Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

On 1/13/2018 at 12:35 PM, Bhav said:

STOP REMINDING ME OF MY POOR UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILDHOOD :(

(jokes, please continue). 

Things could have been worse BTW-you could have been given an equally cheap Stealth III S540 based graphics card......
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diamond-stealth-iii-s540-xtreme-review,129-4.html

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Things could have been worse BTW-you could have been given an equally cheap Stealth III S540 based graphics card......
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diamond-stealth-iii-s540-xtreme-review,129-4.html

Shudders. Its no surprise that all the other graphics card companies went bankrupt, and dumb 3DFX were like 'lul we don't need no hardware T&L yet ... OMG, WTF, our master card is now light years behind the Geforce 2 and more expensive?'. Bye bye.

At that point Nvidia was on major domination mode and only ATi managed to keep up, mainly from OEM and being used in prebuild sales.

Linus is my fetish.

10 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Shudders. Its no surprise that all the other graphics card companies went bankrupt, and dumb 3DFX were like 'lul we don't need no hardware T&L yet ... OMG, WTF, our master card is now light years behind the Geforce 2 and more expensive?'. Bye bye.

At that point Nvidia was on major domination mode and only ATi managed to keep up, mainly from OEM and being used in prebuild sales.

Another part of 3DFX's problem was 32bit colour support (or lack of it). Lets just say that the remnants of their team who were behind the Geforce FX series did a terrible job, and the performance hit going from 16bit to 32bit was awful. Unlike the Geforce 6000 series which as far as I can tell didn't involve them (I've seen slightly higher performance with 32bit colours on my Geforce 6200A 512MB over 16bit colours, and it runs perfectly under Windows 98SE as well).

I still regret buying my Geforce FX5500 256MB and an aftermarket cooler for it. Its just terrible compared to the 6200A (which also handles DVD's better).

PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Another part of 3DFX's problem was 32bit colour support (or lack of it). Lets just say that the remnants of their team who were behind the Geforce FX series did a terrible job, and the performance hit going from 16bit to 32bit was awful. Unlike the Geforce 6000 series which as far as I can tell didn't involve them (I've seen slightly higher performance with 32bit colours on my Geforce 6200A 512MB over 16bit colours, and it runs perfectly under Windows 98SE as well).

I still regret buying my Geforce FX5500 256MB and an aftermarket cooler for it. Its just terrible compared to the 6200A (which also handles DVD's better).

They did add 32 bit colour to the Voodoo 4 and 5, but no one bought them and the performance loss was dire in 32 bit (Pretty sure even the Geforce 2 MX was better). The rage fury 128 (pro) cards actually had next to no performance loss in 32 bit, same with all of Atis following cards (mine was actually a pro). But I guess I didn't realize just how terrible my K62 was for gaming.

And indeed, the whole Geforce 5 series was a dud, the single worst line from Nvidia while the Ati 9700 / 9800 cards were superior in every way.

Linus is my fetish.

Remember when rounded IDE cables were cool?  Remember when you could buy them that way OR if you were adventurous you could slice and zip tie your own for better airflow than stock?

I no longer have the drive or the PCI card for DVD hardware decoding, but I still have the Creative Labs IR Remote that used a serial port.  Slick little remote for way back in the day.  I've kept it thinking I would someday use it for a project (that I'm likely never going to have time for)

20180114_174428.jpg.d3375afd1919a73757d1dd884c1c4efc.jpg

Gravis XTerminator.  Gamepad only.  I played SO MUCH Mechwarrior 2 with this thing.  I've thought about using it as a candidate to convert to USB, but should probably just buy something else instead.

20180114_174538.jpg.76d098265b24942c0ce71747d1576ea5.jpg

The smallest desktop hard drives I still have (I remember using 20 megabyte hard drives).  428Mb in the back, I went through a stack and dismantled / destroyed / disposed of a bunch over the holidays.  The one in the foreground is another DIY project from years ago.  Remove cover, cut and replace case with lexan.  Setup the drive so it faces out of the custom window in your PC (because you had to diy your own case windows) and watch the heads move all around when you're using the PC.  It'd move a lot because the drive was constantly fragmented.

20171219_165436.thumb.jpg.ac4c3120ac05cfe59d80990df80b58f3.jpg

1 hour ago, timdine said:

The smallest desktop hard drives I still have (I remember using 20 megabyte hard drives).  428Mb in the back, I went through a stack and dismantled / destroyed / disposed of a bunch over the holidays.  The one in the foreground is another DIY project from years ago.  Remove cover, cut and replace case with lexan.  Setup the drive so it faces out of the custom window in your PC (because you had to diy your own case windows) and watch the heads move all around when you're using the PC.  It'd move a lot because the drive was constantly fragmented.

I think you need to reword 'smallest' to 'lowest capacity', because good golly, only 20 mb in something that massive?

Nu 1 will Eva need moer den 1 megabyte of stoerij.

Linus is my fetish.

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

I think you need to reword 'smallest' to 'lowest capacity', because good golly, only 20 mb in something that massive?

Nu 1 will Eva need moer den 1 megabyte of stoerij.

Lowest capacity for sure.

The old 20mb drive was way larger than these 3.5" drives.  The old 20mb drive from a 286 is long gone, it would have been a 5.25" wide internal drive and quite tall too.  

On 1/15/2018 at 7:05 AM, Bhav said:

the whole Geforce 5 series was a dud, the single worst line from Nvidia while the Ati 9700 / 9800 cards were superior in every way.

How dare you sir! Just for that I'm putting a 5900 Ultra in 1200 or Butts. 

Doom 3 ran way better on my overclocked FX 5600 than my 9800 Pro.

Primary: i5 4670K @ 4.5 / 2 x GTX 980 / 32 GB DDR3 / 2 x 850 EVO / 12 TB RAID 10 / Windows 10 + Mac OS

Secondary: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 / GTX 770 / 6 GB DDR2 / 1TB HDD / Windows 10 + Kubuntu

Laptop: Chromebook Pixel / i5 3427U / 4 GB DDR3 / 64GB SSD / Kubuntu

25 minutes ago, floatingtrem said:

Please. Burn those bad graphics cards. You're making your legacy rig suffer.

PMSL

im currently loading linux mint on a system i built a decade ago. Sunbeam clear acrylic case, gigabyte mobo, athlon x2 be (965) and a 4800 series radeon with 4gb of ram running at 1300. 

10 hours ago, floatingtrem said:

*Triggered by things that non techies say.

Linus is my fetish.

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

*Triggered by things that non techies say.

I was mostly kidding, but I recall having issues running Doom 3 on my Radeon right when it came out, and ATI driver issues in general (remember Omega drivers?).  I know that I ended up playing the game on my FX 5600 for some reason or another.

Yeah, the Radeons where the Champions of that era, but the FX series has a bad rap.

(Also the 5900 Ultra is NV35, a revised and much better chip than the NV30 most FXs are based on.)

Primary: i5 4670K @ 4.5 / 2 x GTX 980 / 32 GB DDR3 / 2 x 850 EVO / 12 TB RAID 10 / Windows 10 + Mac OS

Secondary: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 / GTX 770 / 6 GB DDR2 / 1TB HDD / Windows 10 + Kubuntu

5 minutes ago, floatingtrem said:

I was mostly kidding, but I recall having issues running Doom 3 on my Radeon right when it came out, and ATI driver issues in general (remember Omega drivers?).  I know that I ended up playing the game on my FX 5600 for some reason or another.

Yeah, the Radeons where the Champions of that era, but the FX series has a bad rap.

(Also the 5900 Ultra is NV35, a revised and much better chip than the NV30 most FXs are based on.)

The FX 5900 just worked because they underclocked it and added 256 bit vram, literally it was simply what the FX 5800 should have been in the first place.

The FX 5800 was just Nvidia's single biggest joke ever. Then again, its not surprising if in fact the 3DFX people that they acquired are who worked on it, given how equally dreadful the Voodoo 4 and 5 were.

Linus is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, Bhav said:

The FX 5900 just worked because they underclocked it and added 256 bit vram, literally it was simply what the FX 5800 should have been in the first place.

And a 5800 still outperforms a 9700 Pro, it was just too little too late for too much money, at the time. Fifteen years later? Who cares?

(edit: sorry, meant 9700, not 9800)

2 minutes ago, floatingtrem said:

And a 5800 still outperforms a 9700 Pro, it was just too little too late for too much money, at the time. Fifteen years later? Who cares?

(edit: sorry, meant 9700, not 9800)

It did? Well the 9800 pro was already out by then anyway.

And would you really have wanted that little better performance with the 5800 along with its dustbuster cooler? 

Linus is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Bhav said:

It did? Well the 9800 pro was already out by then anyway.

And would you really have wanted that little better performance with the 5800 along with its dustbuster cooler? 

I mean, no, I bought a 9800 Pro at the time. But it's 15 years later and I'm water cooling. 

I had so much old stuff but I sold it all, and also I initially used photobucket for uploading my build pics on and they now want to charge me to get those pics back :(

I might actually recheck that, I want my old pics back dammit!

Oh wait, I logged in and I can see my pictures, they just cant be linked. Now to findout if I can re download all those 400+ old build pics.

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

I had so much old stuff but I sold it all, and also I initially used photobucket for uploading my build pics on and they now want to charge me to get those pics back :(

I might actually recheck that, I want my old pics back dammit!

I am so sad about all the images I've lost due to hosting issues... I have an entire modded rig I spent forever on (and it was gorgeous) with zero documentation to show for it.

I'm not sure how old qualifies as retro but my cpu's and motherboard are from 2009 (I think, I don't remember actually)

Anywho I have the EVGA SR-2, it is getting older but it is still pretty awesome

20171028_155300.thumb.jpg.34ebc0ed099edd94783e7e5a7172d82f.jpg

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

34 minutes ago, floatingtrem said:

I am so sad about all the images I've lost due to hosting issues... I have an entire modded rig I spent forever on (and it was gorgeous) with zero documentation to show for it.

I found and still have access to a load of old pics, Im just combing through my photobucket account, deleting all the gaming screenshots, then will download and back up my old build pics on my quadruple backup plan (SSD, Raid 1 HDDs, External HDD, Onedrive / imgur). 

Well, there are some great old gaming screenshots I'll also be keeping. I'll be posting such stuff later after sorting through it all.

Just came across amazing screenshots of both Age of Conan and Lord of The Rings Online. The former is still crap, the latter I have a premium lifetime account for with free monthly points and should probably try checking it out again (I'll have maybe ten thousands worth of points stocked up on there by now lol).

Also I had loads of pics on Imageshack, but I think they actually deleted them all unlike my photobucket ones which just needed me to pay to link them.

Linus is my fetish.

Well all my imageshack images are whited out unless I pay.

Its $3.99 a month, Im gonna pay for one month via paypal, get everything downloaded then reverse the payment, ****ing scums holding my photos hostage.

Well and that didnt fix my images. Theres a repair image thing but I'd have to do them one by one, I'll have to email their customer support if they have any.

Yea nvm, googling reveals that Imageshack deleted all the images on free accounts. I filed a paypal chargeback, albeit making sure for certain that the images cant be restored. If they can they can keep the tree fiddy. But if not fuck em.

Linus is my fetish.

50 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I'm not sure how old qualifies as retro but my cpu's and motherboard are from 2009 (I think, I don't remember actually)

Anywho I have the EVGA SR-2, it is getting older but it is still pretty awesome

Ooohhhh.... that is some sexy dual action. I would love to have that setup as my daily driver :x