T-Mobile Austria Confirms They Stores All Customer Passwords In Clear Text - UPDATED

LAwLz
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

My company has pretty good security.

Everything sensitive is paper copy only or on an external drive that has never, and will never, be used on a computer with any network access.

In a fire safe.

Guarded by a fairly vicious dog.

And occasionally, a guy with a gun

You forgot to mention the moat filled with Legos and UK power plugs that surrounds the fire safe!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

You forgot to mention the moat filled with Legos and UK power plugs that surrounds the fire safe!

Also drunk soccer fans

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

59 minutes ago, Ekin said:

Wow. The whole twitter thread is a disaster...

Whoever is in charge of that T-Mobile twitter account needs sacked. They sound seriously stupid and are tarnishing the T-Mobile brand, we have no idea if what this person is saying is true. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Both failed preliminary testing.

However, -Redacted political joke regarding a wall-

Microkappa

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I just went and read most of the Twitter thread, and the T-Mobile person says they do that so that they can use the password as a security question, both on the phone and in person at the stores ... This means an easy weak link is any T-Mobile store or kiosk, hearing this is just scary AF!!!

Anyone that has simple understanding of IT security would see why this is a problem (even if the stores didn't have access to the plain text passwords).

If this is all true, it's a horrific security hole.

1. Don't store your customer's passwords in plain text, whatever the reason is, it's not a good enough reason.
  2. Don't use client's passwords as a security question, this is the least secure way to verify a client's identity, especially if the passwords are stored in plain text.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

T-Mobile person says they do that so that they can use the password as a security question, both on the phone and in person at the stores

Seriously!!!  What level of security check do they perform on the person in the store or over the phone?  

Wow.. the first 4 characters are visible to employees??

THIS JUST IN, 95% OF ALL THE MOBILE CUSTOMERS HAVE PASSWORD: pass********

.... I'm waiting for a customer to sort this database by passed, alphabetically.

I'm not saying this is good, it isn't But working on the Webcare team of the Dutch part of T-Mobile. A lot of people they let onto the Twitter account are full of shit.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

wow, just ... amazing xD I really don't have words for it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I wonder how long until someone tries to hack them just to show how weak it is. "we have amazing security" is pretty much an open invitation for people to try and prove you wrong.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I've been thinking about this trying to take it all in and it's still just shocking to the point of being hard to accept this is actually happening.  The fact they store passwords like that should already be a huge piece of negative PR on its own, but their replies have only made it worse.  This level of arrogance and incompetence is a terrible combination.  Furthermore the announcement that they store passwords in plain text has made them a target whether they realize it or not since everyone now knows they could get passwords if they pull it off, which in most cases can't be assumed.  I can't wait until they inevitably are breached and have to explain to shareholders why they did this, announced that they did it, and then ignored cries that it's unsafe and that they need to fix it.  It will not be good for them.  It's common sense that this is a very bad practice, but for them to admit they do it, and then to defend it... it's incomprehensible.

And how can they say the employees can see the first 4 characters?  If it's in plain text, then they can see the whole thing lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

26 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And how can they say the employees can see the first 4 characters?  If it's in plain text, then they can see the whole thing lol

Stored in plaintext in the database but most employees won't have the permissions available to read the whole field. Database admins can of course see the whole thing.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, 2FA said:

Stored in plaintext in the database but most employees won't have the permissions available to read the whole field. Database admins can of course see the whole thing.

Yeah, and those DBAs are employees are they not? :P 

Not to mention if they're incompetent enough to do this, there's no telling what other unimaginably bad practices might be going on... for all you know the kiosk level people do have read access to the whole thing xD

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, and those DBAs are employees are they not? :P 

Not to mention if they're incompetent enough to do this, there's no telling what other unimaginably bad practices might be going on... for all you know the kiosk level people do have read access to the whole thing xD

Why are you being so semantic? I was explaining how it was possible.

I prefer not to speculate.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Just now, 2FA said:

Why are you being so semantic? I was explaining how it was possible.

I prefer not to speculate.

I'm just saying the whole thing is a mess.  I guess in the actual thread they specifically said the kiosk people have access to the first 4 characters, which I guess they intended as "oh don't worry we can't see the whole thing, just the first four", but I look at it as a) well it's stored so someone has access to the whole thing, so that's still bad, and b) if it was just the DBAs that would already be bad but the fact that kiosk people can see anything at all is even worse imo. It's just bad in all ways and it's breaking my brain to even try to comprehend this so if I don't make sense please don't take it the wrong way :P

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm just saying the whole thing is a mess.  I guess in the actual thread they specifically said the kiosk people have access to the first 4 characters, which I guess they intended as "oh don't worry we can't see the whole thing, just the first four", but I look at it as a) well it's stored so someone has access to the whole thing, so that's still bad, and b) if it was just the DBAs that would already be bad but the fact that kiosk people can see anything at all is even worse imo. It's just bad in all ways and it's breaking my brain to even try to comprehend this so if I don't make sense please don't take it the wrong way :P

Yeah, plaintext is bad. If they have one or both a CIO/CISO, they should be fired. Their authentication policies are terrible for using passwords as a security question. If you're going to use multiple "something you know" forms of authentication, make them not overlap at all.

Just now, 2FA said:

Yeah, plaintext is bad. If they have one or both a CIO/CISO, they should be fired. Their authentication policies are terrible for using passwords as a security question. If you're going to use multiple "something you know" forms of authentication, make them not overlap at all.

Yeah that kind of defeats the purpose of having two doesn't it? xD

5 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

But didn't you hear? They have amazing security. ;)

Yes... their security is so good, it doesn't need to be good...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

This is insaine, I really hope the twitter person is just full of shit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hmm pretty ignorant tweet. Amazing security...right.

10 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

This isn't just TMobile Australia, this is TMobile in general tbh

Also: LOL

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

welp if anything, she just summoned every hacker in search of something fun to do for the weekend 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>