Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

Just now, OTG said:

Not sure why this makes Apple not want to sell them replacement parts and service charges. 

I don't know why they aren't either. But this is the situation that has unfolded. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The Irony here is I pretty much loath apple and there products sold at obscene prices all manufactured by the absolute lowest possible bidder. They spend more money on packaging and shipping their freaking watches than they do on manufacturing... and this guy has me defending them because he flat out doesnt understand how their out of warranty process actually works and is spouting ignorance. FML Going to bed! Hopefully I can get a reply from my apple dude this week as to part availability for the imac pro.

8 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

You know, maybe it sounds like an overreaction and stuff, but in my opinion you should think about suing Apple in this case. They directly affect your bottom line while doing things that already have been confirmed (at least in the States) illegal. 

At the very least, I think you should consult your lawyers on this incident. As Linus mentioned in the video, they've screwed both the customer and their own support staff with this action. It should definitely not go unnoticed and undocumented.

5 hours ago, Kevin Hernandez said:

Hello, I work for a AASP in the United States, and not only do I have the certifications for the iMac Pro but can get parts for these units. The only thing I can think of is that Canada just isn’t there yet with these certifications and parts. I would recommend sending it to a place you trust in the US.  I would highly recommend a AASP as it would keep warranty after the repair is done. If it gets fixed with the wrong display or fake display it will void all help Apple can give you.  

Hope this helps. 

I too work for ASP in the US and can order the parts. Only caveat is that when a part is physically damaged and I need to order from Apple two things happen:

1)They charge more the damaged component (in most cases)

2)If it's a major component (i.e. logic board, RAM, display) they always want the defective part back.

imac displays are from only 1 vendor:  LG...macbook displays are from 2 vendors:  samsung and LG...iphone displays are from 3 vendors:  sharpe, jdi, and lg.  if you have a cracked display, you should be able to get that display replaced.  apple authorized dealers should be able to replace the crack/broken display.  getting one from china or other 3rd parties not authorized will be considered fraud should you bring it into an apple store.  i've seen these "fraud" displays, and know what to look for.

yes, i work at an apple distribution center as a contractor.  i don't give a f**k about NDAs, and i could care less about apple.  apple buys their MLBs (mobos) from foxconn in china (unless that has changed over the past few years). ok, enough about the rant LOL.

i'm currently working in a dept that does in-house repairs.  at the moment i haven't seen any imac pro displays or mobos, yet.  we have yet to received any bad imac pros, or displays, or replacement mobos.  now, are these parts available? i'm guessing they are, and will not be shipped to anywhere except to apple stores, aka genius bars, and probably their authorized dealer/sellers.  i would love give get these parts for you, lol; but, my work place is like a prison -- can't even bring any phones or electronic devices with usb capabilities, wifi, bt, etc., etc.

hoping for the best for you all at LTT

45 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

That law covers more than warranties, you need to read more than the title.

36 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

I edited my previous post, but I’m linking the law, show me where it says that. You tell me to read the law, I have, now you.

edit: Like I said, there MAY be legal standing, but the law you referenced isn’t it.

STATUTE-88-Pg2183.pdf

Still waiting...

7 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

Still waiting...

You're right... that it's not in the MMWA. It's another issue, illegal Refusal to Supply as "part of a predatory or exclusionary strategy to acquire or maintain a monopoly", which is a violation of US anti-trust laws. All LTT needs to do is incorporate in the US and transfer the Mac, then complain to the FTC.

In order for Apple to legally maintain their monopoly on legitimately servicing their products they must not refuse to repair anyone's device if they're willing to pay.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-supply-chain/refusal-supply

8 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

You're right... that it's not in the MMWA. It's another issue, illegal Refusal to Supply as "part of a predatory or exclusionary strategy to acquire or maintain a monopoly", which is a violation of US anti-trust laws. All LTT needs to do is incorporate in the US and transfer the Mac, then complain to the FTC.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-supply-chain/refusal-supply

IANAL, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that would apply here.  They are hardly in any way close to getting a monopoly on desktop computers.

Like I said, there may very well be a law, or an interpretation of a law that could be argued but the one you said was certainly not it, and I thank you for admitting that.  

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t mind seeing a law preventing this explicitly, it is a frustrating thing to experience, no doubt, and Apple ARE being petty as I’ve stated many times.

I wish you would have actually read it before accusing me of not reading it though.  I will happily give you credit if you find one, and apologize, even though I admitted there may very well be one already, I just don’t know of one.

19 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple has not placed a restriction on what anyone can do with their product. They can however choose to not service a customer who disassembled their product and broke it. That is on LTT, not Apple. 

No that's not correct.
Apple can't dictate/chose who they offer a service to.
Apple offers a paid-repair service. They can't set a criteria on who they offer that service to.
Especially not based on what a customer did with a product once they took ownership of it. Legally that's none of Apple's business.
Once you pay for a product (not license) as LTT did here, you own it 100%. Apple has no authority to set limitations on what customers do with that product after purchase.
(Apple can set some criteria in relation to Warranty but even here Apple has been notified of being in breach of the law.)
In terms of paid repair you can't offer a service to one person and not another FOR ANY REASON.
Apple are claiming they have authority to set limits of use of product after sale. That's expressly illegal and Apple have been notified.
Paid Apple Repair is just an Apple "Branded" Repair store, legally they are no different from any repair store. Apple is CHOOSING to work exclusively on Apple products (and that's fine because that choice effects all customers equally).
In relation to Paid-Repair "Apple Authorised" or "Official Apple" are only Trademarks. They're just names, they have no legal implication whatsoever. Any repair business can repair any product. The only impact those names have commercially is for Warranties. The only thing stopping me from opening a repair store and calling myself an "Apple Approved" repairer is the copyright on the name. It has nothing to do with any authority over who can/can't do anything to a product. 
When Apple Repair fix computers (like IMACs) they aren't repairing "Apple" products they are repairing Linus's, Kevin's, Sara's computers. Once you pay 100% sale price, it's no longer Apple's property in anyway. (until you try to onsell it or the design of it, which is not happening.)
Sorry for repeating myself. It's clear as crystal to me and I can't understand how people are confused by this.
I guess people are so customised to APPLE fucking them over with illegal over-reach like this, that now they take a good raping and happily pay Apple for it afterwards and feel grateful Apple used lube!

3 minutes ago, Ashley Thomas said:

(Apple can set some criteria in relation to Warranty but even here Apple has been notified of being in breach of the law.)

If that is in fact the case then the issue should be resolved fairly quickly. But only as quickly as Apple can send a part out to a service provider. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Apple can't offer a paid repair service to one customer and not another.
Apple can chose to only work on Apple computers because that applies to all customers equally.
Apple can't chose to fix Kevin's broken computer and not Sarah's. For ANY REASON.
How the computer came to be in need of repair is LEGALLY none of Apples business.

(It's different for Warranty repair.)

8 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

It's possible that you could reach out to your ISP or TV company. I recently dropped my MacBook Pro and cracked the screen. When I took it to the Apple Store, they quoted me $680 for the screen repair. I was not willing to spend that much unless I absolutely had to. I did some digging and remembered that I am enrolled in the Directv Protection Plan Premier which is basically accident insurance for your computers, tablets, and TVs. I contacted Directv to let them know about my cracked screen and they sent a prepaid shipping box to me to send the laptop back in. A few days later, they called and said that they were unable to repair my laptop because they couldn't get the part. They replaced my computer with a BRAND NEW one that was in its sealed retail packaging. The deductible was only $50, too! I was really impressed in with this service.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 10.55.09 PM.png

1 minute ago, Ashley Thomas said:

Apple can't offer a paid repair service to one customer and not another.
Apple can chose to only work on Apple computers because that applies to all customers equally.
Apple can't chose to fix Kevin's broken computer and not Sarah's. For ANY REASON.
How the computer came to be in need of repair is LEGALLY none of Apples business.

(It's different for Warranty repair.)

AFAIK They are not showing any bias though.  From the explanation given they argue they just don’t have the parts.  For what it’s worth I call shenanigans, but that’s what they argue, or did at the moment of filming.

Also again this is Canada, but as far as the US is concerned I believe you are absolutely allowed to deny service to anyone as long as you are not doing to on grounds of discriminating due to a protected class/type.  Once more IANAL, but that is my thoughts, do you have a reference on what you said for the US or Canada?  If so first he would have to prove that they are lying about the parts, then try that angle.

5 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

IANAL, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that would apply here.  They are hardly in any way close to getting a monopoly on desktop computers.

Nope, doesn't have to be that general. Them having a monopoly on repairing that model is enough to run afoul of the law again refusal. 

It's just like Ford refusing to repair or sell you parts for an F-150 that was wrecked in a way they don't like. It's not something they're legally allowed to do.

8 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

Like I said, there may very well be a law, or an interpretation of a law that could be argued but the one you said was certainly not it, and I thank you for admitting that.  

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t mind seeing a law preventing this explicitly, it is a frustrating thing to experience, no doubt, and Apple ARE being petty as I’ve stated many times.

I wish you would have actually read it before accusing me of not reading it though.  I will happily give you credit if you find one, and apologize, even though I admitted there may very well be one already, I just don’t know of one.

This was my misrememberance of which act it is in, and I apologize for it, my personal experience with these laws is from another industry. The page I linked is referring to practices forbidden under the Federal Trade Commission Act of 1914. 

53 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple isn't going to fix LTTs Mac because of how the machine was broken. Accidental damage as a result of deliberate action which voided Apples obligation to try and resolve the issue immediately. Not at this time, not without proper support lanes in place. 

There is no such thing as "Apple Obligation" in this case. That language sounds similar to the language used in AppleCare or Apple's Warranty but I'm sure you understand we aren't talking about Warranty.
Apple isn't saying "We can't repair" they are saying; "We choose not to repair, because xxxx".
They can't do that. 
Either they can repair for everyone or they can't repair for everyone.

12 minutes ago, Ashley Thomas said:

No that's not correct.
Apple can't dictate/chose who they offer a service to.
Apple offers a paid-repair service. They can't set a criteria on who they offer that service to.
Especially not based on what a customer did with a product once they took ownership of it. Legally that's none of Apple's business.
Once you pay for a product (not license) as LTT did here, you own it 100%. Apple has no authority to set limitations on what customers do with that product after purchase.
In terms of paid repair you can't offer a service to one person and not another FOR ANY REASON.
Apple are claiming they have authority to set limits of use of product after sale. That's expressly illegal and Apple have been notified.
Paid Apple Repair is just an Apple "Branded" Repair store, legally they are no different from any repair store. Apple is CHOOSING to work exclusively on Apple products (and that's fine because that choice effects all customers equally).
In relation to Paid-Repair "Apple Authorised" or "Official Apple" are only Trademarks. They're just names, they have no legal implication whatsoever. Any repair business can repair any product. The only impact those names have commercially is for Warranties. The only thing stopping me from opening a repair store and calling myself an "Apple Approved" repairer is the copyright on the name. It has nothing to do with any authority over who can/can't do anything to a product. 
When Apple Repair fix computers (like IMACs) they aren't repairing "Apple" products they are repairing Linus's, Kevin's, Sara's computers. Once you pay 100% sale price, it's no longer Apple's property in anyway. (until you try to onsell it or the design of it, which is not happening.)
Sorry for repeating myself. It's clear as crystal to me and I can't understand how people are confused by this.
I guess people are so customised to APPLE fucking them over with illegal over-reach like this, that now they take a good raping and happily pay Apple for it afterwards and feel grateful Apple used lube!

+1 to this. One thing is warranty repair which has a separate agreement, another - paid repair service.

Were Linus coming to Apple store/service center and personally insult employees or damage Apple property in shop, then there would be grounds to refuse service.

But not based on basic device disassembly/reassembly. This is not enough to refuse repair for which Linus is willing to pay for.

IF YOU CAN'T GET IT FIXED. Maybe make a video on mounting it facedown without the stand in one of the classic school desks whos top opens up and cut holes in the back for cooling and wires? You could use a high res 4K or higher monitor like this with the ultra-thin bezels we really wish for on the iMac pro. That with the space gray apple keyboard and a gray/black MX Master 2s would be incredibly functional, budget cautious, and easy to put together so you have some serious aesthetics and a good short-term solution.

4 minutes ago, demonofelru said:

AFAIK They are not showing any bias though.  From the explanation given they argue they just don’t have the parts.  For what it’s worth I call shenanigans, but that’s what they argue, or did at the moment of filming.

The HQ refused to supply the parts to the store, hence why Linus said that not only he is screwed but also the employees at the Apple service center that they sent the device to repair to.

sorry hate to say it but i thank you have one of tow options throw it out which you dont what  do or smelt it down and sell fo the parts 

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If that is in fact the case then the issue should be resolved fairly quickly. But only as quickly as Apple can send a part out to a service provider. 

Well yes. 
As I said; it's clear to me.
I'm bound to be missing something.
Someone will educate me and I'll slink back into my cave.
But it's a clear legal principal that is designed to prevent monopolisation and has been tested in court recently. So I'm flumoxxed why this is even happening.

In israel if the product was sold by the official distributor (iDigital in this case) or bought from an official distributor abroad and they can't fix it - through insurance or through payment, they must provide a new unit free of charge. Otherwise they will face serious fines and even get closed by the CDA (Customer Defense Authority). Come to israel with your checks from the apple store and they'll fix it for you/provide a new one:)

Just now, PewlettHackard said:

Nope, doesn't have to be that general. Them having a monopoly on repairing that model is enough to run afoul of the law again refusal. 

It's just like Ford refusing to repair or sell you parts for an F-150 that was wrecked in a way they don't like. It's not something they're legally allowed to do.

First of all they don’t, they said he could go to an AASP if they had the parts they could repair.  Apple themselves don’t make most of the parts, and anyone can make a third party part like OWC does for some SSDs.  If you have a further source verifying what you said please post though.

Second according to them, they aren’t refusing repair, as much as stating the parts aren’t available.  I think that is shady, and call shenanigans, but even if your interpretation of the law is correct which I highly doubt it wouldn’t matter.

By your example, which I have found no evidence that it is true with Ford, they could say they don’t have the part, and feel free to look for a mechanic that might have it.  In this example that’s exactly what Apple did. 

Again I’m not saying Apple are being angels here.  They are being stubborn at best.  I just very much doubt there is any legal recourse like many internet lawyers have sprung up to argue.

Hey Linus,

I’m a manager at the only Premium Apple Certified repair centre in BC -next to an Apple Store- in Nanaimo (just across the water from you). My technician is the best in the business and I would bet my left arm that we can solve your problem. If you reach out to me, I wouldn’t mind getting the ball rolling on your repair.

If you are willing to wait a couple months, I would bet there will be a AASP that can do the job for you. Parts might be not completely available to all yet. ACMT techs that did there continuing ed on that model should be able to do the job. You will just have to pay for labor cost and parts. If the AASP I was working for was still around (bankrupt), we most likely would do it when we could get the parts. I know I would be up for doing it. Newer iMacs are easier to work on than the older ones.

By the way (this is mildly offtopic, but does connect to the "legality" aspect):