Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No sir, that is Socket 939 pin. DDR-ONE! I'm trying to get something cooking for our in house competition, but my luck has run dry it seems lol. DFI was kind of infamous for no posting. It's just a matter of time, one of these will post up. As long as they get continued use, they should stay good. But it seems when they are packed up for a long time, they just get stubborn.

Similar issue with a Socket A board. Replaced every single cap and it still wouldn't POST.

Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

AM2?

Also by PCIE3... what is that connector? Then the Molex power connector on the board...

Wow, that's fantastic. 

Oh that's like auxiliary power to the 24 pin. 100% competitive design and gaming performance gains. Far more in depth than todays one click overclocking. 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Similar issue with a Socket A board. Replaced every single cap and it still wouldn't POST.

Good luck! 

Yeah, I've gone through a lot of boards. Especially on this socket. My first 939 gaming board was A8N32-SLI deluxe. I also got into chilled and sub zero cooling methods during this time. 

That reminds me, I need to hack up the old dehumidifier in my basement for the heat exchangers in it....

The Abit 775 board I have has an aux Molex on it and an 8 pin. Molex power was for the fan headers I think so that the CPU and board got all the power. 130W extra seems a bit overkill but hey it was Abit in their heyday.

Yay, I'm able to set up the timer on that 6522 I just upgraded with and count interrupts from it 😛

167196795_21-11-2501-07-340119.thumb.jpg.20d440f51b49eb8fcfc3e155cd13cbc4.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh that's like auxiliary power to the 24 pin. 100% competitive design and gaming performance gains. Far more in depth than todays one click overclocking. 

Love it. 

I'd totally buy a board like that but they've remained pretty expensive on eBay and since I live in middle of nowhere-ville I can't quite pick one up locally, and all that's left in the ewaste bin is netbooks since I've taken all of the good stuff. 

One of these fellas will be coming in next week.

Spoiler

fw.thumb.jpeg.e9fbe958cdc52d4aa96048a7be359d56.jpeg

(not my picture)

Will make file sharing between Mac mini and Jankinator quite a bit easier

elephants

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Love those old BigFoot drives, absolute unit and such a long satisfying spinup.

Yes. If only Quantum drives were a bit more reliable... 

I've probably said this but one of my favorite things about the Optiplex 760 I use as one of my testbench systems (as it supports literally everything from XP-11) is that it spins up each drive one by one about half a second apart. So if you've got 6 drives in there, it'll floppy seek, then you've got a good ~10 seconds of spinup and seek noises from the various 0-100 bad sector Caviars. 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Love it. 

I'd totally buy a board like that but they've remained pretty expensive on eBay and since I live in middle of nowhere-ville I can't quite pick one up locally, and all that's left in the ewaste bin is netbooks since I've taken all of the good stuff. 

Funny you've caught me as I'm going to try and post this board now. 

Installed a 4000+ Athlon and XFX 7600 GT and a set of Adata.

Cross your fingers and wish it luck. lol. Power LED = active. So that's good.

Installed a brand new cmos battery. Cleared cmos.

Now just gotta switch the video over and see what's what.

But yeah, getting rare now. I've been looking around. Ultra B or Ultra D would be cool. Not the best of the DFI boards, but still pretty decent clockers. These are sought after over the Asus boards. That seemed to change once AM2 came out, DFI still manufacturing on that platform, but in most forums it was Asus or Gigabyte. So DFI kinda faded away after that.

I've got one of the rarer gold fan BFG PPUs (that I am attempting to fix, lost a cap)

See the source image

And hey look, there's a matching 6600GT!

See the source image

I'll try to track down one of these, preferably boxed...

Any recommended games that use PPU PhysX? Since dedicated cards were only around for 2 years or so it can be a bit difficult to track down titles. So far, only one I've found that is feasible to obtain and YT appropriate is Crazy Machines 2. 

14 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I've got one of the rarer gold fan BFG PPUs (that I am attempting to fix, lost a cap)

See the source image

And hey look, there's a matching 6600GT!

See the source image

I'll try to track down one of these, preferably boxed...

Any recommended games that use PPU PhysX? Since dedicated cards were only around for 2 years or so it can be a bit difficult to track down titles. So far, only one I've found that is feasible to obtain and YT appropriate is Crazy Machines 2. 

You can't use the Nvidia physx drivers first off. 

And pretty much any game made in 2007 and earlier that supports physx. UT3 I believe has a couple dedicated physx. Tom Clancy ghost recon. One of my favorites was cell factor revolution.

And I got it to post!! YAAAAAY. 

But I fear the windows install is no good. Says s939 XP32 on the drive. But it black screened. Got some work to do! 

4 hours ago, XLer8or said:

DFI lives. C2(x). The DFI Lanparty Blood Iron P45-T2RS Motherboard.

2085024335_IMG_2135(2).jpg.f8839027f1807f8ff28266df0ece50da.jpg

Gotta nice set of XMS Corsair in there too!! 

@Mel0nMan I did get some overclocking done last night. But here's a screeny for that. It's probably got some more frequency, but will have to work on that. 

751285339_4000WPrime1024compI.thumb.png.6f38ac3b06ba649b8303241feab7d7a8.png

Don't underestimate that little fan on the Wraith Prism...... Ahem, no, I mean Opteron Heat Pipe Cooler. Also shipped with 140w Phenom chips. The fan, well it moves substantial CFM. I have not looked up the specs. 

20211126_230617.thumb.jpg.7434eb628299edb9a27414effdba39c9.jpg

14 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

@Mel0nMan I did get some overclocking done last night. But here's a screeny for that. It's probably got some more frequency, but will have to work on that. 

Now, you know I'm gonna have to beat that.....

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

Now, you know I'm gonna have to beat that.....

Oh that was to bring life to the thread. That chip is only good for 2.8ghz. Anyone can beat it. Only 2650mhz. Haha. I swapped for a different ClawHammer that took me an hour to straighten out probably 80 or 100 pins. Just an old FX-55. 

One thing I do know, bring 3ghz+ ambient chip to the table, or go LN2. Which I won't be doing as I'm down to only 1 working board now.... but at least it's working.

16 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Nforce 4 was quite a MB chipset from Nvidia too.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, XLer8or said:

I did a retro build a few years back.  Heres a rare look at the 3DFX Voodoo2 and ATI 850XT AGP.  The Voodoo2 Was the Original Quake2/Half-LIfe1 era 3D accelerator. Now there is RTX.  Nvidia bought 3dfx and has IPs. Of course ATI is AMD now. It used its own api like the Voodoo1 and they were a secondary add-on. Its dirty from basement. Notice the ribbon connector, its SLI in early form. PCI!

Edit: its a ATI 850XT PE AGP. PE = Platinum Edition

IMG_2110.jpg.c6634cd8501bd706f5033b0275d1077b.jpg

The ATI was a Half-Life 2 release release and the Voodoo2 was a Half-Life 1 (Quake2 too) release. HL2 was the one for Steam.

Turned on one of my XP systems to get a file off of it and ended up also playing UT 2004 for a good hour. Runs quite well on the GeForce 6800 PCIe, the single core Athlon 64 3200+ is a bit of a bottleneck. Thinking of investing a whole $5 in a dual core CPU compatible with my board... 

A good cross gen Bench you can use today is HL2's Lost Cost. Will work in XP and AGP to todays generation of GFX cards.

Edit: A good target would be 70+ FPS, 125FPS best. 300+ is tooo much.  The good ones can be old.

17 minutes ago, XLer8or said:

A good cross gen Bench you can use today is HL2's Lost Cost. Will work in XP and AGP to todays generation of GFX cards.

Edit: A good target would be 70+ FPS, 125FPS best. 300+ is tooo much.  The good ones can be old.

I'm an old HL2 junky. 

We had the most popular kill box server. Towers map 247. 

#2 most used gaming server on clan servers.

AlphaBean TDM Arena was the server name.

We where partners with many clans and people. I miss those days.

its constantly updated and secure.  Cheaters and hackers banned from Steam.

Edit: do 165FPS target for TF2... A ace team game for older HW.

edit2 DO HL1 too for orange box ect. I think you can do a HL1 standalone purchase.  TF1 is there.  priming 'nades is super & infectus medics is cool.

5 minutes ago, XLer8or said:

its constantly updated and secure.  Cheaters and hackers banned from Steam.

Edit: do 165FPS target for TF2... A ace team game for older HW.

The game went down hill when COD 4 was released. Our server dropped on the charts though.

Here you can see listed AlphaBean TDM Arena as 16th place. Which it has dropped down through the years. Server hasn't been up for a decade at least.

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?rulename=version&ruleval=1.0.0.11