Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

On 4/18/2018 at 3:11 AM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

hi Linustechtips try contacting Youtuber Strange Parts that will be a great content for both of you

Okay, countless stores in China can fix it. But they dont sell the screen. So maybe you can take it to Huaqiangbei Shenzhen China to find a man. Huaqiangbei is like a place full of masters. You can find almost anything

You may fine the answer in Huaqiang North Road,Futian District,Shenzhen

I don't like Apple either, but seriously y'all need some perspective.

If you damaged the body panels or glass on a newly-released luxury car, no dealership in the world would be able to get you a replacement glass or body panels for likely the better part of a year. This is a normal, and is an inevitable fact of business dictated by the company's finite manufacturing capacity. The decision isn't between selling you the replacement part or not selling you the part, the decision is between selling you the replacement part or selling someone else an entire car. Only once the demand dies down and they have spare manufacturing capacity does it make sense to sell replacement parts.

10 minutes ago, AJMansfield said:

I don't like Apple either, but seriously y'all need some perspective.

If you damaged the body panels or glass on a newly-released luxury car, no dealership in the world would be able to get you a replacement glass or body panels for likely the better part of a year. This is a normal, and is an inevitable fact of business dictated by the company's finite manufacturing capacity. The decision isn't between selling you the replacement part or not selling you the part, the decision is between selling you the replacement part or selling someone else an entire car. Only once the demand dies down and they have spare manufacturing capacity does it make sense to sell replacement parts.

Idk, i dont think macs are comparable to an exotic car. Theyre comparable to a prius or a smart car or something. 

I work for an AASP where I provide in-house repairs for my company, which is a very large enterprise that can afford to do this. I haven’t looked at the requirements to service the iMac Pro because my company doesn’t have any yet, but getting certified to service additional equipment isn’t too hard once the tech have obtain their other Apple service fundamentals and Apple Mac certifications. So my advice is to look for another AASP that is willing to help. Or try looking on LinkedIn for people with the Apple Service fundamentals certification and see who can help. I’m not allowed to service non-corporate computers, so I can’t order you the parts. But for a facility to be certified for onsite repair requires a few thousand of dollars of equipment to meet Apple’s standards and safety. 

i could repair but issue is finding that part or waiting for broken to arrive on the markets to steal parts from it since this is new be awhile before you find oem/non oem replacements

also DONT BUY APPLE

just saiyan :)

14 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Idk, i dont think macs are comparable to an exotic car. Theyre comparable to a prius or a smart car or something. 

I concede the comparison isn't exact, but it's still a luxury good with all the same market forces at play.

I have some serious advice that I don't think has been posted yet. When you're assembling or disassembling the mac all in ones lay them down on their back and put foam behind the bottom of the monitor to brace it. You'll never break a screen again. Good luck guys! 

Hey!
Recently, this video caught my attention as it was making quite the stir in the online tech community. With Apple's best brand interest in mind, I'd be interested in helping you get your workstation up and running as fast as I can. I'm aware that the damage to this product is preventing you from accomplishing work, and I know that this is a product you rely on to make income. While your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider may be unable to help you due to restrictions in place, I would be interested in working towards resolving this issue. I am in contact with several people at Apple, who are interested in helping you fix your iMac Pro. If you would be interested in reaching out via my email, I'd be happy to help you figure this out, and ultimately get your machine up and running again. Regards, Alex. 

can you use  the screen of iMac  A1419 5k  to replace it ?

I  only find this screen in china .

Hi, @LinusTech

I work as a Apple Certified Macintosh Technician at a AASP and can tell you that the info about the Service Manual and the Certification exams for iMac Pro not being available is a lie. Atleast here in europe, but europe being faster than the US./Canada seems highly unlikely.

I have done the tests and as far as I can tell the parts you asked for is in stock here in the EU warehouse.

About not being able to sell you the parts standalone, that part is correct.

Hope you get this resolved.

PS. A youtube colab with Strange Parts would be fun to see :) DS.

I recently sued Apple in the small claims court under consumer law in the UK just before Christmas, because Apple refused to replace my faulty MacBook Pro that I bought in 2012. 

I won! 

Apple just do not care about their customers anymore. They only care about chasing that $1T valuation it seems. I made a post about my court case. Can post a link is a mod approves that. 

Looks like you guys might have to go down a consumer law route as well. Might be the only way.

I've setup a private account as I previously had connections with Apple (don't anymore) but don't necessarily want me being put out there....

I still have access to the repair portal and also have an iMac Pro myself and can clearly see the parts available for order, there's no stock availability right now but thats normal for products like this (Mac Pro used to be the same) parts can take longer to arrive so they wont give you an eta until after its been ordered.

I think whats happened here to Linus is 

a.) Apple are following policy and thats up to them as you did f**k around with it but you don't have to like that and you're well within your rights to not like it but you do have to accept it. They make it clear what can happen so yeah thats their position (even through in MY experience this isn't how they act to people who are in situations like this, they always give the option of you buying stock parts, I can see them right now on the portal, they're full RRP).

b.) Linus is being bullshitted by the AASP. I suspect they haven't done the exams for the iMac Pro (cant order parts without it, system wont let you) and they've tried to put the blame on something else. 

c.) Part availability is bad as mentioned above this is kind of how it os for niche products, they dont keep stock of all parts for all machines so it might not have immediate availability but suspect it could be ordered and you wait a number of weeks for it to arrive (even though I do find it strange that I can in theory get my AASP to order the parts right now but you guys have been told allegedly they're not "available"). 

I think there's more here not being said and as much as Apple can be strict with their policy I think the full story isn't being shared. For example Apples latest stance on 3rd party screens on iPhones, in the past it voided all warranty on the entire product and the device was rejected, now it doesn't matter, if your battery is still in warranty but you've got a crappy knockoff screen the battery is still covered as long as its not been tampered with. So to have them reject this outright? Hmmm somethings fishy. 

2 hours ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

I recently sued Apple in the small claims court under consumer law in the UK just before Christmas, because Apple refused to replace my faulty MacBook Pro that I bought in 2012. 

I won! 

Apple just do not care about their customers anymore. They only care about chasing that $1T valuation it seems. I made a post about my court case. Can post a link is a mod approves that. 

Looks like you guys might have to go down a consumer law route as well. Might be the only way.

Consumer law is automatic with Apple. If you have a product that qualifies for consumer law they will give automatic coverage, all you literally have to do is sign a form and thats it, this is for up to 6 years. Why you say you sued them is bizarre. I ran a repair centre and they literally built it into the system so products COULDN'T be charged for. 

as some previously has said I aswell used to support amongst other Mac,iphone and others. From what I learned if you kept contacting them and kept fighting for your cause you would either get in contact with customer relations or some senior would roll over and give you what you want. So I would suggest you keep in contact with apple and try to resolve it through their support. basically call them 2nd to everyday and ask how it is going and when the spare parts are in. otherwise you can try another apple store, there is 2nd to no direct contact between the stores and the online support.

call applecare at 1800myapple and let them know the issue and then tell them to get you with a senior advisor. Let the senior adviser know that you are wanting to get the product mailed out for repair so that it goes to a repair depot. Make sure he knows all the facts so that he can put them in the notes for the case itself. Once this is completed you will have 2 things 1 you will have constant support and direct support from one person so you dont have to keep talking to multiple people, and 2 you will have the computer shipped to a place that already has the parts needed usually. 

I work as an applecare advisor and this type of problem is actually pretty rare on the consumer side of things because it involved the computer being taken apart by someone without apple certification. Good luck with this issue and i hope you get it resolved soon if you have not already :-)

P.S      You have to be very patient and very nice on the phone in order to not rush the advisor while they are taking the notes so set aside at least an hour just to make sure nothing gets skipped over.

Ask Louis Rossmann he does a great job of raising awareness of apple's bad business practices when it comes repair, would love to see you give him more exposure.  It would be a great way to get back at apple for the shoddy service they've given you and for all their customers with similar repair issues.

LTT wins lots of money with all those advertisements. I'm sure they can buy other iMac Pro so they can make even more a storm against Apple. I wonder if the story was the same but with an Acer or other PC manufacturer brand they wouldn't be doing so much fuss about it.

The thing is brand new, LTT screwed with the machine and Apple does not have the parts. It is sad but they should take more care next time.

36 minutes ago, jpeg89 said:

Ask Louis Rossmann he does a great job of raising awareness of apple's bad business practices when it comes repair, would love to see you give him more exposure.  It would be a great way to get back at apple for the shoddy service they've given you and for all their customers with similar repair issues.

He just released a video talking about how Apple tried to sue a 3rd party repair shop for 'unauthorized repairs'. Luckily Apple lost that case - even gives a shout-out to Linus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNl2q6YZXlA

hi there, just saw your video about the imac pro repair - and appel not willing to suport you. 

since i have connection to someone working on a apple reseller stor i may be able to get a display unit from a imac pro that was in the stor as demo but now its broken because some customer spilled water in the imac - its PSU seems to be usless now - however i might be able to recover the display unit an ship it to you guys.

keep up the work i love you videos - greeting from germany tobby

ps. i hope you can read my english

I work for a third party repair shop (certified in Apple repair). I know the iMac Pro cert is out and they do have training videos. Currently have an iMac Pro in the shop for a different issue that is not display related. I can see if I can help you guys out further just message me.

15 hours ago, Handmeat said:

Magnuson moss warranty act in the US

That's different. That states that you can't void the warranty with stuff like stickers. In this case LTT themselves BROKE the Mac, making it so the warranty no longer covers repairing those parts.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 4/17/2018 at 10:46 PM, demonofelru said:

That’s still a poor analogy.  It wasn’t damaged in a freak accident that could happen to anybody.  They serviced very explicitly non-user serviceable parts and messed up in the process.  It would be like a dealership telling you don’t replace your headlights, they’re not an easy thing to replace by normal people.  If you replace them and break something they are not liable.  

Now i get that when you would come back and say, “look I know I messed up, how much to fix what I did?” And they say, “no we can’t help you at all.”being frustrated.  I don’t buy Apple just doesn’t have the parts, and they are being petty.  I just think both sides are being very petty.

Again those analogies are only telling a slanted side towards his view though. The reality is much more nuanced, it’s not a rock hitting the car while in normal use.  His motherboard didn’t fry, or whatever failure/failures due to just using it like your analogy.

But when you say you Broke it the dealer would give you an answer of Yeah we can fix it, Due to X part you broke and the new headlights it will be $XXX and they would fix it. they wouldnt go Nah these headlights dont exist elsewhere so we wont help you good luck cause now the cars illegal to drive. 

Um. Pretty much Apple will have stock of the entire complete model. They can detach such screen, reattach to LTTs, pretty much at whatever cost they wish to charge.

No offering such a service, means something is up with Apple. They have a problem, or wish to hide or remove a service. No product in unreplaceable/repairable.