Need help choosing the right monitor.

joe_ollie909
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,

I'd get the new Alienware 32" 4K 240Hz, would be fine with your setup

Hi all,

I am after a new OLED monitor for my PC. I am stuck in between a LG C3 or any of the AW OLED'S.

I play most games at 1440p, I would like to play RDR2, Forza Horizon at 4K which I was going to get a 4k OLED Monitor, but redditors told me that would make my 1440p games look worse.

I have a RTX 4080 Super with a 7800X3D.

Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Non-native resolutions do look bad with native scaling.

I bought AW2725DF, a 360Hz 1440p QD-OLED, and would recommend, though glossy surface gets easily smeared.

All comes down to what you want - bigger 4K screen on smaller 1440p one, though also the difference of QD-OLED versus WOLED, both have some goods and bads.

I edit my posts more often than not

Mind you, AW 34's are the older models with fan cooling for either just the frame sync module + monitor or both.

Practically, you want one of the passively cooled monitors, namely I'd say the MSI. It costs around $780 being one of the better deals out of them.

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

12 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If I played games at 1440p, on the 4K monitor, would it look bad?

3 minutes ago, joe_ollie909 said:

If I played games at 1440p, on the 4K monitor, would it look bad?

Can't really tell, but why would you do that ? Rather use upscaling it'll does the same but look better

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Can't really tell, but why would you do that ? Rather use upscaling it'll does the same but look better

Was just thinking if i wanted to get abit more FPS i'd switch to 1440p resolution as I assume playing at 4k while turning settings down wouldn't look as good as 1440p on high settings. Sorry, I am fairly new to PC gaming so just trying to understand.

4 minutes ago, joe_ollie909 said:

Was just thinking if i wanted to get abit more FPS i'd switch to 1440p resolution as I assume playing at 4k while turning settings down wouldn't look as good as 1440p on high settings. Sorry, I am fairly new to PC gaming so just trying to understand.

What I've said, use upscaling tech, DLSS on NVidia, FSR and Xess on all

It makes the engine generate lower res graphics (usually around 1 "level" less at "balanced" setting, so 1440p for 4K) and then upscale it to your screen resolution, so you don't have the smearing and fuzziness from running non native res

DLSS has better quality, then XeSS then FSR (at least FSR2, didn't try yet FSR3 which is only available on a few games)

And sure you can lower graphics to High/med and still have very nice graphics