Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

Just now, demonofelru said:

I did, it doesn’t say a company is required to repair, or make available an option to repair a product that is broken.  There may be a law, that explicitly says that, or an argument on why this might illegal, but that is not it.

They have to make options available. This is why car manufacturers have to license their dealership repair software, but charge insanely high fees. Because by law anyone can fix any car software issue, on paper at least.

This is like a body shop calling Ford to get a part for a crashed car and Ford saying they won't sell the part because the driver was drunk. They don't get a fucking choice.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

In order for a store to get parts they need a reason. "Linus broke his iMac Pro trying to disassemble it" does not count as a good reason to send a part to Apple HQ. 

These certifications are needed for repairs, true, but if LTT had not voided their warranty intentionally, Apple could have worked with them to get a replacement. Doing so would get around the issue of not having replacement parts and people ready to service the machine. 

If you're not him after all, you really should think about teaming up with the Internet Strongman.  With the powers of Apple, Intel and Nvidia combined, you could rule the universe!  

Apple has not placed a restriction on what anyone can do with their product.

Apparently they can't disassemble it as part of a(n attempted) comprehensive review.  

They can however choose to not service a customer who disassembled their product and broke it. That is on LTT, not Apple. 

That's the question now, isn't it?

Just now, PewlettHackard said:

They'd simply state "out of warranty screen damage", no need for details or story.

Out of warranty screen damage when every iMac Pro sold to date is still in warranty? Hmmm, seems like a story HQ would believe without asking further questions. 

1 minute ago, PewlettHackard said:

Warranty doesn't matter here so... not sure why you're talking about it. This is out of warranty work. OOW Screen Replacements are incredibly common.

Its not just the display, multiple bits of the iMac Pro are broken. LTT did a lot more than break the screen. 

And the warranty does matter. Without it Apple is not obligated to work with LTT until they have the service lanes needed to fix something like this. If they had their warranty Apple could do a lot more than nothing. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Dumb thing to argue about, out of warranty repairs happen every day at apple probably in the thousands, regardless of what happened to the device, they have far and away the price for parts since theyre the freakin company and they make a profit on every repair, case in point, apple pays samsung 150 dollars for every iphone x display, apple charges 279 for the repair. it takes literally 6 minutes to replace the iphone x screen with very little skill required. The focus of this topic should be how to source the parts needed to get this imac repaired, not who what where when why apple wont touch it.

3 minutes ago, PewlettHackard said:

They have to make options available. This is why car manufacturers have to license their dealership repair software, but charge insanely high fees. Because by law anyone can fix any car software issue, on paper at least.

This is like a body shop calling Ford to get a part for a crashed car and Ford saying they won't sell the part because the driver was drunk. They don't get a fucking choice.

I edited my previous post, but I’m linking the law, show me where it says that. You tell me to read the law, I have, now you.

edit: Like I said, there MAY be legal standing, but the law you referenced isn’t it.

STATUTE-88-Pg2183.pdf

1 minute ago, OTG said:

Apparently they can't disassemble it as part of a(n attempted) comprehensive review.  

You can open and break your machine all you want. Nobody is going to stop you if you bought the machine and were not supplied it as a review unit (LTT was not given the iMac Pro) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Out of warranty screen damage when every iMac Pro sold to date is still in warranty? Hmmm, seems like a story HQ would believe without asking further questions. 

Uh... no, there's nothing remarkable about OOW screen repairs on a new machine, the warranty doesn't ever cover broken screens.

Based on this level of ignorance, I'm going to assume you've never worked in the industry at all and are just a troll.

Why would they question it?  "This guy wants to exchange money for goods and services!"  "Sounds nefarious, better dig deeper!!"

Its not just the display, multiple bits of the iMac Pro are broken. LTT did a lot more than break the screen. 

Wonder where Apple could possibly get parts for the iMac Pro?

And the warranty does matter. Without it Apple is not obligated to work with LTT until they have the service lanes needed to fix something like this. If they had their warranty Apple could do a lot more than nothing. 

Could they though?  Apparently the certification needed for Apple to ship the parts, doesn't even exist yet.  

How is that anything other than plain incompetence?

I gotta agree, You seem to have very little real experience with the Industry DrMacintosh. the word warranty is totally out the door with physical damage regardless of the cause or the part thats even damaged. Im not sure what you are trying say since the word warranty has nothing to do with the situation LTT is in right now.

Just now, PewlettHackard said:

Uh... no, there's nothing remarkable about OOW screen repairs on a new machine, the warranty doesn't ever cover broken screens.

Point? For a product like the iMac Pro, which does not have the proper lanes for repair set up for it according to LTT, Apple is not going to send the part for a out of warranty screen repair. 

Should Apple have these lanes set up by now? Yes. Is Apple required to make a special exception for LTT? No. 

You can open and break your machine all you want. Nobody is going to stop you if you bought the machine and were not supplied it as a review unit (LTT was not given the iMac Pro) 

Really?  Apple doesn't have SWAT teams standing by to prevent youtube tech reviewers from opening their legally purchased computers?  

What kind of vacuous statement is this?

1 minute ago, OTG said:

Could they though?  Apparently the certification needed for Apple to ship the parts, doesn't even exist yet.  

How is that anything other than plain incompetence?

Yes, there are other options than fixing the specific device. Refurb, replacements, device loan, surrender and replacement, etc. 

2 minutes ago, OTG said:

One that is fitting for the statement saying 

8 minutes ago, OTG said:

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'm not sure how you think create a repair in apple system works, but they don't questions reasons, all you need to place to order the part is the symptoms. So we don't care if you break it taking apart or if you intentionally dropped. We only ask that to know if will be cover under warranty or not, request a part for a repair is as easy and fast like typing 5 steps. 

Requesting a PSU, MLB and Display shouldn't be that difficult, I think not able to order those parts from apple store or apple service provider is unacceptable. If repair is OOW you proceed with the repair no matter what. The only possible reason I can think on is a device blacklisted. 

And not have the parts is not true, when the iMac Pro was launch, apple announced through their service system, it will take WUR or Whole Unit Replacement if is necessary to proceed with a repair.

come on, enough trolling and spamming this topic

Yes, there are other options than fixing the specific device. Refurb, replacements, device loan, surrender and replacement, etc. 

Yet they went with "nope, you're SOL".  

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, OTG said:

9 minutes ago, OTG said:

Man, you're hilarious.  Have you ever considered doing stand-up?  

Ive repaired these before at my work. Try checking out dvwarehouse.com they have pretty much any part you would need. With warranty on parts.

4 minutes ago, J.Sites said:

Im not sure what you are trying say since the word warranty has nothing to do with the situation LTT is in right now.

Apple isn't going to fix LTTs Mac because of how the machine was broken. Accidental damage as a result of deliberate action which voided Apples obligation to try and resolve the issue immediately. Not at this time, not without proper support lanes in place. 

Moving on... Ive sent out an email to our Apple Rep, my business is currently in talks with apple to become "Authorized" Im about 70% certain though this repair couldnt be completed simply because the device may need a logic board and they probably just dont have any available at this time as I have seen this happen more than a few times with the newest and topest of end apple products. It sucks but it happens, more than likely apple didnt anticipate to sell the imac pro in huge volumes like their other offering considering its price point. Parts are likely just hard to come by and It just might stay that way for quite some time Depending on how successful this product is actually selling, we may not have any options until imac pros for parts/not working start showing up on ebay, and bet that they will get sniped very very fast when they do.

In case not enough people told you. Try to get in touch with the guy from the Strange Parts on youtube. He does video where he went to shenzhen where they produce smartphones parts for tech companies and he built himself a custom iphone while also moding another or two more. Like people said on the forum, try getting in touch with whatever company manufacture these individuals parts that apple buy. Its kinda what he do in these videos.
https://strangeparts.com/about/

Is DMac in Richmond, BC still an authorized 3rd party repair shop for Apple??

Message me the Serial Number of this Mac. I can pull up details of the repair. 

9 minutes ago, OTG said:

Yet they went with "nope, you're SOL".  

Interesting.

As they should have. User caused damage without proper certifications to do component level repairs means LTT is just going to have to wait if they want Apple to repair the Mac. 

If this was a hardware failure caused by a product defect Apple could pursue some of the options stated by @Reizephyr......But this isn't hardware failure, its hardware damage as a result of intentional user action. Meaning potential replacement options are going to go to warranty repairs and a replacement unit would probably be sold at cost. 

Apple's (and others) insistence on not providing the repair/service guides and/or prevent parts from being easily sourced is a detriment to the wider world. It's just encouraging e-waste for profits rather than letting people repair, re-use and recycle.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple isn't going to fix LTTs Mac because of how the machine was broken. Accidental damage as a result of deliberate action which voided Apples obligation to try and resolve the issue immediately. Not at this time, not without proper support lanes in place. 

This is 100% not how apple does things. I know this because I fix Apple Products for a living and sometimes, not very often, but sometimes out of warranty repair is a customers best option and we work with apple to help them through this process of checking their devices and making an appointment, the primary reasons apple will refuse a repair are either they cant prove ownership of the device, or the device is just so old that they no longer carry the product, and so obliterated that doing a full frame and board swap simply isnt a cost effective option for them. The latter reason really only happens with obscure devices like ipods, 3rd gen iphones, pre 2008 imacs and macbooks etc.