Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Just now, Bitter said:

TechRadar: Windows 11 runs on PC with ancient single-core Intel Pentium 4 CPU. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windows-11-runs-on-pc-with-ancient-single-core-intel-pentium-4-cpu

I think you can do better

@FakeKGB

@Fake

Wait a minute. 

Windows 11 installer wouldn't start for me on my Pentium 4 631 PC! I thought it didn't work on 32 bit systems? 

I even did all of the installer mods, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Wait a minute. 

Windows 11 installer wouldn't start for me on my Pentium 4 631 PC! I thought it didn't work on 32 bit systems? 

I even did all of the installer mods, etc. 

The Cedar Mill P4 used has 64-bit support, that's likely how it was done.

My Prescott has only 32-bit sadly

EDIT:
I might try to Hackintosh it though with Snow Leopard or Lion

elephants

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

TechRadar: Windows 11 runs on PC with ancient single-core Intel Pentium 4 CPU. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windows-11-runs-on-pc-with-ancient-single-core-intel-pentium-4-cpu

I think you can do better

@FakeKGB

@Fake

Oof I can only imagine how terrible that ran... windows 10 runs like a pile of poop on a core 2 so can't imagine 11 on a p4 😳

16 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Oof I can only imagine how terrible that ran... windows 10 runs like a pile of poop on a core 2 so can't imagine 11 on a p4 😳

10 32 bit on a hyperthreaded P4 isn't too terrible. I use it in one of my "if anything goes wrong I'd be fine if this dies" PCs for literally just FurMark and Cinebench 15's OpenGL. 

2 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

I have ran 10 on an E8400, wasn't horrible honestly.

7 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I agree that Windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo is a perfectly serviceable experience given an SSD and enough RAM, though I really prefer running Windows 7 on them.

Agree, ran 7 on that same setup for a long time happily except the difficult to find drivers for the Abit board, 10 actually seemed to handle the board drivers better than 7! The worst was XP and loading SATA drivers off a floppy. Honestly, 7 even performed better than XP did on the same hardware. Felt snappier and more fluid and more things 'just worked' without mucking about a bunch and it was overall a more stable experience.

On 12/19/2013 at 3:25 PM, TheTechnerd said:

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz 

That's retro? I basically run that in my computer 8 years later!

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

3 minutes ago, EDKTech said:

That's retro? I basically run that in my computer 8 years later!

We are around the point where the systems the people had at the start of this thread could quite possibly be considered old or retro.

✨FNIGE✨

1 minute ago, FnigePython said:

We are around the point where the systems the people had at the start of this thread could quite possibly be considered old or retro.

I'm saying it isn't retro, my computer runs a processor with the same specs.

2 minutes ago, EDKTech said:

I'm saying it isn't retro, my computer runs a processor with the same specs.

Core 2 is retro. That's pre Eyeball sevens. 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Core 2 is retro. That's pre Eyeball sevens. 

Yeah to me it's like awesome lol

Just now, EDKTech said:

Yeah to me it's like awesome lol

Got some retro stuff socket 939 I'm trying to get posted up. My DFI board continues 4 LEDs of death. It's gotta be a hang up, but have a couple swollen caps. Not terrible, just cant get it to like me. All week. Every day. cpu after cpu. ram stick after ram stick. Once it posts, I'm never shutting it off.... well at least I wont want to. lol.

Idk about the 10 on a core 2 haha I run 10 on a thinkpad t500 with a core 2, ssd and can't remember if it's 4 or 8gb of ram. Just use it to look up schematics at work or fire up wintrac for a reefer download. I'll say it's usable bit that's about it haha though it is a 64 bit install.

3 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Idk about the 10 on a core 2 haha I run 10 on a thinkpad t500 with a core 2, ssd and can't remember if it's 4 or 8gb of ram. Just use it to look up schematics at work or fire up wintrac for a reefer download. I'll say it's usable bit that's about it haha though it is a 64 bit install.

Yeah depends what grade of core 2, lol.

I have 11 running on a C2Q E8400 and as long as you give it the best it can have (8GB RAM, SSD, a GPU that decodes modern video, I have a 1030) it flies and you wouldn't think it's that old. Really handles better than a mid-low end modern machine. Kinda nicer to use than my 10th gen laptop too. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Yeah depends what grade of core 2, lol.

I have 11 running on a C2Q E8400 and as long as you give it the best it can have (8GB RAM, SSD, a GPU that decodes modern video, I have a 1030) it flies and you wouldn't think it's that old. Really handles better than a mid-low end modern machine. Kinda nicer to use than my 10th gen laptop too. 

Core 2 Quads are still quite usable today as well. Whenever I find a C2D machine it immediately gets a Q9550, basically doubles its resell value

50 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Core 2 Quads are still quite usable today as well. Whenever I find a C2D machine it immediately gets a Q9550, basically doubles its resell value

If I had need of my 775 system that's what I would do, but even my athlon 200ge trounces it lol.

I did a retro build a few years back.  Heres a rare look at the 3DFX Voodoo2 and ATI 850XT AGP.  The Voodoo2 Was the Original Quake2/Half-LIfe1 era 3D accelerator. Now there is RTX.  Nvidia bought 3dfx and has IPs. Of course ATI is AMD now. It used its own api like the Voodoo1 and they were a secondary add-on. Its dirty from basement. Notice the ribbon connector, its SLI in early form. PCI!

Edit: its a ATI 850XT PE AGP. PE = Platinum Edition

IMG_2110.jpg.c6634cd8501bd706f5033b0275d1077b.jpg

9 minutes ago, XLer8or said:

I did a retro build a few years back.  Heres a rare look at the 3DFX Voodoo2 and ATI 850XT AGP.  The Voodoo2 Was the Original Quake2/Half-LIfe1 era 3D accelerator. Now there is RTX.  Nvidia bought 3dfx and has IPs. Of course ATI is AMD now. It used its own api like the Voodoo1 and they were a secondary add-on. Its dirty from basement. Notice the ribbon connector, its SLI in early form. PCI!

Nice!

So do you just leave both cards in there and "switch between" them when needed? Or is the Voodoo2 just for Glide? Also, gotta love that Molex power connector... 

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Nice!

So do you just leave both cards in there and "switch between" them when needed? Or is the Voodoo2 just for Glide? Also, gotta love that Molex power connector... 

Voodoo's were Glide and OpenGL. Worked best with Glide and the games would allow you to select api/driver.

ATI was very last AGP just when PCI e came. Others were made for compatabilty. XT top GPU.

8 minutes ago, XLer8or said:

Voodoo's were Glide and OpenGL. Worked best with Glide and the games would allow you to select api/driver.

ATI was very last AGP just when PCI e came. Others were made for compatabilty. XT top GPU.

I believe the most powerful AGP GPU is a HD 4650, by AMD. But of course PCIe was around for years at that point

I have one of Nvidia's first PCIe cards, the GeForce 6800. Not a total beast but handles '02-'06 games on high/med. 

Edit: question about that ATI card, I've always wondered this about this series.

Does it intake from the slot side and blow into the case or intake from the case side or blow towards the slot? Seems like it could go either way

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I believe the most powerful AGP GPU is a HD 4650, by AMD. But of course PCIe was around for years at that point

I have one of Nvidia's first PCIe cards, the GeForce 6800. Not a total beast but handles '02-'06 games on high/med. 

Edit: question about that ATI card, I've always wondered this about this series.

Does it intake from the slot side and blow into the case or intake from the case side or blow towards the slot? Seems like it could go either way

ATX = front-to-back/top & out.  It was there then too.

edit: One could supply $ knowing this stuff. Enough for build every year.

Ok board 1 is no go. 

This is Board 2, DFI LanParty SLI-DR.

Also a couple swollen caps. But just a couple. Will see if this one posts up. Poor things been abused in the past. Lol

This one, the chipset fan is even rusty inside. I do not have high hopes at this time haha.

16378658350524637716143683969196.thumb.jpg.0eab52aa3631e3705dfd85a0cb90a8af.jpg

37 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ok board 1 is no go. 

This is Board 2, DFI LanParty SLI-DR.

Also a couple swollen caps. But just a couple. Will see if this one posts up. Poor things been abused in the past. Lol

This one, the chipset fan is even rusty inside. I do not have high hopes at this time haha.

AM2?

Also by PCIE3... what is that connector? Then the Molex power connector on the board...

Wow, that's fantastic. 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

AM2?

Also by PCIE3... what is that connector? Then the Molex power connector on the board...

Wow, that's fantastic. 

No sir, that is Socket 939 pin. DDR-ONE! I'm trying to get something cooking for our in house competition, but my luck has run dry it seems lol. DFI was kind of infamous for no posting. It's just a matter of time, one of these will post up. As long as they get continued use, they should stay good. But it seems when they are packed up for a long time, they just get stubborn.