Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Try DIY ing the display unit as pannel was not made by apple itself may be you can contact the manufacturer of pannel and PSU for parts like LG etc they might have some sort of solution else try using parts from old Mac and modify the kernel

1 minute ago, Cajmo said:

Isn't it the same screen as on the 5K iMac? Couldn't you just get a screen for that?

Apparently it's ever so slightly different...

Main rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (FE) | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 | Storage: 512GB Crucial SSD (Ubuntu 23.04) | Case: Corsair 400C |

Laptop: 2023 MacBook Pro 14" | 12 core M2 Pro | 32 GB Unified Memory |

NAS: Synology DS216+II

I think I know someone with the ability to get this only if he pulls some strings

I would look into a 5K replacement screen for the regular 5k iMac and see if that is compatible with the iMac Pro. Both products have 27in 5k Displays.  

6 minutes ago, Cajmo said:

Isn't it the same screen as on the 5K iMac? Couldn't you just get a screen for that?

the lcd panels are the same but the mounts/cable arrangement is different

@GabenJr 

Unfortunately I don't have any contacts that could help but I suggest you note down the part numbers of the components needed and contact the manufactures explaining the situation and kindly asking for replacements, this will take a long time but I think this is the only way you are going to do a DIY repair on it.

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, Xeo13 said:

I would look into a 5K replacement screen for the regular 5k iMac and see if that is compatible with the iMac Pro. Both products have 27in 5k Displays.  

as @Haktar mentioned, the iMac Pro screen has other mounting points. it has also another part-number.

Hope you guys get this worked out. This is part of why there isn't a single Apple device in my home. :P

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

If attaching the display is the only problem then we can get a Generic 5k display with driver board and hardwire it internally to display port @GabenJr

I got confused with the PSU part(didn't get if it was broken or not), but if it isn't and you really need to do some testing other than with the display itself, I guess you could try plugging an external monitor  to it. If you need to recover data from it, use a usb c to firewire with an old MAC and start the iMac pro with the 'T' key pressed down, it will show up as an external HDD to the other computer.

@GabenJr @LinusSebastian well I dont know if that might help in any way. But what about going "to the press" with this to get some force on apple. If it gets published that even apple isnt able to repair their own products maybe that will get some peoples attention?! Make some Shitstorm where you can, I know apple isnt in social media but maybe that will help somehow. Write official complaints about this to their complaints mail, open multiple cases on apple support, write to their press department, whatever. 

Greets

Nice video: My suggestion is to basically bully them: Get MKBHD, Austin, etc. To make noise about them and shame them into doing something. I mean the multiple millions of views this video should get (And I actually do encourage people to like and share the video this time) should be just the first taste but it should be scorched earth on them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, antho199 said:

I got confused with the PSU part(didn't get if it was broken or not), but if it isn't and you really need to do some testing other than with the display itself, I guess you could try plugging an external monitor  to it. If you need to recover data from it, use a usb c to firewire with an old MAC and start the iMac pro with the 'T' key pressed down, it will show up as an external HDD to the other computer.

They need it repaired for future LTT videos.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Just now, RobDie said:

@GabenJr @LinusSebastian well I dont know if that might help in any way. But what about going "to the press" with this to get some force on apple. If it gets published that even apple isnt able to repair their own products maybe that will get some peoples attention?! Make some Shitstorm where you can, I know apple isnt in social media but maybe that will help somehow. Write official complaints about this to their complaints mail, open multiple cases on apple support, write to their press department, whatever. 

Greets

It's @LinusTech btw :) 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I'm a senior advisor for Concentrix Canada and I deal daily with product like iPhone, iPad and iMac. (can't say anything mode due to NDA but I guess you can figure out what is my job) As a senior I deal with stuff like that and actually there is a department for customer relation for when the issue is not only tech related. Would love to take the case but I'm doing support mainly for the french queue.

There's a company in Baltimore called BPAI you should be able to google their number. They have had spare parts for everything I've ever tried to fix.