Intel's Response to 2nd Generation Ryzen CPU's

InitializingDev

I've been fully expecting (actually hoping) the cheaper 300 series mobos to become available in April, but not sure about this new Chip.  I couldn't care if Intel release another HEDT CPU, I just want to be able to choose between equally priced Zen2 and CL.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The rumor is we'll be getting "Coffee Lake-R" in Q3. That's the Z390 boards, some extra Coffee Lake models and the 8c part. This seems to coincide with some low-power devices being called "Whiskey Lake".

Icelake-S is H1 2019. That'll bring IPC uplift and improved Graphics. The thing that's hard, at the moment, to puzzle out is why bring out an 8c "mainstream" part about 6 months before the replacement comes. Well, it's almost a given that Icelake-S won't clock higher than Coffee Lake, which means it'll be an efficiency upgrade but it's those clocks that matter. It's also very possible that Z370 won't support Icelake-S either, which is why they'll be switching to Z390 for more cores & for Icelake-S that follows soon after.

The interesting thing will be if they implement some functions that can clock 3-4 cores very near the single-core boost. That would make an 8c Coffee Lake part pretty much the best Graphic & Video Production workstation for businesses. (Puget Systems testing is sort of hilarious in this regard.) That reason, along with it becoming the "gaming" part if Icelake-S doesn't meet the task makes sense.

As for gaming, the 8c part will be slower than the 8700k in practically all games, as it won't clock as high, with the exception of likely 2: Ashes of the Benchmark & AC:Origins. 6 cores is going to be the sweet spot for gaming for a while, just given the rate at which "more cores" scales.

One other detail: the Coffee Lake-R CPUs should have the first mitigations for Spectre/Meltdown on chip. Almost assuredly microcode rather than design changes, but it'll be interesting to find out. That does matter as Cascade Lake-X & -SP are launching around the same time.

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Still no H/B motherboards for CL9_9

April. fingers crossed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

90% of your average consumer would see no difference going from a Dual core hyper/quad core to a quad hyper/6core. Browsing reddit and watching youtube isn't exactly intensive.

I guess I'm confused by this reasoning. Sure that is the most that the "normies" have actual need for. But remember when you had to fork over ~$180 to get a true quad core? Now with the i3-8100 you can get one for $120.

But yes let's jump behind Intel's CHOICE to not put more cores in the top mainstream teir, clearly the lower tiers don't benefit from that at all...

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Because it outperformed the competition with half the physical cores, i'm not arguing competition is a bad thing but most consumers still don't need anything more than a hyperthreaded dual core, or at most a quad core. Anyway this cpu might be the "9700K" 8 core everyone was wanting when Z370 was released.

Did those consumers need to pay the same 350$ to get that same quad core for 6 years in a row? Maybe most people really have no use for higher core counts, but that doesn't change they have been paying inflated prices for quite a while.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

it's ultimately only going to delay Icelake and 10nm even further.

will intel ever be able to reach 10nm, I wonder? they are struggling with 12nm while AMD already has it (ok, ok, via globalfoundries, but they still have it)

8 hours ago, Notional said:

They already are though. The best engines out there are so highly multi threaded they can use at least 8 threads. 

Engines being able to use 8 threads does not mean the games built from them will.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

So long as it has at least 20 or 24 PCIe lanes then I'll jump on it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The question I have, is how much will it cost.  Since Intel is still using monolithic dies, the failure rates are going to be higher compared to AMD.  I'm expecting somewhere in the $500+ range, maybe $450 if Intel takes a bit of a cut in their profits in order to more directly compete against AMD (referring to price, not performance).

48 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Engines being able to use 8 threads does not mean the games built from them will.

Using cores isn't the same as fully using those cores.

3 hours ago, imreloadin said:

I guess I'm confused by this reasoning. Sure that is the most that the "normies" have actual need for. But remember when you had to fork over ~$180 to get a true quad core? Now with the i3-8100 you can get one for $120.

But yes let's jump behind Intel's CHOICE to not put more cores in the top mainstream teir, clearly the lower tiers don't benefit from that at all...

I'm not jumping behind it. Why are you trying to read between the lines when nothing exists between them? Without any actual competition from AMD, Intel was able to focus almost completely on power savings and clock speed improvements instead of core count because the former would affect the average consumer much more than cores.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

15 hours ago, Notional said:

Well isn't that something? Intel spamming quad core "high end" CPU's for almost a decade. AMD finally gets competitive after suffering massively from Intel's illegal conspiracies. And suddenly, just a year after Ryzen launched, Intel has octo core high end mainstream CPU's coming. It's almost as if market leaders abusing their power, is bad for consumers and the market in general *caughGPPcaugh*. Almost like proper competition gives us better and cheaper products.

Without Ryzen, this product would not exist. Support the companies that actually makes the market better for us consumers for more of this. 

More like AMD finally ships a product that isn't completely, and undeniably worse than their competition and finally things start moving again.

Like looking back at reviews from bulldozer launch, and even the X6 before it, it was clear AMD sat on their asses for way too long. It is impressive they were able to stay alive at all through so many years of actual crap.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Who wants to take bets on how long it'll be after launch before it's atually available? 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

2 minutes ago, Daegun said:

Who wants to take bets on how long it'll be after launch before it's atually available? 

Depends.  The 8xxx series was delayed because Intel rushed the launch, or at least that's my interpretation of events.  Which makes sense, considering that it takes several months of full production to have sufficient quantities for delivery around the world.  If Intel holds back long enough to actually build up a decent supply, then it could be plentifully available at launch.  If they push up the launch date just so they can say it's out, then you'll see the same shortages as with the 6-core 8th gens.

12 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Depends.  The 8xxx series was delayed because Intel rushed the launch, or at least that's my interpretation of events.  Which makes sense, considering that it takes several months of full production to have sufficient quantities for delivery around the world.  If Intel holds back long enough to actually build up a decent supply, then it could be plentifully available at launch.  If they push up the launch date just so they can say it's out, then you'll see the same shortages as with the 6-core 8th gens.

Just meant as a joke about about the previous launch. Seeing as how they're announcing this one ahead of time, unless they move it forward again for some reason they'll probably be fine.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."