Intel Core i7 8086K

NumLock21
3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'll entrench forever on the idea of prehistoric PCs being superior to current PCs until I can switch between stock and an OC profile with a push of a hardware button.

Booting to BIOS? Loading preset? Save & restart? Ain't nobody got time for that!

(I can settle for a knob flipping through increasingly aggressive profiles. Just so that I can "turn it to 11". Once, most likely.)

It's not really 11 if it works more than once

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'll entrench forever on the idea of prehistoric PCs being superior to current PCs until I can switch between stock and an OC profile with a push of a hardware button.

Booting to BIOS? Loading preset? Save & restart? Ain't nobody got time for that!

(I can settle for a knob flipping through increasingly aggressive profiles. Just so that I can "turn it to 11". Once, most likely.)

So, you want an MSi Gaming Pro or Godlike Gaming board. Got it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

18 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Lenovo actually a desktop that has a turbo knob, along with a light indicator bar. At idle it's green, turn to max and it glows red. The thing is, that knob actually works.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I've been thinking for a year or more about something like this - wanting Intel to produce a 40th anniversary of 8086, with that in its name. :)

I mostly would have kept the name the same (something including 8086), but I might have wanted a few things improved, for example

• Tweak the name slightly, for example Core i7-8086X (although i3 would be more appropriate given the 2nd number being a 0)
  • Make it 8 cores, 16 threads (in commemoration of the 16-bit architecture of the original 8086; or if possible on mainstream sockets, 16 cores, 32 threads.)  (Might need to remove the iGPU to make room for it; maybe bundle something like a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB with it instead.)
  • Make it 4.7 GHz or 5 GHz base (remembering the 4.77 MHz of the IBM PC, or 5 MHz of the 8086.
  • Unlock EVERYTHING on it - multiplier overclocking, ECC RAM support (including registered), V-Pro (or whatever), etc.
  • Make versions compatible with ALL sockets Intel has ever used (all the way back to the 40-pin DIPP or 68-pin PLCC, or something like that - if possible; if not, then at least back to PGA 370 or LGA 775.)  Bonus points if overclocking, ECC RAM, etc, could be enabled on boards / chipsets that didn't originally support it, with limitations understandable on OC for boards with weak VRMs.  Also, preferably, bios update not needed from the manufacturer.  (In some cases they may have long since gone out of business.)
  • If possible, have as much (or more) overclocking headroom percentage as legendary overclockers of past eras, like the i5-2500K, Core 2 Duo family, Celeron 300A, etc - on a stock cooler (the push-pin heatsink+fan without heatpipes).
  • Price it the same as the original launch price of the 8086 ($86.65), or maybe double ($173.30).  (Interestingly, according to a couple inflation calculators, $86.65 in 1978 would be $341.07 in 2018, similar to the normal price of today's i7 CPUs.)
  • Release it on the exact anniversary day (June 8, 2018)
  • Produce as many of those as were produced of the 8086 family.

17 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I've been thinking for a year or more about something like this - wanting Intel to produce a 40th anniversary of 8086, with that in its name. :)

I mostly would have kept the name the same (something including 8086), but I might have wanted a few things improved, for example

• Tweak the name slightly, for example Core i7-8086X (although i3 would be more appropriate given the 2nd number being a 0)
  • Make it 8 cores, 16 threads (in commemoration of the 16-bit architecture of the original 8086; or if possible on mainstream sockets, 16 cores, 32 threads.)  (Might need to remove the iGPU to make room for it; maybe bundle something like a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB with it instead.)
  • Make it 4.7 GHz or 5 GHz base (remembering the 4.77 MHz of the IBM PC, or 5 MHz of the 8086.
  • Unlock EVERYTHING on it - multiplier overclocking, ECC RAM support (including registered), V-Pro (or whatever), etc.
  • Make versions compatible with ALL sockets Intel has ever used (all the way back to the 40-pin DIPP or 68-pin PLCC, or something like that - if possible; if not, then at least back to PGA 370 or LGA 775.)  Bonus points if overclocking, ECC RAM, etc, could be enabled on boards / chipsets that didn't originally support it, with limitations understandable on OC for boards with weak VRMs.  Also, preferably, bios update not needed from the manufacturer.  (In some cases they may have long since gone out of business.)
  • If possible, have as much (or more) overclocking headroom percentage as legendary overclockers of past eras, like the i5-2500K, Core 2 Duo family, Celeron 300A, etc - on a stock cooler (the push-pin heatsink+fan without heatpipes).
  • Price it the same as the original launch price of the 8086 ($86.65), or maybe double ($173.30).  (Interestingly, according to a couple inflation calculators, $86.65 in 1978 would be $341.07 in 2018, similar to the normal price of today's i7 CPUs.)
  • Release it on the exact anniversary day (June 8, 2018)
  • Produce as many of those as were produced of the 8086 family.

You had me with the first point but then it just went off the rails :P

• 16 cores on the mainstream!?  They barely give that much on their top enthusiast platform (18 iirc)
  • ok, this one also sounds fine
  • that wouldn't hurt but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth... who would use it for that?
  • ok that's just impossible.  This is where I started to realize this wasn't a realistic list :P
  • If it's gonna have a 5 GHz base, there's no way they can have a lot of overclocking headroom - it'll have to be one or the other
  • again impossible, it would have to cost at least as much as a 8700k as is, never mind with all this stuff!
  • that would work ... in fact, they haven't said when it will launch so they might still do this
  • hm... but wasn't that a lot?  That's probably too many.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I guess we'll get the anniversary for that one in 2022

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I guess we'll get the anniversary for that one in 2022

Kids these days have no sense of history. :P

"AMD WILL JUST COPY INTEL AND MAKE A BIGGER NUMBER!"
"Children, gather around and I'll tell you of the days when AMD was paid by Intel to make some of their CPUs. :3"

53 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

"Children, gather around and I'll tell you of the days when AMD was paid by Intel to make some of their CPUs. :3"

Wasn't their first one the 9080 though?

I don't own a coffee lake board, nor want to buy one, but I want one of these chips anyway just for the name

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

except for the name, I would love to have one of these and tell friends how I'm running a 8086 @ 5Ghz xD

Old case turbo button and your set. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

The only reason AMD created the 586 was because Intel changed the naming scheme and then trademarked the name Pentium to try and stop others from copying their chips.

The 586 wasn't even a copy of the Pentium anyway, it was merely the incremental update to the 486 chips in the same way the 486 was an update of the 386.

By the time 586 released AMD had realised cloning Intel would no longer cut it and were well underway designing their own K6 series which when released was superior to Pentium in many aspects.

Do you remember Cyrix Ashley? The sweet period when there were 3 legitimate choices of CPU manufacturers.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)