Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

9 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Hey, I am an Apple Certified Mac Technician. I am from Virginia in the US. I just went into Apple's Global Service Exchange and I can see all the parts you need. I can't just send you the parts, but I have been watching your videos since you were still filming at the old house. It would be my honor to work on your Mac Pro. If you sent the unit to us, we could definitely fix it and send it back to you.

Call Apple Support. With the serial number they will be able to locate all of the case history. Ask to speak with customer relations and explain the situation to them. They are usually able to help with these situations. 

Go to China, Shenzhen, Huaqiangbei and ask the shady people on the streets.

They can get pretty much anything ever made or not made yet or not gonna ever be made.

11 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

AFAIK They are not showing any bias though.  From the explanation given they argue they just don’t have the parts.  For what it’s worth I call shenanigans, but that’s what they argue, or did at the moment of filming.

Also again this is Canada, but as far as the US is concerned I believe you are absolutely allowed to deny service to anyone as long as you are not doing to on grounds of discriminating due to a protected class/type.  Once more IANAL, but that is my thoughts, do you have a reference on what you said for the US or Canada?  If so first he would have to prove that they are lying about the parts, then try that angle.

Ok... I missed the part that Apple position is "we don't have the parts" 
I was thought they were denying a service based on how LTT used it.

However, yes you can't discriminate based on classes (race, sex etc) but that isn't what I was referring to.
There is another legal principal that is a Fair Trade Practice issue.
(IF) Apple deny paid repair service to people who mod their Macs that's a restriction on what a customer can do with a product they own 100% (and paid a eFFton to do so).
Some people argue that you shouldn't "make" apple perform paid-repairs, after all they are turning down $$. However this law is in place because there are a lot of products where the Supplier control all or most of the repair shops.

7 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

First of all they don’t, they said he could go to an AASP if they had the parts they could repair.  Apple themselves don’t make most of the parts, and anyone can make a third party part like OWC does for some SSDs.  If you have a further source verifying what you said please post though.

They did refuse, says right there on the invoice in all caps "APPLE DECLINED REPAIR-INT" 

They also have never sent this parts to any AASPs, no AASPs are approved for it, so it's impossible for them to have the part on hand. Them referring you to an option that's not actually an option because of their actions is constructively a refusal on their part.

I wish I had more detailed sources, but I'm coming up dry. These things are not normally handled publicly, to avoid a PR stink any manufacture caught up in this kind of issue will throw enough money at the customer to make them happy but only on the condition they sign an NDA about the settlement terms.

I can tell you that I know for a fact this is why Tesla has been forced to start selling parts through certain channels but is pricing them exorbitantly high instead. They initially tried to say there was no spare supply as everything was going into new production but got smacked down hard. I don't have any documentation of that though.

11 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

Second according to them, they aren’t refusing repair, as much as stating the parts aren’t available.  I think that is shady, and call shenanigans, but even if your interpretation of the law is correct which I highly doubt it wouldn’t matter.

Their opinion on whether or not they're refusing doesn't matter. They also didn't actually say they can't get the part themselves, but even if they had it should have been a matter of a back order and waiting, not a flat out refusal. 

Literally have a 5k Imac laying around here that I have been meaning to part out (its been sitting for months), I am not sure if the parts would work for you though everything is in working order except the logic board failed. The psu , 5k screen and other components are working though.

20180417_223635[1].jpg

20180129_194340[1].jpg

20180129_204737[1].jpg

20180417_223323[1].jpg

20180417_223335[1].jpg

20180417_223331[1].jpg

20180417_223347[1].jpg

20180417_223512[1].jpg

20180417_223408[1].jpg

33 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

AFAIK They are not showing any bias though.  From the explanation given they argue they just don’t have the parts.  For what it’s worth I call shenanigans, but that’s what they argue, or did at the moment of filming.

Also again this is Canada, but as far as the US is concerned I believe you are absolutely allowed to deny service to anyone as long as you are not doing to on grounds of discriminating due to a protected class/type.  Once more IANAL, but that is my thoughts, do you have a reference on what you said for the US or Canada?  If so first he would have to prove that they are lying about the parts, then try that angle.

I believe this would circle back to the same monopoly issue. They can't refuse anyone because there is no where else for someone who was refused to go by their design, they are the sole supplier of these replacement parts.

@GabenJr@LinusTech

Hey Guys,

I work as a service tech at a PSP up north and I'm shocked you're having so much trouble getting service for your unit! Normally in a situation like this, they would charge you heavily for the parts but they should still allow an AASP or PSP to process the repair.

If you still haven't found a fix, send me a DM with more info. I would love to help!

9 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Ifixit may help

EVeryones gonna tell me "not worth it dude" but honestly, Sue Apple.

theres a law that states you are allowed to open your own device to attempt repairs, and that does not void the warranty. essentially "warranty void if removed" stickers are a hoax. 

That, or call Wozniac directly. i bet he knows a guy. and considering his backround when he started... he'd probably be sympathetic.

Edit: i went ahead and did that.
https://twitter.com/Teh__BuG/status/986475119500443648

10 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Remember Louis Rossmann? He deals with this stuff for a living and offers worldwide mail-in service. Maybe you should give his website a visit or call him. Or you could build a Hackintosh, you'd have more success than I would.

Hi LTT,
I am a servicer myself. Unfortunately, I do not know what the legal issue in Canada looks like. But for me in Poland, the manufacturer, even in the case of repairs outside the warranty, is obliged to make (payable) repairs within 5 years of the device's production. If he is unable to meet this period, he is obliged to return the money or replace the equipment with a new one.

In your case if contact with the apple store did not solve the problem and contact with the customer service office also did not help. I would recommend old-fashioned complaints through social media. Introduce your case to your apple account preferably within a generally visible post.

From my experience, I can say that even in the case of a customer who is not right, the manufacturers make repairs faster and sometimes even under warranty. This is for a simple reason. The marketing department deals with this matter as a priority for the service department.

I hope this will help even a tinny bit.

CptPeterPL

I had an out of warranty pair of Beats Solo Wireless that broke (I sat on them). I took them to the Apple shop and they said they couldn't repair them as they were out of warranty. I told them I will pay for the repair, they refused.

Two months later I had a flood at home and a bunch of stuff got damaged. The Beats were also in a box that got wet. I made a claim to the insurance company for everything in the box, including the Beats. The insurance company said I needed to get a repair quote from Apple in order to pay the insurance for the headphones.

I went back to apple, with exactly the same headphones and told them I had had a flood and in order to claim for "damage" to my Beats, I needed an official repair quotation. BINGO!! I got a repair quotation. I asked the guy can I use this quote to have my Beats repaired and he said yes.

I left the Beats with them and 1 week later Apple couriered me a BRAND NEW SET of Beats, even though the warranty was over 2 years past. The repair cost was less than the cost of a new set of Beats.

So Linus, why not go to the Apple shop and tell them you need a quotation for repair of your iMac Pro in order to claim from your insurance company and see if that works for you.

11 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I'm in Australia, but may be able to help if you can get the board here.

At the end of the video, I heard "screen, main board and psu".

Is that because the lvds connector was ripped off the mainboard?

What usually happens is the screen drops off the frame, yanks the cables and ruins your day, correct?

I have repaired these before, not this exact model but I have repaired IMac motherboards where the connector has been ripped off them. Including where circuit tracks were ripped, or second layer traces had to be reconnected. I have access to professional equipment including a microscope I use for this exact work.

So if you plan on replacing the board anyway, and can get it to me and the broken connectors, I may be able to repair it for you.

I cannot know for sure until I see the damage, but if this is helpful at all please send me a message.

Not sure about getting a screen, however I'll check with our suppliers and see if this part is available yet.

Edited by Garnham
Autocorrect nonsense

http://fcc.gov
Explain to them what happened and they should be able to help it may take a few days but I can guarantee something will get done

1 minute ago, MaskedMountain said:

http://fcc.gov
Explain to them what happened and they should be able to help it may take a few days but I can guarantee something will get done

Wrong country lol

who is the former repair technician mentioned at the end of the video? This seems like an odd point to make just out of the blue, did I miss some context?

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’ll bite the bait

Don’t break something and then expect the company that made it be obligated to fix it just because “you are willing to pay them.” 

No, this is not the same as crashing a car since this machine had whatever insurance (the warranty and or Apple Care) it had voided the moment LTT decided to open it and in doing so they revoked their right to a repair. End of story. 

I will not be responding to any quotes or @‘s 

That's nonsense. And would be illegal in the UK.

I buy a car and only the manufacturer has the parts I need to fix it. But has no idea how to supply it plus can't recommend any third party service repairs. Mainly as they don't like third party repairs.

As for that Rufus video response. He's got an annoying voice and needs to change it.

It's a simple non warranty repair.

What's hard to understand?

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

Have you tried emailing Tim Cook directly? I’ve heard good things on forums about stuff getting resolved if you take it directly to the CEO himself. Hell, someone even got Apple’s hold music changed because it was too loud through just sending him an email. Tim Cook was unaware and fixed the problem right then and there. Fairly simple email tcook@apple.com. It’s worth a shot. 

@GabenJr I am currently in the process of training to be a certified AppleCare Technician.  If I’m not mistaken, getting this certification would allow me to access Apple’s Global Service Exchange, or GSX, which is their internal portal for component purchases at wholesale.  I’d be more than happy to help, considering LTT has inspired me to love technology even more, and a main influence for me to start pursuing the AppleCare Technician certification.

By the way, a lot of posts on this forum say that there’s no repair manual yet for the iMac Pro.  I’m pretty sure that’s not true.  I’m pretty sure I remember looking through it.