Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

32 minutes ago, XLer8or said:

A good cross gen Bench you can use today is HL2's Lost Cost. Will work in XP and AGP to todays generation of GFX cards.

Edit: A good target would be 70+ FPS, 125FPS best. 300+ is tooo much.  The good ones can be old.

Oh I think I have that installed. I should pause mining and see how badly my Vega56 obliterates it LOL.

26 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Oh I think I have that installed. I should pause mining and see how badly my Vega56 obliterates it LOL.

can you turn down mining a little yet?  125FPS is ok. Just dont admit.

Edit.  With this bench you can do/set/config/opt for other distro platforms like Origin or Epic ect....   Indy/older games run good @ 125fps.

Edit 2: even i3s and AMD equiv.

9 hours ago, XLer8or said:

can you turn down mining a little yet?  125FPS is ok. Just dont admit.

Edit.  With this bench you can do/set/config/opt for other distro platforms like Origin or Epic ect....   Indy/older games run good @ 125fps.

Edit 2: even i3s and AMD equiv.

Just for laughs, 1440P, everything maxed, don't even know what power state the Vega got into but I don't think it ramped up full power. 298 FPS for Lost Coast benchmark, I wish it gave me more than just the avg FPS cause I thought I felt some dips.  Ran it at 1080P and same 298 FPS avg so I think that's a game engine cap, also at 1080P the Vega never ran above 70W or 1260Mhz, full tilt is more like 250+W and 1500+Mhz. That was fun. Wonder what my GTX 960 4GB does? I remember my 6800 Ultra OC struggling at 1600x1200 with this game back in the day, but I had some lighting and high res texture mods running too. Looked amazingly good!

1 hour ago, luckybob77 said:

@ShrimpBrime

OMG...  I know those fans...  I can *HEAR* that picture...

Haha yeah it screams!!

I have the fan set to full max duty cycle at 43c. And it's holding the cpu 1.65v 44c. Lol. But if I increase it, then the cpu temp increases. Low 40c is a great running temp on air with that much voltage. 

No retro parts I own, but I did find that I had a system build wishlist saved on Newegg from late 2011:

• Gigabyte GA-880GA-UDH3
  • AMD Phenom II X2 555
  • Diamond HD 5570
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x4gb 1333 DDR3
  • Antec EarthWatts 500w 80 Bronze PSU
  • WD Blue 320gb
  • LG BluRay burner
  • Some cheap HEC case

Not a single part in stock anymore, haha. Also not a very well balanced system, 16gb of ram would have been stupid overkill on a 2 core machine with a 1gb DDR3 video card.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

im 36(good for me) but i remember my old mac my dad gave me and guys man o man are you spoiled...I remember playing vette one of the first truly 3d games and sirs it was bad like really bad now look at gta v simply amazing....you can literrally go around and have fun doing whatever you want and not even play the story for like 100s of hours..games have come a long way since 1985 but not so much since half life 2..

2 minutes ago, Purcariu86 said:

-snip-

Those CF Microdrives are fantastic...

What speed does yours top out at (if you have a working one)? Mine does about 3mb/sec sequential over USB 2.0 but is an earlier IBM 1gb model.

5 minutes ago, Purcariu86 said:

not sure ....y  think are all the  same...find in  mp3 sony..

Used mine in a Sony camera till I sold it, now I use the drive to store small files, Mines not too reliable, sometimes it won’t spin up or the head doesn’t seem properly.

Loading drivers from ZIP disk…

Laptop won’t recognize usb mass storage without drivers so I can’t load the drivers from usb so I’ll transfer the 10 drivers, about 100 total mb, from a usb drive to the Zip disk on another pc then load them from there.

A26BA454-F135-48A5-80E1-3121B3285B77.thumb.jpeg.90b54b57ba7c92dee7a0157dbb18ed11.jpeg

School it department had a boxed drive with the original software as well!

Oh and the fan on this laptop wasn’t working earlier but I guess just me moving it around while walking with it for a few minutes un seized the motor. All good now!

So my former F drive turned out to be a WD Caviar SE16 250GB.

Spoiler

IMG_0555.thumb.JPG.f700a1bd8027f78ae7a2ca943e5769c9.JPGIMG_0556.thumb.JPG.cf174e372df621eb086247321c0c3530.JPG

It sort of works but also sort of doesn't so I'm gonna put it in the closet and maybe occasionally use it as a big "flash drive" for moving things >32GB.

EDIT:

The thing is surprisingly light and apparently single-platter.

It's also only SATA II, and... PMR?

It looked like it had been a Windows boot drive but the Windows bits had been ripped out, so I asked my dad and he said "Yep that sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure when I got the SSD I just did a fresh install of Windows, transferred the license, then got rid of all the Windows parts and used it as file storage."

EDIT #2:
It still lists 0 bad sectors - just some files no longer exist and is "Good" in CrystalDiskInfo.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Hide contents

picture incoming will edit on mobile

It sort of works but also sort of doesn't so I'm gonna put it in the closet and maybe occasionally use it as a big "flash drive" for moving things >32GB.

I've got so many drives that are like that... or for storing huge files that I need but use 1 time a year... or backup of my 2tb offline YouTube video library. Ones I get from the recycling in the IT room could be fine, could have 2000 bad sectors or could just be 100% dead.

13 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Those CF Microdrives are fantastic...

Yup, still use them (I have 3) in my Nikon D1x and Nikon D2x cameras. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:36 PM, FakeKGB said:

Those aren't too bad. I have a few that I've pulled from various systems over the years. Two of them are identical - they shipped in identical computers ordered at the same time in ~2008. One experienced a controller failure, but otherwise works fine. The other drive is the boot drive in my NAS since I don't trust it for much else. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

On 11/30/2021 at 8:34 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Wow that must make my GeForce 6800 a fossil if that's retro...

A 1030 might not be retro by age, but it’s sure as hell retro by performance. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Default is 10x200mhz 1:1 200mhz memory and HT 800mhz. 

Old school gogo juice. Only 45% overclocked.

1959517607_3800x2WPrime1024mVI.thumb.png.76b2b14cc1b8cbb1ad7418c9c04e0b32.png

@BrianTheElectrician

Ahh, the original Voodoo card.

The progenitor of ALL consumer 3d accelerated video cards.

What games did you have planned?