Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

But when you say you Broke it the dealer would give you an answer of Yeah we can fix it, Due to X part you broke and the new headlights it will be $XXX and they would fix it. they wouldnt go Nah these headlights dont exist elsewhere so we wont help you good luck cause now the cars illegal to drive. 

That made my day lol, yes. I second this.

Not to mention "hey nobody knows how to fix it either"

15 hours ago, wowsers said:

I would actually argue against that because I got my imac for free that way :P, the company was gonna trash it because it stopped working (so I took it home), a couple days of diagnostics and it was the stock ram that had gone bad (there was also an aftermarket stick and that one still worked fortunately).

Ahahah, lucky you!

I am a former Genius Administrator for Apple.

Whoever works for that store 100% did not take care of you well. 

I don't know where you took it but in the US each store manager has the ability to completely replace your unit for the cost of the repair the are unable to perform. 

Since this is clearly a failure on apple's part, that is exactly what I would have done. 

If I were you, I would return to the store that rejected you and demand a new unit for their complete inability to perform a repair you were willing to pay for.

2 hours ago, bitted said:

LTT wins lots of money with all those advertisements. I'm sure they can buy other iMac Pro so they can make even more a storm against Apple. I wonder if the story was the same but with an Acer or other PC manufacturer brand they wouldn't be doing so much fuss about it.

The thing is brand new, LTT screwed with the machine and Apple does not have the parts. It is sad but they should take more care next time.

They screwed with the machine because as a tech enthusiast channel, that is what they do. They admit that the problem was due to their mishandling and are willing to spend money to repair it. The point of the video is that they can not get the machine repaired from Apple. Of course everyone should take care of their machines, but accidents happen. The problem is that Apple are unwilling to repair the thing.  

Also, why does such a big company as Apple not have any spare parts for customer service? So any damage to your machine may require you to buy a new one.

Sent from my Casio fx-991ES

I'm surprised nobody had noticed but if you look at 1:07, they obviously stated that they had opened the device and had attempted to reassemble the device but had broken the device while doing so. Yeah sure, disassembling and reassembling the device should never be viewed as a bad thing, but if you wanted the device to get repaired by APPLE, literally by APPLE; then don't inform APPLE literally that you had disassembled the product and broke it while reassembling it. They will never and LIKE LITERALLY (WHITE GIRL ACCENT) fix something that would immediately void your warranty policy. If you wanted the product to get fixed, you should have lied to them that the product had fallen from on top of a table, ask them how much they would charge you to fix it and the problem would have been resolved immediately. Now, you can't use this method in order to fix the current iMac since you had stated the serial number in order to open a case with apple's customer support. They keep track of what you've stated for that iMac.

BUT FOR A GOOD VIDEO IDEA, I SUGGEST YOU BUY ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT, TELL THEM THAT THE PRODUCT SCREEN HAD GOTTEN DAMAGED BECAUSE IT HAD FALLEN ONTO THE FLOOR. AND THEN, I PROMISE YOU, THE PRODUCT WILL BE FIXED BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER "DISASSEMBLED". TRUST ME, EVEN THEIR GENIUSES DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE WHEN A PRODUCT HAD BEEN DISASSEMBLED OR NOT DISASSEMBLED, unless you make it obvious. If you use this idea, you could get sued FOR LYING ON HOW THE DEVICE HAD GOTTEN DAMAGED or banned from getting another apple product repaired so don't do it.

Sorry I wrote a lot....

Hello,

I am an Apple Authorized Mac Technicican and work for a university as a student worker fixing Mac products. I have the certfication for the iMac Pro. So I am confused as to why you guys are saying the certification does not exist. I have a screen shot showing my certification and can provide proof if necessary. Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying. I do believe we should be able to order the parts and could look into the possibility of shipping it to my university repair shop (which is an AASP) to get serviced and then returned to you. Unfortunately we could not order the parts and just give them to you as you already stated in the video. If you have any questions or want me to look into anything feel free to reach me by my email. 

Thank you,

DelliriousDonut

2 minutes ago, DelliriousDonut said:

Hello,

I am an Apple Authorized Mac Technicican and work for a university as a student worker fixing Mac products. I have the certfication for the iMac Pro. So I am confused as to why you guys are saying the certification does not exist. I have a screen shot showing my certification and can provide proof if necessary. Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying. I do believe we should be able to order the parts and could look into the possibility of shipping it to my university repair shop (which is an AASP) to get serviced and then returned to you. Unfortunately we could not order the parts and just give them to you as you already stated in the video. If you have any questions or want me to look into anything feel free to reach me by my email. 

Thank you,

DelliriousDonut

You're in Canada? Whats the Assessment code on https://certifications.apple.com/

2 minutes ago, DelliriousDonut said:

Hello,

Thank you,

DelliriousDonut

From the stuff said earlier in the thread it seems canadian AASP's don't have the option to take the course to become an imac pro technician for the specific model, at least from what I've understood.

Service part availability

Most service parts will be available in early January. If parts are not available for repair, continue to place an order for the service part. If the part will not be available within 10 business days, Apple will process a replacement computer (CRU) for the customer. If the computer was purchased from the Apple Online Store (AOS) within 14 days, the customer can call AOS directly for an RMA and replacement computer. Customer replacement orders are prioritized so the customer receives their replacement computer as soon as possible.

This is from GSX. Since Linus has voided the warranty, Apple no longer will provide the CRU. However when stock becomes available for the local technicians (if the cert is available and taken), it will be eligible for repair at the customers expense.

If Linus does not want to go through apple for whatever reason, he could also contact Hossein at macplace.ca. This guy is equipped to do component level repairs and should have similar equipment to the guy the echo chambers been talking about. Plus he's only a hour drive instead of a plane ride away

this is bit off topic but eh , hope this entertains Linus to a degree to take out his frustration towards Apple.

(⌐■_■) 

this is the motherboard 

• Motherboard: Asus – X99-E-10G WS SSI CEB LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($649.00)

7 hours ago, A1 Private said:

Consumer law is automatic with Apple. If you have a product that qualifies for consumer law they will give automatic coverage, all you literally have to do is sign a form and thats it, this is for up to 6 years. Why you say you sued them is bizarre. I ran a repair centre and they literally built it into the system so products COULDN'T be charged for. 

In the UK Consumer law is not automatic with Apple. Hence me having to go to court. Judge ruled in my favour as they refused to abide by the law. A senior support adviser from Apple Care said I could claim but the store and the Apple Executive Relations Team all refused to deal with my laptop under consumer law. 

Ill PM you a post about this. 

But it seems like Apple just do not care at all about their customers. 

4 hours ago, BryanTechTipsWithoutLINUS said:

I'm surprised nobody had noticed but if you look at 1:07, they obviously stated that they had opened the device and had attempted to reassemble the device but had broken the device while doing so. Yeah sure, disassembling and reassembling the device should never be viewed as a bad thing, but if you wanted the device to get repaired by APPLE, literally by APPLE; then don't inform APPLE literally that you had disassembled the product and broke it while reassembling it. They will never and LIKE LITERALLY (WHITE GIRL ACCENT) fix something that would immediately void your warranty policy. If you wanted the product to get fixed, you should have lied to them that the product had fallen from on top of a table, ask them how much they would charge you to fix it and the problem would have been resolved immediately. Now, you can't use this method in order to fix the current iMac since you had stated the serial number in order to open a case with apple's customer support. They keep track of what you've stated for that iMac.

BUT FOR A GOOD VIDEO IDEA, I SUGGEST YOU BUY ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT, TELL THEM THAT THE PRODUCT SCREEN HAD GOTTEN DAMAGED BECAUSE IT HAD FALLEN ONTO THE FLOOR. AND THEN, I PROMISE YOU, THE PRODUCT WILL BE FIXED BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER "DISASSEMBLED". TRUST ME, EVEN THEIR GENIUSES DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE WHEN A PRODUCT HAD BEEN DISASSEMBLED OR NOT DISASSEMBLED, unless you make it obvious. If you use this idea, you could get sued FOR LYING ON HOW THE DEVICE HAD GOTTEN DAMAGED or banned from getting another apple product repaired so don't do it.

Sorry I wrote a lot....

Did you watch the video out of interest?

They never claimed to have not voided the warranty, and were wanting pay for the repair. All costs were to be on LTT not Apple.

Ian...

hey i did some looking the best way to get parts for your imac pro is to buy a broke unit on ebay and put the good parts in you imac pro

I actually worked at an AASP on the sales floor in Canada. I can tell you that even if they did have the part and repair guides/training available they still would not touch the device. It is policy for all AASP who deal directly with Apple for their parts (at least as far as I am aware) that if a Mac device has been opened or used third-party parts then the device is to be turned away this goes for everything from phones to macbooks. The only thing our technicians can do is install third party drives in vintage models as Apple no longer supplies most parts for products classified as such. The belief among us peons is that once you've touched or messed with the device Apple is not willing to deal with it as it is no longer an "Apple product" so they cannot guarantee it's performance, reliability etc. At this point I believe your best option is try to source a third-party screen that may work with it, and they may not even exist at this point for iMac Pro's

7 hours ago, Fuzzock said:

They never claimed to have not voided the warranty, and were wanting pay for the repair. All costs were to be on LTT not Apple.

Ian...

It's not about cost for Apple. It's about product reputation and purity. It's important to understand it's not physical inability (usually) but rather business policy and one that to my knowledge Apple is very strict about. And yes it sucks but Apple is crazy about controlling their product like that. I can believe that they don't have alot of spare parts rn for the machines but even if they did they still likely wouldn't repair it

9 hours ago, Fuzzock said:

Ian...

Sorry for the confusion but this was what i meant by warranty. 

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions.html

2.If service is needed due to failure of parts that are not original to the product or due to damage caused by abuse, misuse or any external cause, Apple reserves the right to return the product to you without servicing it, and may hold you responsible for any indicated diagnostic fee. Apple will not be responsible for any damage to the product that occurs during the repair process that is a result of any unauthorized modifications or repairs or replacements not performed by Apple or an AASP. If damage results, Apple will seek your authorization for any additional costs for completing service even if the product is covered by warranty or an AppleCare service plan. If you decline authorization, Apple may return your product unrepaired in the damaged condition without any responsibility.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

You should reply on this criticizes linus as he knows everything and linus not!

38 minutes ago, Lightwaves said:

You should reply on this criticizes linus as he knows everything and linus not!

This video is truly distasteful.

He doesn't seem to get the whole point, any other company would fix the device if you paid for it.

Apple however doesn't, but here is the kicker :

They sometimes do.

I got them to fix devices I fiddled with, how? I honestly have no clue, just kept nagging them about it.

Look I partially agree with "Apple says in their policy they do not do that", but isn't that just ignorance? That policy shouldn't exist.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Apple don't actually make the things themselves, so it might be possible to get parts straight from the factory. Probably through a side door would be my guess.

Can't you ask questions while you're in China @LinusTech? Unless you've been and gone already.

You might need an interpreter though and one familiar with the tech industry, I've read and heard about some very interesting stories about getting things done. The factory might not be doing anything to cause a shortage so they can charge more when they start again!

1 hour ago, BryanTechTipsWithoutLINUS said:

Sorry for the confusion but this was what i meant by warranty. 

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions.html

2.If service is needed due to failure of parts that are not original to the product or due to damage caused by abuse, misuse or any external cause, Apple reserves the right to return the product to you without servicing it, and may hold you responsible for any indicated diagnostic fee. Apple will not be responsible for any damage to the product that occurs during the repair process that is a result of any unauthorized modifications or repairs or replacements not performed by Apple or an AASP. If damage results, Apple will seek your authorization for any additional costs for completing service even if the product is covered by warranty or an AppleCare service plan. If you decline authorization, Apple may return your product unrepaired in the damaged condition without any responsibility.

They aren't asking for a warranty repair, they're asking to pay to have the device repaired.

Down here, in Oz, the we've got consumer laws. This link talks about third party repairs and being excluded from getting help from Apple afterwards.

I've no idea what the consumer laws are in Canada, I'm sure they aren't good in the US as the US is all about screwing the consumers out of as much money as they can, because Capitalism. :-/

Okay, so here's what a former AASP technician would do:
Take it into any number of AASPs, I personally would take it across the border to Microcenter and have them fix it. They are AASP and any given location has a fully-certified technician, and maybe a couple partially certified, they can source parts from other vendors as well. However, increasingly tightening Apple restrictions means that any Apple that's not vintage or obselete has to be fixed with Apple genuine parts. I would try Microcenter. The Michigan store that I worked at were a great bunch of guys, equally knowledgable in things PC and Mac.

Why do you have to take he machine to Apple or an AASP? Serial numbers. Their internal parts (hard drive, power supply, display, etc) are serialized, and their repair system (GSX) prompts you to enter the old and new serial numbers for the parts you've ordered. If you take in the machine, but the part in question doesn't have the correct serial number, you're paying for the repair, because it's not the same serial number, and no longer have a warranty.

Yes, the certification things are dumb, but it's there for a reason. Did you know that opening the 12" Macbooks, you actually have to "crack" it open slightly, then hold a button down until the machine ACTUALLY turns off (yes, powering off is not really powering off), then you can continue opening the machine.

What's even more annoying is that now that I'm not working at an AASP anymore, I still have my certifications (because I transferred them to my personal Apple ID), but I no longer can work on Macs, because I need to be associated with an AASP. I have the training (and can probably fix the machine if I can get the parts), but without access to GSX, you won't have a warranty.
Yes, if you don't mind not having a warranty, I can replace the screen, if given the parts.

Macs lately don't contain any user serviceable parts anymore. Starting with the Retina MBP's, the screw-heads changed to a Pentahead screwdriver, simply because the memory is soldered onto the computer, the SSD is proprietary, and the battery is glued and part of the unibody keyboard (yes, nothing a customer can replace). Even more recently, the SSD is also part of the motherboard, meaning that a liquid spill will not only kill your computer, but also your data (get an external drive and backup the computer! even a Time Machine will work, anything)! The 12" Macbook motherboard looks a lot like a SoC!

Enough of me rambling. Take it into Microcenter, they have a very good track record with Apple, and I was their head Apple tech in the Michigan location (I'm fully certified up to that point) for 3 years from 2013 to 2016.
If you want to ship it into the Michigan store, let me know, I'll have to talk to the Manager and the techs there (I still know them and probably should hang out with them again), just to make sure everything is copacetic.