lcd display  from scratch. Etc... lots of trial and errors. Not a tech know all. But linus if you reach out to him I'm  confident he could find the parts.

is there a way you can claim on your business insurance against accidental damage? 

you can take out the ssd's and fit them into the new imac pro.

What parts exactly are Brocken ???

you mark be able to Frankenstein a few parts together out of the 5k Imac model 

Just putting my nose in here. I get what @DrMacintosh is saying about LTT voiding their warranty and any right for repair by taking the iMac Pro appart. But what I don't get is that the iMac Pro is like some 1998 Ford Focus where you need to take the whole front of the car appart to change the oil filter if Ford was to be so d**k that taking the front of the car appart to change the oil filter would void every warranty and right of repair only because their desing was so awful.

But it's Apple we are talking about. Making a hatch behind the iMac Pro for changing/upgrading your RAM, storage or CPU would be "ugly" (*cough cough* they couldn't rip you off for their "licenced, special, magic Apple parts" *cough cough*) even though they are not soldered to the board and clearly made to be changeable. I well remember the time Apple sold a GPU upgrade for 1st gen Mac Pro and it was just ordinary EVGA GeForce Quadro packed with a CD including UEFI update to whiteflag that GPU model, the point was that CD costed the customer almost as much as the GPU (IIRC that Quadro costed around 2000€ from normal store where Apple sold it with the CD around 4000€). If you tried to go and just buy the exact same EVGA Quadro and install it, your Mac Pro wouldn't start because it's UEFI was blocking the GPU, manage to get the UEFI update on that CD and no problems. With iMac Pro we are in the same place, now it's about greedy design instead of greedy software.

Hi Guys,

I am working for an Apple Premium Service Provider here in Germany and I have to say that we already got our certifications on any Mac repairs. These include the new iMac Pro for which I am the only one having the latest certification. My company is able to order the parts in the out of warranty status if an iMac Pro is brougt to us for a repair. The only thing I don't know about is how long the part will take to arrive because Apple does not provide this information to us. But the thing is that I can repair the iMac without losing any certification and the price for the display unis is ok too. If you've got further questions about this feel free to ask :-)

Best regards from Germany

Niklas

I recomand buying a new one,or maybe 5-6 new ones,also tell all your friends to buy a couple new apple products,they are realy good,everybody beleaves that,must be true.

Also you could try to stick a watter cooler system on the cracked screen see if that helps.

@LinusTech 

Apple will refuse to work on your hardware if they determine that there has been some form of modification to the device. This is usually verify-able through close inspection of the internals. (scratched screws, wires routed incorrectly, adhesive not properly applied)

- In these circumstances, Apple will decline to repair your product. This is mostly due to liability issues, as any repair done on Apple Hardware comes with its own warranty. Lets say they replace that display, but it still doesnt work? now Apple is on the hook for replacing additional components...

That being said, I highly doubt they will decline a repair because they dont have the parts. It kind of sounds like there was some miscommunication that occurred. 

- As far as AASPs go, they can offer to repair the product, as they don't often mind ordering parts, regardless of what may have happened to your computer (they want to make money.)

I think for your case, it would make sense to reach out to an AASP who is certified to order and repair your computer. alternatively, if you can find the display on the market (pretty hard to do as its pretty new) then you can try repairing it yourself. 

As far as the whole "why cant they sell me the parts?" There is currently a movement in the US Gov. towards forcing manufactures to allow customer to repair their own products.   Its called the Right to Repair Bill...Maybe the current status quo will change...time will tell. 

I was a technician at an AASP for 6 years. If you don’t mind shipping the iMac to New York, I’m sure my old workplace would accommodate you guys. We were always up to date on certifications. You can contact me if you want and I can get in touch. Send me an email.