Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

On 10/14/2021 at 3:19 PM, Bitter said:

If it can play Fortnite it doesn't belong here. /s

I get ths /s, but I cant paly fortnite on my a10 9600p laptop, should it go here?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

UT99, GTA Vice City, Oldschool RuneScape, the Sims 2, Halo CE, along with some cad and drawing programs, and with the sound card I got it can play 192khz 24 bit flacs, so music playback.

Nice! I haven't played Runescape in years, I wonder if my old account is still kicking... I had a Santa hat after all 🤣 Sims 2 was my jam for a long time, I even have it installed on my main rig (with a configuration file edit cause it has no idea what to do with the video card for graphics settings so defaulted to low on everything). I'm planning to install it the my t43p, may even try it on the t40. Need for speed porsche unleashed and underground 2 are on mine too... Vice city would be a lot of fun. Played a lot of that at my cousins back when it was new.

Just now, James Evens said:

Do you own the 701C?

Unfortunately no, the 380D is my oldest and the 701s are getting to be silly money. That keyboard though...

15 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Yes, this is how I normally activate xp and windows 7 machines. Once it sends you the text, you can go back and use the link many times as well so you don't have to call in every time. It is definitely faster than the phone...

Another tidbit, windows 7 keys still work to activate windows 10

Thanks for the 7/10 key tip. I'll def use that since I have way more 7 keys than 10 keys that are unused.

Also, the link expires a few hours after you use it for the 1st time but within that time span you can use it as much as you want.

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I get ths /s, but I cant paly fortnite on my a10 9600p laptop, should it go here?

I could technically play Fork Knife on every PC in my room right now and many are on the retro thread.

The game would launch at least? Does that count?

Perhaps the 32 bit p4 would struggle as idk if there's an x86 version but the Athlon 64 fully supports it! (except for yknow that whole SSE4 thing)

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

I could technically play Fork Knife on every PC in my room right now and many are on the retro thread.

The game would launch at least? Does that count?

Perhaps the 32 bit p4 would struggle as idk if there's an x86 version but the Athlon 64 fully supports it! (except for yknow that whole SSE4 thing)

Theres no x86 version, onlt x64. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 9/3/2021 at 1:58 AM, Gianthamster said:

Looks like a Sapphire Radeon X1300 Pro after some googling for you.

One way I like to identify stuff is by the FCC ID number that's usually on everything, just google that

30 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Thanks for the 7/10 key tip. I'll def use that since I have way more 7 keys than 10 keys that are unused.

Also, the link expires a few hours after you use it for the 1st time but within that time span you can use it as much as you want.

I've gone back and used the link weeks after before. Maybe they've changed it but it did work for a long time.

Yeah, I've got lots of now unused 7 keys haha it still works doing an install. Just pop your 7 key right in when 10 asks for it and it should work. Needs to be like versions in pro key for pro home for home but I'm not complaining 😝

On 12/19/2013 at 1:29 PM, DoubleY said:

Just because you're 12, doesn't mean you can't have old computer parts. I have some Core 2 Duo, and a Nvidia 8800 GTS or something like that.

Yeah I have a ton of ancient tech and I'm 14. 

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

One way I like to identify stuff is by the FCC ID number that's usually on everything, just google that

No joke, I've got a Compaq laptop that has the FCC ID number "H8ntai" (specifically h8ntai-27108-m5-e)

It's a Presario 1685 I restored recently, the same number is used for a couple modem cards with model numbers corresponding to the internal modem expansion card the laptop has.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

No joke, I've got a Compaq laptop that has the FCC ID number "H8ntai" (specifically h8ntai-27108-m5-e)

@sub68here is your new laptop

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

6 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

More like @TheCoder2019

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

6 minutes ago, sub68 said:

More like @TheCoder2019

13 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Give me.

I need.

GIVEEEEE MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

1 hour ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Lmao that's awesome! Looks like it's in really good shape too! Specs?

I bought it for $45 in untested condition on eBay. Only repairs it needed was a replacement of the original (strangely 4327 mb) HDD, which would not move the heads, and reglueing of the plastic hinge covers.

It has a 380 mHz K6-2 CPU, 64 mb of soldered DDR and a 128gb expansion stick in the slot on the back. ATI Rage XL video accelerator and Sound Blaster 16 audio as well. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the display is active matrix as it seems very fluid for an early LCD panel. It boots Windows 98 from a 4gb CF card. One of my favorite things about it as well is that it has 2 PCMCIA slots, a fairly rapid DVD-ROM and not just a CD drive, and a floppy without needing swapping of bays or anything. The JBL speakers are clear, crisp and quite good sounding especially by new laptop standards. Fairly high end machine at the time. The INTERNET ZONE doesn't work as I haven't been able to find drivers for it but I've kept an eye out for other models with original drives and broken screens/keyboards, or factory restore discs to hopefully get that sorted out. Sadly the battery does not hold a charge and the cost of a new one is 3x what I paid for the laptop and repair parts, but I don't need it and the laptop has a battery door so it still looks complete with the battery removed. And it's a good pound and a half lighter without the massive NiCD. 

The plastics especially of palmrest are starting to wear out and become sticky but otherwise it's in great condition.

Ooh presario, lemme check my armada... but no, no FCC id on it, maybe they only added the sticker on US-sold models 😞

P2 366, also 64+128MB RAM (I tried putting a 256MB stick and it kinda half works but unreliably so went back to 128).

Same ATI GPU, also booting 98 from 4GB CF as the  5GB HDD was also dead. My CD drive is dead too unfortunately but battery is top notch, holds a good 2 hours. Display is gorgeous, and yes the speakers are exceptional for something of this era. The 98 startup sound has incredible soundstage for some reason... There are 2 holes on the side and in the photos before buying it I thought they were broken covers or something, but no they're actually bass ports!

Had to glue the left hinge back together.

IMG_20211030_141305.thumb.jpg.1596028f5e0c7b7c74b76f5daa314d27.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, James Evens said:

Do you own the 701C?

I had one and they’re terrible. The biggest problem with specifically the 701’s but also a lot of other thinkpads of that time are that the batteries like to explode and leak everywhere.

The 701C was a super popular laptop, everyone had a 701c, but tech moved fast and by 1999 you probably replaced your 701c with something else, and then put it in storage.

At which point the battery would leak everywhere and destroy the entire internal board layers of the laptop. That’s why they’re so rare now, the only ones that survived are the ones that were stored without a battery.

The plastic and coating also doesn’t age well, the rubberized layer on them turns to goo and everything sticks, and the plastic gets extremely brittle so taking apart the machine becomes impossible without causing damage.

If you want a 90’s thinkpad, pick up a 380 series, because they’re a dozen times better.

Or just get a superior machine in general, like a micron.

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

I had one and they’re terrible. The biggest problem with specifically the 701’s but also a lot of other thinkpads of that time are that the batteries like to explode and leak everywhere.

The 701C was a super popular laptop, everyone had a 701c, but tech moved fast and by 1999 you probably replaced your 701c with something else, and then put it in storage.

At which point the battery would leak everywhere and destroy the entire internal board layers of the laptop. That’s why they’re so rare now, the only ones that survived are the ones that were stored without a battery.

The plastic and coating also doesn’t age well, the rubberized layer on them turns to goo and everything sticks, and the plastic gets extremely brittle so taking apart the machine becomes impossible without causing damage.

If you want a 90’s thinkpad, pick up a 380 series, because they’re a dozen times better.

Or just get a superior machine in general, like a micron.

The only complaint that I have with my 380D in particular is the passive matrix screen. It's horrid but then really any passive screen is... I would love to get my hands on an active display for one. Other than that it's a great machine. I would love an old Micron P1 or P2 laptop, it would go great with the Millennia that I restored (LMG sleeper build, put it back to stock). They look like great machines and although I've never had a Micron system growing up I have a soft spot for them. Not really sure why tbh but they just seem like they were a quality system back in the day.

Defender of the Crown on an EGA 16 color display, IBM 5170 AT.  Every single expansion slot is filled on this machine (upgrade video on my channel if anyone is interested) 

IMG_20211102_105225_282.thumb.jpg.9c41f023dcde01abb751fdd73621f9d2.jpg

I'm not an expert! In fact I'm usually just 1 google search ahead of you. 

lol did you guys use the computers im 36 and the earliest I remember was the sega master system not the genesis..it was in 1989...these computers seem mighty old how old are you guys

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

lol did you guys use the computers im 36 and the earliest I remember was the sega master system not the genesis..it was in 1989...these computers seem mighty old how old are you guys

Haha, well you're a few years older than I am... I was born in 1990 so am 31. First computer I remember using was a Pentium 100 my dad bought in 1995/96 that ran Windows 95. I like using systems older than that from time to time but most of my collection is 486's on up to Pentium 3's/Thunderbird Athlons.

My oldest system would be my Compaq Portable, oldest working would be probably my 286 or perhaps Atari 1040STfm.

yeah I remember the oldest windows, it was terrible..games on it were 10 years ahead of consoles..some pretty cool games mostly shooter games..my first computer was actually a mac and that was a all in one with like a 9in screen colors(welp) 256 colors...I was 10 and it was good for NSFW..you know computers havent really become usefull for much more than they were originally....just gaming..

we had the internet? internet has been around for a long time....heck I remember webcrawler being the old google. schools had the 1990s macs with interent...thats one advancement media..

media and gaming I suppose..youtube didn't exist no netflix ect like we still had alot of entertainment back in 1995 but now..wow have things changed...too much info not enough time.

gaming has progressed slowly, but internet speed!! i have internet 1000 and back in 1995 if someone told me about internet 1000 I would be thinking yeah ok maybe in 50 years, its advanced so fast heck now my cell phone does 300mbps

also I say gaming has progressed slowly because, back when it was all sprites they were really pushing 3d and when it came it advanced pretty fast..things started looking better and better by quite a bit..now crysis farcry from like more than a decade ago can still make new games run for it..I just played dirt 5 and thought wow this looks good, but when I compare it to a ten year old game its not really a huge jump just the small details..no huge jump..and to be honest games should look photo realistic by now, no excuse as to why they dont, ray tracing can allow perfect lighting and reflections and texture mapping has advanced enough as well as svogi ect they have all the tools....perhaps crysis 4?