Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

4 hours ago, Bael2212 said:

So I may not be able to suggest a fix for this but I may be able to shed some light on WHY apple is being such a pain about this and won't take the repair directly, a guy I work with was an apple certified technician and I showed him this video to see if he might have a little more insight on the situation and here is what he told me:

"so the situation behind that is a non-apple certified individual took it apart which is in violation of their terms and conditions. Because apple doesn’t know what that individual did, they don’t want to take responsibility if say a tiny little capacitor was removed that they didn’t catch and it ended up causing worse damage or bodily harm. They would essentially have to replace every part and test each one individually to guarantee their work which costs more in parts and technician time then it would for the user to purchase another machine, on a normal machine anyway iMac pros are stupid expensive, but Apple’s stance on Non-authorized technicians is very firm. Which is why had to be certified in everything I did at [REDACTED]."

Long story short Apple directly doesn't want the liability hence why they tried to push you guys to an AASP then they are not directly liable for any issues after the repair is completed.

That liability is exactly why Apple (well at least sensible companies) would want their products repaired regardless, if I accidentally do a "money shift" with my car the manufacturer will be happy to provide a new engine for x amount of money so they know that I won't just DIY fit some other engine into the car. Plus it gives them LOTS of good customer feedback compared to saying "nope we can't help you, we can't even order the parts to this country atm", that's at least what most other markets do.

If the product costs more to repair than replace they should probably offer that as a preffered option, but denying service to a product they have a monopoly on is really unwise for several reasons, mostly for all the bad pr they gained from this entire situation.

Hi, linus, i find a way to buy the Apple 5k screen. I can help you buy this screen in Taobao(Alibaba). I am your fans from china, but now i am study in canada, if you want, you can contact me. my email is 2270958649zzz@gmail.com  or  2270958649@qq.com

i really want to help you.Screenshot_20180418-164636.thumb.png.8d77348e4d670e668bc90386a55740d8.png

Well my name is Kai. I have a friend who works at a third party tech store. I actually coincidentally saw someone bring in an imac for him to repair not to long ago and he fixed it! If you are wondering about this just shoot me an email kjet0014@gmail.com

20 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Question: what US and Canadian laws is it that Apple exactly is breaking by refusing to repair the iMac Pro? I tried doing a quick search for some but couldn't find any, so I was just curious if manufacturers are obligated to offer repair services for their devices.

Magnuson moss warranty act in the US

I know some credit cards or insurance policies covers damages. They might have more bargaining power for Apple to fix it.

Im suprised Apple is this bad at service for linus, we have a guy loving apple in our office and theres never been a problem for him or others at our local store.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

You can search if someone have a dead imac pro you can take the screen from that and place it into yours or place the internals In a new closure.

You can request the full case notes for your machine via AppleCare they are required to send it to you. You can see why they really denied it. They should all be trained already if the parts aren’t avaliable it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t get it fixed it means they haven’t been sent them yet. If they flat out refuse to do it then case notes would shed a light on why. It also seems like the aasp is a little behind on their Certs. They should also have access to training already. 

6 hours ago, Chrocchan said:

Guys...

There is only a rule:

• NEVER  buy a mac for work

at least not untill they change their mentality.

I would actually argue against that because I got my imac for free that way :P, the company was gonna trash it because it stopped working (so I took it home), a couple days of diagnostics and it was the stock ram that had gone bad (there was also an aftermarket stick and that one still worked fortunately).

Huge fan of the channel, so I'd love to attempt to help you guys out. I'm an ACMT certified technician for a third-party AASP in Indiana and have completed the required training course for the iMac Pro. The person you contacted must not have been checking ATLAS lately, because there is indeed a new training module specifically for this machine and that is what is always required in order to get parts through Apple's service portal. We have yet to see an iMac Pro come in, so I can't guarantee that I would be able to do anything to help you, but I'd be more than happy to share my work email in a PM (and also legitimize myself a bit) in order for you to provide me with the serial number of your machine. That would allow me to see if I could order the parts needed.

im confused - did you really get an email actually saying "declined repair" or was that staged?  They dont decline repairs over email. 

On 4/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

When I was having major issues with Apple and their repairs, I emailed Tim Cook directly. I've emailed Tim twice; the first time, he passed me on to an employee who quickly fixed my issue, and the second time, he sent me a very kind personal email. My point is: Tim reads all emails (or a very high-level employee does). I would put money on your issue's quick resolution once he is made aware of the video. And yes, he reads and replies.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

There's this place in Cedar Falls, IA called itech, what you should do is try to work a backdoor deal with them. I bet they would try and fix it.

Have you guys tried ordering the part directly from china? Wechat is the craigslist of china. 

There's also this youtuber who does videos on making an iphone from scratch. The channel is called Strange Parts and maybe that guy could help you.

Apple sucks but do this buy another one switch screens take back the one you just bought tell the company you bought it from  it came in the box broken they will take it back and give you a full refund and send it back to Apple now that's how you fuck them back.  If you won't do it email me and ill do it for a fee let me know 

11 hours ago, Enscivwy said:

Sure is, if you noticed the spark when anthony was placing the screen back, that was the reason why it happened

That spark was fake. Which makes this whole post, as well as the video, laughable.

This one is easy.

Step 1: Buy a new iMac Pro that is identical to the one you have.

Step 2: Swap the display from the new iMac to the old iMac.

Step 3: Return the new iMac with the broken screen.

This thread badly needs to be closed to cut off all the 1-posters who don't bother reading the thread.  The problem was resolved 10+ pages ago several times over and this thing is going to get bumped ad inifinitum.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

So what was the resolution? Would have been helpful to post that as well, since I have no idea which page you're talking about.

If the apple wont repair it, it may still be covered by your credit card insurance.

Most Canadian credit cards offer purchase assurance.  Where it provides coverage for items accidentally damaged within 90 or 120 days of purchase.

If it was purchased with a credit card within the time period, you may be reimbursed for the cost of the computer.

@LinusTech i cant help you get it fixed.... but check out the likes and dislikes on this video. 

FyI i disliked the video.