Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

So why exactly is psu and logic board needed for a cracked display? this very well may be the reason apple refused to fix it. Ive been in the repair business for quite some time. Im not a apple product owner but apple products are about 65% of my business. I have had this very issue many times with very new imacs and macbook pros that required full board swaps. More than likely they simply do not have them available at this time. Could be for a number of reasons, more than likely sourcing specific components to complete the assembly of the boards (ram, various ic's, cpu, etc). Now if this imac needs just a panel and only a panel thats totally unacceptable as all apple screens apart from the iphone x are made by at least 1-4 different display manufactures, LG, Toshiba, and Sharp being the big 3 for them, but for imacs they are primarily LG made panels and its very unlikely that lg didnt make a surplus of these 5k panels for this particular imac. usually its logic boards on the newest apple products that end up not being available right away. As for sourcing these parts good luck, theyre just flat out not out there right now :<

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not sure about Nvidia directly though EVGA for example doesn't care as long as you can prove the card was defective before you took it apart.

Yeah that analogy is bad too though it should have been covered with Applecare or the existing 1 year warranty,especially for such an expensive computer that is now a paperweight. It doesn't make sense for Apple to make a enthusiast/pro level desktop that fits standardized hardware yet won't let you upgrade it, and it isn't their fault for accidentally breaking an incredibly fragile glass screen that Apple should have spare parts for.

PSU and Logic board would have been covered. Them breaking the glass would never have been covered under the Warranty as it's considered accidental damages.
I think they said they didn't purchase AppleCare+ when they bought it (which covers accidental damages).

Tho the store was still willing to work on it, even tho they told them they opened it up and broke the glass if the paid the (enormous) Out of Warranty expense

Just now, PewlettHackard said:

Actually, that's wrong. In the United States they'd have broken the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which prohibits, among other things, manufacturers from refusing service simply because someone else worked on it. 

They are in canada, Laws may differ.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Only AppleCare covers accidental damage, which they should have bought if they knew they were going to be doing this level of fuckery with this thing.

And the one time I've used AppleCare on my iPhone, they were fucking awesome.

AppleCare would not cover this, they'd consider it intentional (since they intentionally took the screen off before accidentally dropping it). Would be out of pocket either way.

Just now, TechViper said:

They are in canada, Laws may differ.

I know that, but the guy I replied to said they wouldn't have broken anything in the US either.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not sure about Nvidia directly though EVGA for example doesn't care as long as you can prove the card was defective before you took it apart.

Irrelevant. LTT broke the iMac as a result of opening it and messing with it internally. 

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah that analogy is bad too though it should have been covered with Applecare or the existing 1 year warranty,especially for such an expensive computer that is now a paperweight.

Apple Care and the 1 year Warranty does not cover Consumer destruction/damage to/of the product. 

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

that Apple should have spare parts for.

I don't think anyone denies that Apple should have had spare parts by day one.

The issue here is that people do not want to admit that LTT caused this issue and Apple is not obligated to fix LTTs mistakes when Apple has customers who have not voided their warranties and have machines that need to be serviced for legitimate reasons. Aka hardware failures or defects, not damage as a result of messing with the internals of a machine. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, ForumTryhard said:

throw it away because it's apple

xD!!!!!!

Ok, here's my take:

Just hook up an external monitor to it from Apple (like the USB c 5k display) to get similar performance numbers. Someone tell me if that is a bad idea/not how it works. 

4 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

Actually, that's wrong. In the United States they'd have broken the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which prohibits, among other things, manufacturers from refusing service simply because someone else worked on it. 

"worked on it" is not the issue here, LTT broke the Mac. That Act, based on your description, is not applicable to this situation. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Does the action the FTA has taken against APPLE (USA) this week have an impact on this??? 
Basically the FTA have told APPLE they CAN'T place restrictions on what customers do with their products after they've purchased them!!

Nerd Alert story about my comment

Powerbook medic doesnt really have imac parts beyond 2015 iirc, i didnt even bother checking for that reason. ebay's got nothin as well which means parts probably just arent available at all, and likely will not be a doable repair for at least a year or two outside of apple, this imac is stupid expensive, probably will have a limited run.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

The issue here is that people do not want to admit that LTT caused this issue and Apple is not obligated to fix LTTs mistakes when Apple has customers who have not voided their warranties and have machines that need to be serviced for legitimate reasons. Aka hardware failures or defects, not damage as a result of messing with the internals of a machine. 

You're not getting it. These stores aren't telling Apple HQ whether it's for warranty work or not, they can't get the parts period because to order the parts they must have a tech with a special certification and the special certification does not exist.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Only AppleCare covers accidental damage, which they should have bought if they knew they were going to be doing this level of fuckery with this thing.

Yeah I agree though, if I were going to as much as open up the thing i'd get accidental coverage for sure. It's way too easy to break something or brick the whole thing when Apple of course made it so you can't open it.

3 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

I have seen many people stating this.  That covers warranties, this is no longer a warranty issue.

That covers you being able to use a third party/third party products to repair a product and as long as it can’t be proven it was the third party product that caused the damage they can’t refuse warranty solely because of that.

Powerbook medic doesnt really have imac parts beyond 2015 iirc, i didnt even bother checking for that reason. ebay's got nothin as well which means parts probably just arent available at all, and likely will not be a doable repair for at least a year or two outside of apple, this imac is stupid expensive, probably will have a limited run.

"worked on it" is not the issue here, LTT broke the Mac. That Act, based on your description, is not applicable to this situation. 

It absolutely is. If you think you can handle a car repair yourself, fail to repair it and damage something, then you take the car to a dealership and pay the dealership to repair it, the dealership is not allowed to refuse out of spite because you didn't pay them to do it in the first place.

3 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

AppleCare would not cover this, they'd consider it intentional (since they intentionally took the screen off before accidentally dropping it). Would be out of pocket either way.

It'd be an interesting test, but I suspect Apple would probably cover it anyways.  Their goal wasn't to intentionally break the thing, so that's an accident.  But the "normal use" part gets sticky.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, demonofelru said:

I have seen many people stating this.  That covers warranties, this is no longer a warranty issue.

That covers you being able to use a third party/third party products to repair a product and as long as it can’t be proven it was the third party product that caused the damage they can’t refuse warranty solely because of that.

That law covers more than warranties, you need to read more than the title.

2 minutes ago, J.Sites said:

you are right, now checking the supplies are limited.

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

It'd be an interesting test, but I suspect Apple would probably cover it anyways.  Their goal wasn't to intentionally break the thing, so that's an accident.  But the "normal use" part gets sticky.

I've been on the other end of that kind of call and denied it. Was a phone they'd tried to replace the screen on themselves.

1 minute ago, PewlettHackard said:

You're not getting it. These stores aren't telling Apple HQ whether it's for warranty work or not, they can't get the parts period because to order the parts they must have a tech with a special certification and the special certification does not exist.

In order for a store to get parts they need a reason. "Linus broke his iMac Pro trying to disassemble it" does not count as a good reason to send a part to Apple HQ. 

These certifications are needed for repairs, true, but if LTT had not voided their warranty intentionally, Apple could have worked with them to get a replacement. Doing so would get around the issue of not having replacement parts and people ready to service the machine. 

You guys keep arguing about warranty? hell no this isnt warranty but apple offers out of warranty repair on all of its devices, for a repair fee of course, its not free. Now its not unknown for apple to flat out refuse people in the past or do really crappy repair jobs like simple board swaps without a single care for the customers personal data they want recovered.. but accidental damage cause by intentionally opening the the device has always been an acceptable reason to have a out of warranty repair approved. usually repairs are denied now days when the customer simply cant provide proof of ownership, or the damage is simply too far damaged to warrant repair vs replacement. 

5 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

That law covers more than warranties, you need to read more than the title.

I did, it doesn’t say a company is required to repair, or make available an option to repair a product that is broken.  There may be a law, that explicitly says that, or an argument on why this might be illegal, but that is not it.

edit: Show me where it says what you seem to think it does.

STATUTE-88-Pg2183.pdf

In order for a store to get parts they need a reason. "Linus broke his iMac Pro trying to disassemble it" does not count as a good reason to send a part to Apple HQ. 

This is not true at all. They'd simply state "out of warranty screen damage", no need for details or story.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

These certifications are needed for repairs, true, but if LTT had not voided their warranty intentionally, Apple could have worked with them to get a replacement. Doing so would get around the issue of not having replacement parts and people ready to service the machine. 

Warranty doesn't matter here so... not sure why you're talking about it. This is out of warranty work. OOW Screen Replacements are incredibly common.

6 minutes ago, Ashley Thomas said:

Does the action the FTA has taken against APPLE (USA) this week have an impact on this??? 
Basically the FTA have told APPLE they CAN'T place restrictions on what customers do with their products after they've purchased them!!

Nerd Alert story about my comment

Apple has not placed a restriction on what anyone can do with their product. They can however choose to not service a customer who disassembled their product and broke it. That is on LTT, not Apple.