Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

So I may not be able to suggest a fix for this but I may be able to shed some light on WHY apple is being such a pain about this and won't take the repair directly, a guy I work with was an apple certified technician and I showed him this video to see if he might have a little more insight on the situation and here is what he told me:

"so the situation behind that is a non-apple certified individual took it apart which is in violation of their terms and conditions. Because apple doesn’t know what that individual did, they don’t want to take responsibility if say a tiny little capacitor was removed that they didn’t catch and it ended up causing worse damage or bodily harm. They would essentially have to replace every part and test each one individually to guarantee their work which costs more in parts and technician time then it would for the user to purchase another machine, on a normal machine anyway iMac pros are stupid expensive, but Apple’s stance on Non-authorized technicians is very firm. Which is why had to be certified in everything I did at [REDACTED]."

Long story short Apple directly doesn't want the liability hence why they tried to push you guys to an AASP then they are not directly liable for any issues after the repair is completed.

I guess the iMac has been flagged. That is bad news for you, since all AASPs and Apple Stores use the same system (GSX) to keep track on all repairs and services ever made. That also includes simple service requests, where a device serial number has been entered or given.

That might be the reason, why AASPs do not get the parts. GSX does simply not allow them to order the display.

What might work: If you have access to another iMac Pro, you could swap the displays (make sure to use adhesive strips, that are as similar as possible to the original ones).

Then take the iMac to an AASP and get the iMac fixed there. Because it now has another serial number, a repair should be possible. Let's just hope, they do not need to validate the parts...

But please, do not let them know that you did service the device by yourself! Once this has been kept in a note in GSX, you will be most likely out of luck.

21 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

I am working at a car gararge in Germany and we had the same problem when the last car launched. We had an engine failure in the first three months and there were no parts and no guides for the car so we had to wait 10 months for all the parts and still had no insturctions. 

ipad rehab is a youtube channel that does soldering and repair videos for terribly damaged "i" devices. I have never seen them to an iMac before, but maybe they could help you out. Their website is here: http://mendonipadrehab.com/

Samsung LOVE to show Apple up! contact them and see if, with the specifications they could sort you out with an even better replacement screen.

1 hour ago, DesChan said:

Well , i not sure this is it the Parts you looking for
in china Market place , is possible to purchase the Retina 5K display Panal

The cabling arrangement is different on the pro and no-pro model. That makes them incompatible. Even though the panel is the same.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Hello Linus and Team I am an Apple certified Technician I am located in central Wisconsin I maybe able to assist you with your computer repair I hold the appropriate Certifications to perform repairs on iMac pros Please feel free to private message me If you haven't already had success with this repair case.

So the iMac Pro is brand new. Not all the parts are available to order yet. Apple has introduced a lot of new security measures and software to be able to configure it properly. My guess is that all of this took longer than expected. I am guessing that there will be no problem to have your iMac Pro repaired, just not right now (I have not looked into it, but this is just an educated guess).

Once all parts are in stock and training is rolled out, there will be no problem to repair it. 

Well,you can try to go to Huaqiangbei Electronics Market in Shenzhen, China。And there are many technicians there who can repair, there are some parts of the imac,they can repair it ;-)

I enquired to their sales team about such an issue occurring, pretending to be interested in purchasing one but wanted to know what sort of cover I would have. Basically they said if their tech support couldn't solve the issue then there would be a replacement, then they abruptly ended the chat before I could finish what I was typing, seems like they know what I was getting at, I took screenshots of the conversation. In their own words you should get a replacement. I will upload the images once I get on my laptop shortly. 

3 hours ago, SGLeeX said:

华强北了解下?

帮你翻译成英文了;-)

I'll send an email to my Apple business rep and see if they have any info. If enough people complain, I'm sure someone will do something about it.

Why Linus have not buy a screen when he gets into Shenzhen. Scotty can bring you to the right place to buy it 9_9

Hi LMG,

I work for an AASP and I am a certified tech. From all the documentation I have I don't see any issue with us doing a repair for you. If you are interested feel free to message me. The company is call Brown Computer Solutions.

Thank you.

@GabenJr

Chinese fan here. You can check out Huaqiangbei electronics market in Shenzhen. I'm sure there are real Apple experts. You can even make a video about the crazy Huaqiangbei market lol. I believe they can customize iPhones (illumination of logos, "drilling" 3.5mm headphone jacks, replace screens etc.).

Contact the Guys at IFIXIT.  They have some good contacts.

@GabenJr @LinusTech I didn't see a lot of evidence that there was direct human-to-human communication trying to get this resolved through Apple. I guarantee you if you worked this out in person with Apple they would understand what you've gone through and just give you a new iMac Pro. Solution: Try harder and talk to someone in person.

Can you try this place?

https://www.macpartsdepot.com/661-7513-lcd-assembly-display-a1418-for-imac-21-5inch-late-2012-2013.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw2dvWBRBvEiwADllhn5NbPxMnn2UDWQqQ7RJmo98ulJn1n30rZoC64WxVKcl44kmJoQVEpBoC7bEQAvD_BwE

Apple part number: 661-7513

Compatible models: iMac (21.5-inch Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch Late 2013), iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2014), A1418

Compatible Mac info. : iMac (21.5-inch Late 2012) 2.9 GHz Core i5 - MD094LL/A - A1418 - iMac13,1 - EMC 2544, iMac (21-inch Mid 2014) 1.4 GHz Core i5 - MF883LL/A - A1418 - iMac14,4 - EMC 2805, iMac (21.5-inch Late 2012) 3.1 GHz Core i7 - BTO/CTO - A1418 - iMac13,1 - EMC 2544, iMac (21.5-inch Early 2013) 3.2 GHz Core i5 - ME699LL/A - A1418 - iMac13,1 - EMC 2545, iMac (21.5-inch Late 2012) 3.2 GHz Core i5 - MD093LL/A - A1418 - iMac13,1 - EMC 2544, iMac (21.5-inch Late 2013) 2.9 GHz Core i5 - ME087LL/A - A1418 - iMac14,3 - EMC 2742, iMac (21.5-inch Late 2013) 2.7 GHz Core i5 - ME086LL/A - A1418 - iMac14,3 - EMC 2742, iMac (21.5-inch Late 2013) 3.1 GHz Core i7 - BTO/CTO - A1418 - iMac14,3 - EMC 2742

661-7513 LCD Assembly Display, A1418 for iMac 21.5inch Late 2012 - 2013

I am not sure if this will help. Just for your consideration.

Normally you can find most apple parts on the website www.taobao.com 

It is one of the Alibaba Group websites. It is Chinese, but I am sure you have someone can speak Chinese. I find something like this 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.65.3f963f53jx641X&id=544150435289&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

Before you by some apple parts there make sure you understand: maybe it is NOT original product, maybe it comes from some gray way.

If it is not work. There is one other way to try. It is called Huaqiangbei (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaqiangbei) . It is a very good electronic product market  in China which sells a lot of amazing things including apple parts (maybe not original,maybe not new, maybe comes from some gray way). maybe you can check what he do there 

I posted this in the main video discussion too, but then I saw this one that is more appropriate, so i thought I would post here too.

I work at a local (in Surrey) Best Buy as the manager for the Geek Squad department in the store. While I can't order the parts in to the store for you due to apples strict requierments, I can offer to send it to our repair center for you and make sure that there is no BS along the way. I have sent out regular iMacs for display replacement before and they have come back perfectly fine, but it would be a first for me for an iMac Pro.

Please let me know if you want more info and I will be happy to help. Message or email me for any personal information as i don't want my email or phone getting spammed.

@LinusTech You could find an old Mac Pro case and retrofit the hardware in that.. You'd need to use an external monitor, but it'd be a dope project to see!