Mainstream Intel 8th gen boards

NumLock21

Idk if I am crazy or unreasonable but some of these boards make me kinda mad. I see people all the time buying h series and b series motherboards with gaming in the name and gaming theme. Then they find out that they can't overclock their cpu and feel lied to. I just feel like you really shouldn't put gaming in the mobos name if it's not overclockable tbh.

17 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Pffft, 2/3rds of their line-up didn't have a home unless you future-proofed with fast RAM and tons of RGB. 

Hide contents

And I would play devil's advocate for RGB being future-proof. At least until someone makes a beautiful white and blue board like the Designare series by ASRock. 

Doesn't Ryzen like faster memory? It makes a difference but not nearly as much with Intel.

Also I think Gigabyte made the Designare line ;) I'd like to see more white boards too, this black and red only thing is kinda old.

ASRock has some color but...odd ones. That are hard to match with other components.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Idk if I am crazy or unreasonable but some of these boards make me kinda mad. I see people all the time buying h series and b series motherboards with gaming in the name and gaming theme. Then they find out that they can't overclock their cpu and feel lied to. I just feel like you really shouldn't put gaming in the mobos name if it's not overclockable tbh.

The problem is not the boards.  The issue is people on forums really think and promote that you have to have a Z series board to game.  Overclocking is not essential to gaming (and never really has been).  I always recommend a H series for any budget build and even some mid tier builds depending on the users desires.   I have always used H series boards because I do not overclock and have yet to play a game that is CPU limited where a few more Hz would have made all the difference. 

TBH When I get mad when I see people spring the extra $50-100 for a Z series board because of enthusiast narrative about performance, yet for the entire time they have that board a H series would have given them the same experience.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh boy, I really wanted a modern system with a built-in RS-232 serial port and a parallel port.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The problem is not the boards.  The issue is people on forums really think and promote that you have to have a Z series board to game.  Overclocking is not essential to gaming (and never really has been).  I always recommend a H series for any budget build and even some mid tier builds depending on the users desires.   I have always used H series boards because I do not overclock and have yet to play a game that is CPU limited where a few more Hz would have made all the difference. 

TBH When I get mad when I see people spring the extra $50-100 for a Z series board because of enthusiast narrative about performance, yet for the entire time they have that board a H series would have given them the same experience.

Especially now since "overclocking" with a Coffee Lake CPU adds about an 8% performance boost for most cases I've seen. Why spend (a WAG) extra $100-$150 for an 8% increase? And even then, you may need to buy a heftier cooling system.

On a semi-related note, I do get peeved at people who dismiss mini-ITX boards because "you pay the same for less" when I see people with larger boards using to the same extent as they would a Mini-ITX board and they rarely, if ever, go beyond it. That's not to say everyone should dump larger boards, but to immediately dismiss smaller boards for that reason is hogwash.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh boy, I really wanted a modern system with a built-in RS-232 serial port and a parallel port.

Especially now since "overclocking" with a Coffee Lake CPU adds about an 8% performance boost for most cases I've seen. Why spend (a WAG) extra $100-$150 for an 8% increase? And even then, you may need to buy a heftier cooling system.

On a semi-related note, I do get peeved at people who dismiss mini-ITX boards because "you pay the same for less" when I see people with larger boards using to the same extent as they would a Mini-ITX board and they rarely, if ever, go beyond it. That's not to say everyone should dump larger boards, but to immediately dismiss smaller boards for that reason is hogwash.

Not only that but that 8% rarely translates into perceivable difference in games.   Which is why I am waiting (rather impatiently) for these boards to hit the market. 

Also agree with ITX thing, although it is still good to see the com port.  Someone out there programming old eeproms must be grateful it exists. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

Also agree with ITX thing, although it is still good to see the com port.  Someone out there programming old eeproms must be grateful it exists. 

Maybe, just maybe USB to RS-232 adapters are finally good.

Though for I use a FTDI USB to serial cable these days for new projects (if I ever get to one)

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maybe, just maybe USB to RS-232 adapters are finally good.

Though for I use a FTDI USB to serial cable these days for new projects (if I ever get to one)

TBH I can't imagine anyone still programming the old eeproms.  Not with all this new arduino stuff that is so cheap and modular.

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And any dev board worth considering would have a USB based JTAG daughter circuit on it.

All my experience with this stuff was back in the late 80's early 90's when USB was a pipe dream in a nerds head.  From memory (and somewhat fuzzy at that) you had 2 choices back then for a programming board, a DIY job or a $500 box.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cheese balls, check out that CMOS battery. It's definitely going to make games run faster. :P

Spoiler

1522309383309.thumb.jpg.f2da63797dcd0eb1829dc6596434af37.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Holy cheese balls, check out that CMOS battery. It's definitely going to make games run faster. :P

+5 to Casting Rate. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Hide contents

1522309383309.thumb.jpg.f2da63797dcd0eb1829dc6596434af37.jpg

let's put chinese characters all over the place, and in the western market we can put whatever we want cos they cant read it anyway!  

/s 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 29/03/2018 at 1:52 AM, TheSLSAMG said:

Same. I miss Gigabyte's old G1.Sniper boards. The green looked cool, and sometimes you got weird shit like skulls or shell casings on the heatsink design.

>shell casings 

>bullets

>guns fire bullets 

Banned. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 3/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, TVwazhere said:

*Asus Board meeting (heh, board meeting)*

Alright we need a new look for our ROG Strix Lineup. We need more Gamer looking motherboard styling to stand out from the likes of MSI, Gigabyte and AsRock. Whats more gamery that a cool logo and RGB?

Well sir, Everyone has moved to full black or white PCB's or simple angular overlay designs.... What if we... Added lots of splash texts to our PCBs?

Hey thats a good Idea! Lets just- *smack* AsRock has being doing that forever. We need something better!!!

Well... What if we angled the text? Gamers like edgy things...

Not bad not bad, but we need just something more...

Sir, should we color and italicize the text to look like falling rain that travels across the Chipset? And put in wording to remind them to join our cult?

Reveal hidden contents

ASUS-STRIX-B360-G.jpg.680c525c6931dc4efc02cb6f65c1c5e7.jpg

Ricky You're a goddamn genius. Here are my keys, go to my house and f*** my wife

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

5ac8dd2bb949e_AlrightGentlemanAsusMotherboard.png.48d1e552e3517288132b1c7a0abd5185.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

tfw the h370 boards from Asus look nicer than my Maximus X Code..

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

The white MSI boards make me think they saw the LTT video where they decorated Linus' office with motherboards then painted them white.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

took me a while, but not enough to include the shadows and the traces, but DAMMIT THIS IS THE AMOUNT OF TIME I'M HAVING TO SPEND ON THIS

hpSLEmR.png&key=791e51631e203778166a26b33bc4015ce7313186c187085ea9d2e71cb6535e93

ASUS, seriously.

EDIT: (and just because I saved the PSD) I'd rather you do this

9sfGS7oh.png

EDITx2: shit there's one or a few more I just remembered. dammit it's 2AM and my PC's already off

ROD

Republic of Doge

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

ASUS-TUF-H310M-PLUS.jpg

I know this is a H310 board so it's a little more lower end than like H370

but in terms of price AMD's B350 is like right next to the H370s im guessing

and it's interesting that it seems that Asus at least puts more shit on their B350-TUF than they do on their H310 TUF, I wonder if they will make a H370 TUF because that'd be fairer to compare to the AMD B350 TUF

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

On 3/28/2018 at 10:37 AM, dizmo said:

I wonder what my gay friends would have to say about that xD

Most people do. AMD does as well. Chipsets aren't the same thing as a socket, if that's what you mean ;)

I like that they put out a new chipset every year. There are always improvements that can be made, and it's foolish not to reap them as soon as possible. While yes, your rig might have lasted you 8 years and you weren't planning on building another one, you're not the only person they make products for.

Well Intel has generally allowed chipsets to be backwards compatible with the socket, I could update my Z170 board to run Z270 chips, but a Z270 board or my Z170 board would not be able to run Z370 CPUs despite them using the same socket, 1151.

When Ryzen+ comes out, Im guessing something like X470, B450, A420 will replace X370, B350, and A320

and Ryzen 2, that'll be X570, B550, A520

they should all use AM4 and it sounded like AMD was going to try to allow like Ryzen 2 to work on a X370 or B350 board

Ryzen+ seems to work either flawlessly or maybe a bios update on current boards.

Depending on how much better Ryzen 2 is, which iirc was suppose to be 7nm. I will hopefully be able to take my Ryzen 7 1700 and put a presumptive Ryzen 7 4700 in its place on my B350 board and just update the bios, which Asus will hopefully have updated.

Guessing when Ryzen+ APUs come out next year I'm guessing, those would use 3xxx and Ryzen 2 would be 4xxx.

I remember them saying Ryzen 3 (architecture not CPU) was going to be 2020

Zen 3 might not support X370, etc.

Ryzen2.jpg&f=1

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

17 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well Intel has generally allowed chipsets to be backwards compatible with the socket, I could update my Z170 board to run Z270 chips, but a Z270 board or my Z170 board would not be able to run Z370 CPUs despite them using the same socket, 1151.

When Ryzen+ comes out, Im guessing something like X470, B450, A420 will replace X370, B350, and A320

and Ryzen 2, that'll be X570, B550, A520

they should all use AM4 and it sounded like AMD was going to try to allow like Ryzen 2 to work on a X370 or B350 board

Ryzen+ seems to work either flawlessly or maybe a bios update on current boards.

Depending on how much better Ryzen 2 is, which iirc was suppose to be 7nm. I will hopefully be able to take my Ryzen 7 1700 and put a presumptive Ryzen 7 4700 in its place on my B350 board and just update the bios, which Asus will hopefully have updated.

Guessing when Ryzen+ APUs come out next year I'm guessing, those would use 3xxx and Ryzen 2 would be 4xxx.

I remember them saying Ryzen 3 (architecture not CPU) was going to be 2020

Zen 3 might not support X370, etc.

Yes. I know.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

your pic says: R-G-B 

all i see is K-G-B. 

asking for trouble huh? Does Putin know about this? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.