Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

Microcenter (the one in Fairfax, Virginia) is the one who came through for me. Broken screen and logic board in my case. The LB problems were due to the Thunderbolt ports becoming dislodged when I removed the LB to add RAM, and the screen was the result of me not being very careful.

I agree that this is an utterly unacceptable level of support for a professional product. Apple basically stopped supporting professional computer users around 2012 and ever since then all the pros I support that use macs are clinging on to their old gear, especially the last generation real MacPro towers (dual Westmere) and praying, or more often figuring out how to transition to software that works on an open hardware platform while using Hackintosh's as an intermediary step. Point is, they advertise the iMac Pro specifically as a professional product, but they don't support it like a professional product and the way LTT has been treated sends a very clear signal that these really aren't up-gradable or repairable. They are not for professionals despite the hardware specs. The reason Apple is one of the most profitable companies in the world is because of this appalling treatment of their customers, and they've figured out that if you sell people on lifestyle branding hard enough and create enough platform lock-in people will eat their feces and call it breakfast while they engineer things so that the most minor of everyday use case scenarios might destroy your device because it's designed and delivered in a way that actively prevents repair, or even cost-effective recycling in many cases. Luis Rossman does a good job of talking about this, and Apple is not the only offender, though they are particularly pernicious in that respect. If this kind of thing matters to you please check out the Right To Repair movement which is supporting laws to fight these practices in many industries and supports small businesses and end users.

https://repair.org/stand-up/

12 hours ago, WhiteO said:

...the video is getting 100,000 views every hour - won't be surprised the video might end up trending on youtube.

Guess what's happening?  At least here in Canada.

#31 right now

17 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

You guys said in the iMac pro video that it has LG Panel so maybe you guys could use that LG monitor's panel you guys talked about in that same video . Hopefully you guys won't need to do that :) . 

@GabenJr Hello there, I am am very interested I your situation and would like to try and lend a hand or some more insight. I work for Apple (I know you’ll just have to take my word for it) and know that the repair strategy is “different” for the iMac Pro but I haven’t seen a situation like this.  Could be simply because to my knowledge we haven’t had to repair one yet. Typically for Apple to “decline” repair it will have something to do with tampering or modifications. I know in the video it’s says it’s because they can’t get parts but that just doesn’t sound right. Maybe there was some miscommunication? If at all possible could you provide me with the serial number or case number if you have it, list of components, and the reason for why each components needs replacing? 

Looking forward to lending some support if possible. Cheers!

Edited by IWantToHelp1984

3 minutes ago, Enscivwy said:

Their PSU and motherboard is also fried

Well that is f**ked up 

Apple is finished. They are a Cell Phone Manufacturer from this point forward. If you want a superior Unix system. Get a Box, install everything as normal, and run Debian64 with BumbleBee for the ATI and Nvidia capacity. Yes, my Adobe Cloud works on my Debian machine. Never using Apple Computers again.

some imagine power comes from the east :"中国华强北可以修复苹果的产品,请了解一下?"

How to DIY fix a mac ?

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I`m chinese people , for the apple device , just send it to China--ShenZhen---HuaQiangBei , a lot of electronic store in HuaQiangBei ; they can repair all type  apple device , if you find right store .  But they Between legal and illegal ,so , it up to you , i`m not ShenZhen local people , you can ask  nixie subs ,you chinese translate partner for help you find right store . 

and if you really really want to fix it “华强北” is the best choice

Google “深圳华强北”

Guys...

There is only a rule:

• NEVER  buy a mac for work

at least not untill they change their mentality.

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and don't know if people have already suggested this, but;

Linus (or someone else from the team) should get in touch with REWA Technology. They are based in china and source out part for repairing (mainly) Apple products and about an year ago began outsourcing for Mac repair parts. Their parts range from AAA ("worst") to Factory new (usually directly from Foxconn). I have bought at least 5 LCD assemblies for different iPhones and they have all been originals + they are always sent with express shipping. So maybe a long shot for the new iMac, but they can maybe find parts for it?

Link to REWA:
http://www.rewatechnology.com/

Can also provide e-mail addresses for some staff members there if needed. Not posting here so they don't get spammed...

Go to Apple HQ and hook the nipples of the board of directors to a car battery.
That should provide enough incentive.

Looks like this has blown up but I took the time to look into it so I figured I'd take the time to reply.  AASP reporting in.  I can definitely order the part for stock.  To reply to some other posts I saw it's a different model number from the normal 27" 5k.  As far as machine certification I assume it's not covered by the normal iMac cert and I don't see a specific Pro cert;  I'd have to delve deeper to look into that one. 

Part looks to be available for stock order, though, so even if there's no cert program in place the display should be orderable at increased cost as a stock part.  I don't see any reason an AASP couldn't fix it.  If no one locally can shoot me a message and you can ship it to Michigan and I should be able to based on what I'm seeing in Apple's tech site.

18 hours ago, Daymin said:

Regarding the screen I would guess it's not the actual panel which is broken but only the glass infront of it:
The metal on the back of a lcd panel (which shorted out the power supply?) is in most cases not even used as a ground for the electronics but only a physical protection for the panel itself.
You can maybe get a replacement for the glass (often in combination with a shittier screen) from a Chinese vendor, as you can get that easily for Iphones and macbooks.

For the power supply a bit of solder and a steady hand could also be enough.
You can torture a modern power supply a lot before it is completely useless so hopefully just a blown fuse which needs to be replaced.
As long as a integrated chip/micro controller isn't completely fried.
Just check the board with a reference picture for any abnormalities and then check for conductivity/capacity/inductance with a multimeter. 

If the power supply is a separate circuit board you may be also able to get one second hand from a Chinese vendor.

But as this is Apple they may have added steps to brick the whole system if anything is wrong with the power delivery.

Do not fuck around with power supplies. They are way more dangerous (doubly if broken) and complicated than you seem to understand, and without adequate knowledge you can destroy the rest of the computer or seriously injure yourself. I'm an electrical engineer and I don't even feel comfortable trying to repair a power supply (I have the knowledge, but it's not my field).

Contact your local GeekSquad, As a former Advanced Repair Agent we have dealt with this before. Our GeekSquad City is capable of assisting. AFAIK...

IF you have AppleCare then they can send it for service/replacement of hardware. And pay for any hardware required. IF you dont have AppleCare then you need to pay a service fee and for additonal hardware. 

Happy to get this done for you.   Not worried at all about power supply/board/etc. Relatively simple switch mode power supply.  Likely no damage to logic board.  Best course of action would be to use the widely available iMac 5k screen and design an adapter for the cabling.  

We did this successfully for the iMac 17" way back when, and have sold several thousand of the adapters.   Similar situation, but rather than user error, the 17" had a nearly 100% failure rate of the LCD. Apple could not supply replacements that were not defective.

Https://realmacmods.com

HD2.jpg

20 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

I work for an AASP near San Francisco. If you can provide me with the S/N, I can see what I can find out.

3 hours ago, we_are_theBorg said:

I agree that this is an utterly unacceptable level of support for a professional product. Apple basically stopped supporting professional computer users around 2012 and ever since then all the pros I support that use macs are clinging on to their old gear, especially the last generation real MacPro towers (dual Westmere) and praying, or more often figuring out how to transition to software that works on an open hardware platform while using Hackintosh's as an intermediary step. Point is, they advertise the iMac Pro specifically as a professional product, but they don't support it like a professional product and the way LTT has been treated sends a very clear signal that these really aren't up-gradable or repairable.

https://repair.org/stand-up/

On the upside, this situation has brought out some of the best 'alternative' - admittedly enthusiast level difficulty - options for maintaining Genuine Apple Product, all onto one easily searchable place on the net. (Did you see the "thought experiment" Debian/Bumblebee option, wow).
Apple could not have asked for a worse outcome. There's a critical mass of "influencers" here to make sure Apple do NOT get repair/upgrade/replace revenue.
Nice one Apple.

Just a suggestion, but what about reaching out to Ben Heck (on YT)? He hacks things like this all the time. like making an XBox laptop, or driving an LCD with a custom made driver board he hand coded. he's one smart cookie and would make an awesome co-lab vid. hope you get it fixed.